83 replies to this topic

#46 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Starting Steam is extra step that isn't usually needed, and my comment was based on the assumption that many users might not be starting Steam independently before using SKSE loader.

#47 bitdman

bitdman

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

If you set Steam to start at windows startup then you won't have to worry about it trying to start before the game. Things get real sloppy when Steam tries to start at the same time as something else. I hate Steam!!!!!

#48 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

The Papyrus Script Errors section should include that USKP 1.1 fixes those issues with dust and blue palace (but maybe not the blue palace bug) Shouldn't one include the blue palace thing in the STEP process?

#49 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Useful post about AA and lod bias, sticking it here for reference.

#50 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Interesting and useful thread.

#51 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Posted this before but I can't find it, this is a better spot anyway.

Basic info
Memory Limits for Windows Releases 

If the basic isn't enough check here after, advanced
Pushing the Limits of Windows: Physical Memory

#52 bitdman

bitdman

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Is there an older guy around that can explain what that means in laymans terms? Sorry! I still remember black and white tvs and computers with out windows.

#53 ath3nos

ath3nos

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Is there an older guy around that can explain what that means in laymans terms? Sorry! I still remember black and white tvs and computers with out windows.

I'm with you. After I read your post I'm going to break out my 13 inch black and white and connect my trs-80 to it. Complete with tape deck and 64k expansion pack, lol

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

#54 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

Well as a general rule of thumb: Skyrim's engine is very limited in lots of different ways. There are two basic ways to "improve" Skyrim: Modding and Tweaking. Apparently at some point you either have to scale down on modding or on tweaking because the engine doesn't run smooth anymore. Any tweak that raises ini values by an extra-ordinary amount causes the engine to get a bit closer to breakdown. Any mod that adds more scripts/higher res textures/more esp,-m will do the same. I am sure, that if you increase the mod load enough on skyrim you would even have to tone down the standard ini settings to lower quality ones otherwise you will experience those infinite loads, crashes, etc. Now this means for STEP: We have to update the troubleshooting guide a lot. And I mean A LOT. Plus we should include a comment about infinite loads in the guide itself recommending to revert ini tweaks which have so far been accused of making infinite loads appear more often.

#55 Farlo

Farlo

Dragon Prince

• Site Founders
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:07 AM

Now this means for STEP:
We have to update the troubleshooting guide a lot. And I mean A LOT. Plus we should include a comment about infinite loads in the guide itself recommending to revert ini tweaks which have so far been accused of making infinite loads appear more often.

Then by all means make some edits!  If you think there's an issue common enough that it's worth adding then go ahead and add another tab and write it.

#56 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Well as a general rule of thumb:
Skyrim's engine is very limited in lots of different ways. There are two basic ways to "improve" Skyrim: Modding and Tweaking.
Apparently at some point you either have to scale down on modding or on tweaking because the engine doesn't run smooth anymore.
Any tweak that raises ini values by an extra-ordinary amount causes the engine to get a bit closer to breakdown. Any mod that adds more scripts/higher res textures/more esp,-m will do the same. I am sure, that if you increase the mod load enough on skyrim you would even have to tone down the standard ini settings to lower quality ones otherwise you will experience those infinite loads, crashes, etc.

Now this means for STEP:
We have to update the troubleshooting guide a lot. And I mean A LOT. Plus we should include a comment about infinite loads in the guide itself recommending to revert ini tweaks which have so far been accused of making infinite loads appear more often.

Moved the preceding posts here from the present working thread.

By all means, begin hacking this to relevance! Just leave the "Pristine Skyrim Install" alone, as this is referenced from the STEP Guide (you can see "What links here" for any page.

#57 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

There are 406 threads in the support forum. There are probably another 100 relevant threads in other forums here. I can't see any way I'll be able to make the troubleshooting guide fulfill it's name.

#58 Farlo

Farlo

Dragon Prince

• Site Founders
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

There are 406 threads in the support forum. There are probably another 100 relevant threads in other forums here. I can't see any way I'll be able to make the troubleshooting guide fulfill it's name.

Every bit helps.  If you found a support thread particularly useful and think it's a common enough question then add it on.  Even if your version isn't entirely complete formatted correctly the change will cause others to come along and complete it.  For example, I believe Kemlych made a very minor change to the SIG initially and we ended up re-writing it. 

With that in mind, I'll see about making some edits myself today.

#59 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

It's late here, but tomorrow I'll have a look at it.

#60 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,626 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'm still planning on working on it as well. Just have to figure out my very slow internet situation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users