Question about DDSOPT extraction and optimisation

nubkratos

Question

Hi,

I have extracted and optimized The 3 HRDLC BSA and Skyrim - Textures.BSA according to the DDSOPT guide, now i have a folder " Vanilla Optimized" with 4 folders inside , but i don't now what do to with . I don't understand the step 7 and 8 of the "Optimize the textures" section.

Should i copy those 4 "textures" folders to Skyrim\Data ? Then delete BSA  files ?

7 answers to this question

I'll change the wording in the guide to make it clearer. Steps 7 recommends you archive the 4 folders. You can use 7zip, zip, or rar to archive; like most other STEP users I use 7zip. At the end of step 7 you then have either 4 files, each containing one of the folders, or one file (a "complex BAIN archive" file for use with Wrye Bash) that includes all 4 folders. These (1 or 4) archive files are in the Skyrim\Data directory. In step 8 you move the 4 original BSAs (Skyrim - textures.bsa and the 3 HRDLC BSAs) out of the Data directory into another directory (the name suggested for this directory is "Original Vanilla BSAs").You can put this directory wherever you want, just don't put it in the Data directory.

Archive the 4 texture folders and move the 4 archive files into whichever directory you use for installing mods (e.g., Bash Installers if you are using Wrye Bash). You can then keep or delete the 4 texture folders (I usually keep them). You can keep or delete the 4 BSAs; we generally recommend moving them somewhere else (as discussed in step 8) in case you need them again.

Yes, you can install them directly. To me the main value of the manager is in maintaining and removing mods; this can be very tedious and error-prone if you don't use a manager. That is why we strongly suggest using a manager, in spite of the initial pain of learning how to use the manager.