Blackscreen after loading save.

Nostra

Question

Hello again!

I'm both pleased and extremely disappointed to be back, hehe.

Well, I reinstalled the game, fresh and then installed the latest STEP release and everything worked wonderfully... until today, when suddenly my saves seem to have broken, they load just fine but when they finish all I get is a blackscreen. I can still hear noise but can't move or bring up the menu. Been googling around for solutions but found nothing that has worked, so any ideas how to fix this or am a I condemned to restart my quests once more?

8 answers to this question

Look at the posts on "infinite loading screen" or similar wording as that is what is happening to your game. It is typically solved without having to redo portions of the game, but you may have to try a number of potential solutions before finding one that works.

When it happens to me, the first thing I usually do is to revert the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files to their original states and see if this fixes the problem. If it does, then you can gradually add the tweaks you use making sure that the saved games load.

Look at the posts on "infinite loading screen" or similar wording as that is what is happening to your game. It is typically solved without having to redo portions of the game, but you may have to try a number of potential solutions before finding one that works.

When it happens to me, the first thing I usually do is to revert the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files to their original states and see if this fixes the problem. If it does, then you can gradually add the tweaks you use making sure that the saved games load.

Ah, thanks! I did a quick search but 'blackscreen' only found a handful of threads each of which had several pages of replies and seemed a bit too general to be worth reading through, heh. I'll see what I can find with loading screens.

I did edit the ini files a bit to the old settings, I'll try completely new ones right away!

Edit: Hmm, now it freeze with the object and quote still on the screen, not sure if that is a step forward or backward, hehe. I'll go searching for other solution now.

Edit2: Another note, this affects all my saves, both interior and exterior.

I simply took out my ini files and had the game create new ones, then modfied them again when I saw it worked. I'm considering whether it could be the ENB causing the problems, any thougth on that?

I'll try to revert the terrain manager stuff, see if it makes any difference.

PS: Turns out I abstained from making any changes that affected z-fighting since I had read that making those changes could be a cause of the problem.

My solution, after a lot of ini switching/loading game back to switch...was the SkyrimPrefs.ini Terrain Manager Z-fighting Fix. Which Works.  Thanks Torminator and Nostra :thumbsup:

[Terrainmanager]

fBlockMaximumDistance=500000

fBlockLevel1Distance=140000

fBlockLevel0Distance=75000

fSplitDistanceMult=4.0

this is STEP default for the Zfighting. And I don't know how, though I did it, it got some more values added to it. So after thinking it was preloadsize/shadows/Draw Block Distance/something else...it was this all along.

It's a Z-Fighting fix.

Uno the distant mountain peaks doing this fast flickering texture fight.

It's in a lot of games.

Here's the link. Its here on S.T.E.P.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Z-Fighting#tab=What_is_your_fix_3F

or just google "Skyrim STEP Z-Fighting" And you'll come to it.

NOTE that I did NOT have the infinite loop transitioning from interior to exterior after I "RESTORED" my skyrimprefs to the Zfight fix under terrain manager. Was able to go where ever I wanted. No ctd/infinite load. And was able to raise values on shadows and what not.

Hope this helps :)

Thank You Torminator and Nostra.

Your posts made me compare the old values and see my screw up.

And boy I'll tell yea.  Copying and Pasting other peoples ini tweaks, even from reputable sites/ppl gets me into a lot of trouble and headaches.  I must have 20 different Backed up ini folders from different tweaks.  lol :wallbash:  live and learn.