Weapon and Armor Fixes (by kryptopyr)

WilliamImm

Discussion thread:
Weapon and Armor Fixes by kryptopyr
Wiki Link

Fixes a lot of inconsistencies in the vanilla weapons and armor. And I mean a lot.

While I can't really use this mod myself, because I use SkyRe, I feel that it would fit the STEP project (which does not user any overhauls) quite well. Also, it's kryptolyr we are talking about - so she knows her stuff.

Accepted for STEP v2.2.6

Mod Testing

• Compat plugins created for other ods currently in STEP (thanks kryptopyr)
  • Verify plugin compatibility in TES5Edit (thanks Kelmych, WilliamImm, Neovalen,  kryptopyr & W3aponiz3d)
  • Verify against STEP in-game (just a note of support from someone playing  for any length of time under a full STEP install)
  • Will need someone to post clear installation notes for STEP. (thanks kryptopyr)

I took an initial look at this mod. It has a conflict with the Improved Closefaced Helmets STEP mod since it doesn't carry the helmet models forward; if it is loaded before the ICH mod it will not cause problems but some of the useful changes that this new mod provides for the helmets will then require a small compatibility patch.

It has a large set of conflicts with Guard Dialog Overhaul. The whole Faction armor approach that it introduces seems somewhat similar (and thus incompatible) to the SPIKE approach used by GDO although I'm not very familiar with either. Both use different Keywords and there aren't any patchers currently available that can handle combining these properly (we need the new Skyrim equivalent of Wrye but there doesn't seem to be anyone who can do this that isn't deeply involved in other utilities :facepalm: ). A compatibility patch for these two looks to me like it will take a fair amount of work, but it would be best to ask kryptopyr about this.

My Wrye Bash is adding some strange keywords in the bashed patch to the ammunition records that this mod changes; I need to figure out why.

Thank you for considering this mod. I certainly understand the concerns over compatibility with other mods already in STEP. I'll take a look at GDO and ICH and see what it would take to make compatibility patches for these mods.

@WilliamImm

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence, though for the record, I should probably mention that I'm female. ;)

I believe it should be possible to create compatibility patches for these mods. I don't have a great deal of experience with making mastered patches, but is there any reason that TES5Edit can't handle this?

I contacted Eckss about how to build the SPIKE compatibility directly into my mod. His response leads me to believe that this won't be too difficult to do. I have two choices in how to do this. The first option would not require any additional patches or compatibility files, but it would require Weapons & Armor Fixes to be loaded after GDO. This has the advantage of not requiring any additional files, but it may not be the best solution given that Weapons & Armor Fixes should ideally be placed rather high in the load order. The second option is to create a patch file which would need to be loaded after both WaAF and GDO, but it other than that, it wouldn't matter where WaAF and GDO were relative to one another in the load order.

Any thoughts?

It should be incredibly easy to create a patch for GDO and WaAF. Load them up in TES5Edit, find a conflicted record, right click the WaAF column and copy as an override into a new plugin. From there you can pull records for GDO from the left to the far right where GDO should override WaAF. This is assuming that WaAF loads after GDO. If the opposite is true you can do the same thing just with the mods in opposite order (WaAF overriding parts of GDO).

kryptopyr: I'm actually working on a more comprehensive breakdown mod for turning things into base components/alternate materials already and utilizing Ars Metallica as well as Weapon and Armor Fixes as a base for the mod. While I'm not duplicating any of either of those mods work, I am designing the breakdown mod with the assumption that users already have the other two installed. The reason being that you and Arthmoor have already done a superb job on your mods and I see no need to duplicate effort. In any case, I am certain I could come out with a patch for WaAF and GDO very easily if you wanted me to.

I forgot to mention that there is also a small conflict with the aMidianBorn wolf armor and skyforge weapons esp which introduces a new model for Skyforge weapons. Once the determination of how to handle the various weapon "material" keyword conflicts is finished, it should be easy to create (or integrate) a patch for this.

I sincerely hope this makes it into STEP for as great a mod as it is. I believe it fixes unintentional complications that where left in Skyrim by the Bethesda and thus brings Skyrim more in line with Bethesda's original vision for the game. It also assists immersion and is in no way "Lore Unfriendly".

I've updated the mod and have included compatibility patches for all of the mods that have been mentioned so far. The patch for Improved Closefaced Helmets also includes (and requires) the optional "No cloth around the neck" that STEP recommends. I've also included two combined "Multi-Mod" patch files so that STEP users will not have to download 3 or 4 different files. These patches will also resolve a few minor conflicts that existed between aMidianborn Skyforge Weapons and Guard Dialogue Overhaul.

Thanks for the work kryptopyr! It's really appreciated, especially the multi-mod patches. I did have a question though, I noted that you are missing some of the USKP changes in both the main plugin and in the multi-mod patch for Greatsword weapon speed (0.80 in base game and your mod, 0.75 in USKP/GDO), is this intentional?

@Neovalen

Not to answer for her but I read this on the mod description page which would appear to answer your question.

Q. Looking at Weapons & Armor Fixes Remade and USKP in TES5Edit, there appear to be conflicts.

A. There are a few cases where I did correct values edited by USKP. These are relatively few, but yes, in some cases, I did change the values used by USKP. I only did this when I felt the value used by USKP was incorrect, or I had a good reason for choosing another value. Some are a matter of opinion, for example when USKP chose to round a value down, while I felt it was more appropriate to round up. Another example: Volendrung is considered Dwarven by USKP, but I've made it Daedric. You can argue that lore states it was made by the Dwemer, but I would argue that the material keywords indicate the type of material that composes the weapon and not the race of the smith who created it. To me, Volendrung does not look to be made from Dwemer metal and very much has the appearance of a daedric weapon (not to mention the fact that it is a daedric artifact).

I share your sentiments - this appears to a be a great and very useful piece of work.

Thanks,

:)