SKSE -Elys- AltF4 (by Elys)

dstansberry

I am currently testing the mods in 2.2.9.1 and I see that this is included in this release. I have a comment to make that may need to be added to the instructions. I post 18 it is stated that the mod generates a file that is placed into the Overwrite/SKSE/Plugins/SKSE_Elys_Altf4.log. There is no mention of this in the instructions in either the 2.2.9. or 2.2.9.1 versions.

I should note that after installing the mod open the it in an explorer window and create an empty SKSE_Elys_AltF4.log file in SKSE\Plugins. When the game is run it will be populated with the necessary info and there will not be any need to move the file or create a mod out of the overwrite folder.

• 5 months later...

Can someone with a "multimedia" keyboard please remove this mod and test with the latest version of ENBSeries (v0.279) to see if it's still needed? I'm not convinced this is needed in STEP anymore. Keeping it just for those with multimedia keyboards is not a STEP issue from my perspective, but an individual user issue. This mod was added for the Alt+F4 function which is now included in ENBoost since v0.264. If it's kept, I think we should add a note to skip it unless you have a multimedia keyboard...but I'd prefer to remove it completely because we shouldn't be catering to any particular niche, imo.

Are you referring specifically to adjusting the volume in the game without this mod installed/enabled?

Yes, using the multimedia buttons and making sure the Alt+F4 is still working without this mod for those users. ENBoost obviously must be installed.

I don't like having redundant mods in STEP for just a specific niche of users. For those users with multimedia keyboards, this would be better suited in a Pack. Utility Pack, perhaps.

I disabled this mod with ENB 2.7.9 installed and confirmed that Alt+F4 exits the game, but the volume control on the keyboard does not change the volume in the game. The volume control on the keyboard does work with this mod enabled.

Personally, and speaking only for myself, this doesn't bother me at all because I rarely adjust the volume in the game. This may upset other users that are accustomed to adjusting the volume with keyboard controls, but I tend to agree that it could be an optional mod or moved to a Utility Pack.

Thanks for testing! I'd like to here from DY and/or EssArrBee since one of them would need to sign off on the move. It could simply be moved up into the utility section of the Guide as an optional mod for those that want the multimedia keyboard control. For all others, this mod isn't needed anymore.

Plus it does have some issues reported with it in some circumstances.

Why remove it? It doesn't conflict. You might as well get rid of Double Cursor Fix as well if you pull this one. It doesn't even take up a plugin slot! And what about users who might not be able to use ENBoost for whatever reason? I'm against removing it.

Have we not had this discussion like 5 times before???

And once again, Alt+F4 works with ENB, but multimedia keys don't. What kind of lame keyboard do you got that doesn't have them???

...but I'd prefer to remove it completely because we shouldn't be catering to any particular niche [those with multimedia keyboards]

Right backatcha...

...but I'd prefer to keep it because we shouldn't be catering to any particular niche [those with lame keyboards]

Can't help but read your reply as a childish retort.

Removal reason is due to the mod's purpose being redundant with ENBoost. I know of no users who "can't" use ENBoost. It's is now a requirement of STEP making this mod obsolete to all but those with multimedia keyboards. Same goes for Double Cursor Fix, it's no longer needed for STEP and should be removed or moved to the utility section.

It is not redundant to the many many users who have multimedia keyboards, only to the few who have lame keyboards. I just turned 23, so maybe I am a little childish, but since when has redundancy = must remove? This is a simple install and forget about it mod, so why remove it? There is no reason to remove besides redundancy. As to users who cannot use ENBoost, I merely believe there are people out there who don't follow the guide fully, taking it in bits and pieces, ignoring the stuff they don't understand. I know that I was one of those people, and would have been much the loser for these not being in the guide. ENBoost just seemed like something that my machine wouldn't be able to handle at the time.

I don't think redundancy is a good reason for removal.

At the risk of getting involved in a flame war...

DY... redundant, by definition, is un-needed or useless. If it IS deemed useless or not needed, then why bother with it at all? I use a 'non-lame' keyboard, and have never felt any loss by not being able to change the game's volume with those keys. In fact, until I read these posts today, I didn't even know that was a thing. How many people change their volume so often that this would be a 'fix' to the base game? Per the STEP Mandate, it was a fix for the ALT-F4 issue up until something else took it's place. Now, it doesn't meet that role.

As a mention somewhere for those who, apparently, like to change their in-game volume every five seconds, sure. As a download for Core Step? I think I'm with Tech on this, and if the DCF is in the same boat, then absolutely, it will need to be treated the same.

EDIT: Sparrow... I have NO IDEA what that purse thing is about. If intent was to confuse... mission accomplished. :)

Edited by Shadriss