Advice & Guidance

I'm sure many visitors here will have questions/problems associated with using STEP mods. While it may at times be necessary to point the querant to the relevant Nexus thread for help, a community like this one also develops a pool of experience and knowledge that can answer many frequently asked questions.

If you recognize that a query is (or potentially may) puzzle STEP users here is a place to preempt those repeat calls for assistance :)

The fact that SkyUI will throw up a message box in-game (when looking at the inventory) about not detecting SKSE often causes users confussion. Here are some of the most common reasons SkyUI will do this:

1 - When a new update from Bethesda is released.

Solution: Go to https://skse.silverlock.org/ for the latest version and reinstall.

2 - skse_loader has not been set to 'run as administrator'.

Solution: Firstly it is best practice not to have your Steam (and therefore your games) installed to C:\Program Files (or C:\Program Files (x86)) as they will be hampered by UAC - User Account Control. Even if you install or move Steam to something like D:\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim it is probably best to open the ..\Steam\Steamaps\common\Skyrim folder, right click on the skse_loader.exe file select properties and Compatibility tab and click Change Settings for All Users then tick Run As Administrator box. Apply and OK.

3 - You have a shortcut icon on the desktop or in the Start Menu or on the taskbar and it is not pointing to skse_loader.exe

Solution: Right click the icon (if in the taskbar right click the icon again in the pop-up box) select Properties and check the location that 'Target Location:' points to. If necessary cut and paste the full path of skse_loader.exe into the box and Apply, OK. (You might want to check the Starts In: box too as it should say something like - D:\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim depending on your Steam location.

ALWAYS use the skse_loader.exe (or a shortcut) to start the game not the desktop icon created by the normal Skyrim installation.

4 - Set 'Read permissions' for the game folder.

Solution: If none of the above has helped it may be that the game folder in Steamapps\common has a setting of Read Only so no programs or mods can interact with anything inside.

Right click the common\Skyrim folder and check to see if the Read Only tick box has a tick or is coloured (usually pale blue), if so click on the tick box until it is cleared (white) and Apply. There may be a delay as all the files and folders in Skyrim are reset to allow write permissions, once completed OK out and start the game using skse_loader.exe then in-game press I and hopefully you will not receive the SkyUI warning box.

If your problem persists you may have other issues so ask at the SkyUI forum thread or the SKSE thread.

Good luck and happy modding :thumbsup:

Information like this would also be a good candidate for the Wiki.

True, but I'm unsure of my access rights so haven't checked out the wiki thing to date.

I seem to have been reduced in ability to participate since the move from the other forum.

True, but I'm unsure of my access rights so haven't checked out the wiki thing to date.

I seem to have been reduced in ability to participate since the move from the other forum.

The Wiki is now tied to MyBB for authentication so you can log-in with your forum username, and you have full edit.