stoppingby4now

Question

• Answers 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm getting an unhandled error on Win 8 32bit

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Close()
   at SkyrimInstallTest.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17626 built by: FX45RCREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SkyrimInstallTest
    Assembly Version: 1.0.4590.29216
    Win32 Version:
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Fri/Downloads/SkyrimInstallTest.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17626 built by: FX45RCREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing

Skyrim i installed.

PATH: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

Install Source: Software\Valve\Steam

No path data found for CK (it is installed and works fine), I guess that's where the error occurs

Shocking, something that's not a Metro app doesn't work on Win8 :down:

That's very interesting Fri. That either means that the Uninstall information is in a different location in the registry on Win8, or the build is resorting to always looking in the Wow6432Node branch (even though I'm basing it on the 32-bit path). The registry source reported was ultimately determined by getting the Steam install path and building the rest of the path from that. That was the least preferred method of the three I used. This is really beginning to annoy me (Microsoft that is).

For 32-bit, it should have pulled the information from "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" from the "Steam App 72850" key. That has always been the location for Uninstall information as long as I can remember. If the information isn't there, then that's why it couldn't get the install path for the CK, as that registry location was the only one used.

Could you do a search for "Steam App 72850" in the registry and report the path that comes back? (assuming anything comes back). If you do get a result, then there should also be a "Steam App 202480" key along side it.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\Apps\72850

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam\Apps\72850

and

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-962515917-2830767686-837633049-1001\Software\Valve\Steam\Apps\72850

they all also contain 202480

Did you manually check HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall? Does that path even exist? Also forgot to mention that only "keys" should be checked for search options when searching for "Steam App 72850". The above should not have returned in the search.

I'm now fearing that Win8 has completely changed where its uninstall information is stored. Without that information, the end goal of SU is a bust on Win8.

Installed Win8-32, Steam, then the Creation Kit. I get the expected registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 202480

Odd thing is that with SkyrimInstallTest I'm getting the unhandled exception in Win8 as well (but not in Win7). But if I run my latest build of SU in Win8, it detects CK via the above registry key just fine and identifies the state of Automatic Updates correctly.

No idea why you aren't getting the keys. They should exist, and are going to be required in order for SU to work properly going forward. Would be nice to be able to track down what is causing the discrepancy on your system.

Yeah all my other stuff is there as expected, I assume its the way I regularly abuse skyrim by manually deleting the folders than rebuilding using steam validate, I also have a scheduled registry cleaner so I checked its log over the last 3 months but I get nothing searching for any of the above terms.

Current beta version 1.5b available for testing here. This also locks down the CK if it is installed. Since I haven't taken the time to become familiar with the CK, I need feedback from those that are to know if there are any issues. Version information for each of the products is also displayed if the application is determined to be installed.

Since there are a lot more files that get locked down (when the CK is installed), it can take a second or so for the status to update. For now, I just disable the enable and disable buttons until the process is complete.

This does require that the uninstall registry keys exist for the apps. The location of these keys are below.

32-bit

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 72850 (Skyrim)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 202480 (Creation Kit)

64-bit

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 72850 (Skyrim)

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 202480 (Creation Kit)

Current beta version 1.5b available for testing here. This also locks down the CK if it is installed. Since I haven't taken the time to become familiar with the CK, I need feedback from those that are to know if there are any issues. Version information for each of the products is also displayed if the application is determined to be installed.

Since there are a lot more files that get locked down (when the CK is installed), it can take a second or so for the status to update. For now, I just disable the enable and disable buttons until the process is complete.

Took about 30 seconds but it works, and it recognized both versions correctly in x64.  I'm interested in learning some more VB.NET, any chance you could post the source code somewhere so I can take a look?