ENB Issue

Solist

Question

So as not to clutter the already massive SR Feedback thread...

I've just setup Neo's RealVision ENB configration and tried it out for the first time. Background, I'm using a fully modded SR, opted per Neo's recommendations and can push my install pretty far with near zero issues in performance or visuals.

Upon enabling the ENB, it goes to complete ****. A total crawl.

Normal loading from menu to in-game is a few seconds, with ENB RealVision enabled it's 20+ seconds. Then it takes a bit to draw things in but never fully recovers to my previously smooth state. Turning around is choppy, performance is unusable.

So my question is for you ENB masters out there, what tweaks should I look in to in order to resolve this? I have a more than powerful enough rig, and I've had no performance issues to date. Disabling the ENB returns everything back to normal.

I tried reducing the ShadowMaps by 50% in the INI settings but that had no positive effect. Anything else to try?

I'm using ENBversion 0.168 with RealVision ENB.

Thanks.

• Answers 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It it because each candle gets to act as a separate light source I think... then they add up. Especially the lightsprite that candles have add up. This combined with daytime settings can make them stand out really badly.

If you look closely then it is the same everywhere there are more candles in close proximity.

Is there any particular enbseries.ini tweak that can be made that directly addresses the radiance of this light source, or would it impact all light sources? Something you just gotta deal with I guess if it's gamewide.

I just installed Skylight (your) ENB, trying that out now...so far so good!

In the ingame GUI. go down to LIGHTSPRITE -> Intensity and curve.

Higher curve means darker, higher intensity speaks for itself.

Just keep in mind that lightsprites cover almost all fires in the game... and if you reduce it to make that single table good, then most other fires will not.

So it is a compromise solution, or get a mod that alters how that table looks.

I think we have one in SR actually that affects candles and how they glow... that might be the reason. Will have to look into that.

Hehe if you knew how long I spent on my preset staring at fires..... It is just one of those things where you accept that you can only do one of two things.

A: Accept the middle road.

B: Remake the textures so they actually fit inside your preset. Followed up by a nice trip to the CK to make sure that every fire light source use similar values!

I am still not entirely happy with my fires at all times of the day, and during every weather. But I know it would be a monumental task to actually try to solve the problem entirely!

I think we have one in SR actually that affects candles and how they glow... that might be the reason. Will have to look into that.

Not that case, realvision in real - unrealvision:D

all light sources are too bright and intesive by default in this preset. If to look on movies - author spent too much time under the sun.

UPD. Tweaked UnrealVision for a hour (to do something with hypertrophied lighting and particle effects). I think it is much more real now. Here is enbseries.ini

UPD2. Use this (2nd attachment) high quality palette. Overwise dark places will be super-dark.

Iroha - I'm confused by your post, as you've made reference before to another ENB preset I think that you were using. The files you put here, are they your optimized suggestions for RealVision ENB, or for a different preset? I'm trying a few out today.

Nevermind, looked through your file. Appears you're just uploading to your tweaks to RealVision ENB, which you like to refer to as "UnrealVision" :)

Thanks!

Not that case, realvision in real - unrealvision:D

all light sources are too bright and intesive by default in this preset. If to look on movies - author spent too much time under the sun.

UPD. Tweaked UnrealVision for a hour (to do something with hypertrophied lighting and particle effects). I think it is much more real now. Here is enbseries.ini

UPD2. Use this (2nd attachment) high quality palette. Overwise dark places will be super-dark.

Iroha - I'm confused by your post, as you've made reference before to another ENB preset I think that you were using. The files you put here, are they your optimized suggestions for RealVision ENB, or for a different preset? I'm trying a few out today.

Nevermind, looked through your file. Appears you're just uploading to your tweaks to RealVision ENB, which you like to refer to as "UnrealVision" :)

Thanks!

NP:)

Hehe if you knew how long I spent on my preset staring at fires..... It is just one of those things where you accept that you can only do one of two things.

A: Accept the middle road.

B: Remake the textures so they actually fit inside your preset. Followed up by a nice trip to the CK to make sure that every fire light source use similar values!

I am still not entirely happy with my fires at all times of the day, and during every weather. But I know it would be a monumental task to actually try to solve the problem entirely!

Yeah, you are absolutely right, I wasn't satisfied with my small tweaks.

Sometimes the injector can give or take more FPS so at least you tried that!

If you got 45-50 without ENB on then it would be unlikely that you would be able to run with every effect on without going below 25...

Considering that you have a rather old computer then I also guess its an old CPU. In that case I would suggest that you look at reducing the CPU load.

Try to reduce the shadow quality, and the amount of grass etc. All of this gives a bit more since less stuff have to be rendered.

For ENB specific performance tweaks I do have a small quick and dirty guide in the description page of my ENB preset.

They are universal for all presets... so it is not only something that works for mine.

Awesome thanks for the advice! Now I've got some places to investigate. Would you recommend using the SR ENB preset for a high performance ENB? With the ENB tweaks of course. I'm thinking there might be a higher performance ENB or something that would be less FPS heavy for me? Just a thought!

Reducing the CPU load makes a lot of sense from what I understand about how Skyrim graphics work. Ill check that out as soon as I can

Any preset can become a "high performance" one, if you just lower the quality and/or disable enough features.

Try out the settings I have outlined on my preset description page, and play a bit with the ini tweaks concerning shadows and grass.

If it still kills your FPS after that, then just ask some more and I will try to help as best I can.

I played with the SweetFX_settings and enbseries files as your guide recommends and am quite happy with the performance so far! I also turned the shadows down to 1024. Getting ~30 to 35fps indoors and 20-25fps outside. Stability is greatly improved, but I think I still might be able to squeeze a little more out of it.

I don't need to install the "grass on steroids" mod to use the tweaks they recommend, do I? Again, thanks for your help!

Nope. But if you lower the density of each grass patch then it might start to look bad... this is of course subjective, so experiment away!

You also have the grass distance to play with... even if you lower it a little bit then you still get some performance out of it.

The only thing the mod does is to increase the size of the grass so that it looks as if it covers more ground.

Ah okay, makes perfect sense thanks. Do you think there will be any serious conflicts between "grass on steroids" and the full SR recommendations? I'm assuming it will be okay, the mod page says it will work with lush overhaul and Vurts Flora.

I'm thinking this will be the last piece if the puzzle, as my interiors FPS is fine. And heavily wooded areas is where I notice the strain on my system the most.

Btw - turning off DoF saved me like 3-4fps overall. And visually I could take it or leave it. Really close to have ENb working!

I run it with SR without any real issues.... since it only alters grass then I do not really see how it could affect anything but SFO.

For heavily wooded areas there is also another mod you could get that reduces the quality of those leaves, pine needles that fly through the air.

It should provide a bit of a performance boost in the wooded areas. I forgot what it is called right now... used to be on STEP.

And yes DoF is about 3-5Fps ... as long as it is not one made for high quality screenshots.

For heavily wooded areas there is also another mod you could get that reduces the quality of those leaves, pine needles that fly through the air.

It should provide a bit of a performance boost in the wooded areas. I forgot what it is called right now... used to be on STEP.

That would be Skyrim Performance PLUS. Might be a good thing to have on my side as well, now that I think about it.

As for me, I'm contemplating whether or not I want Ambient Occlusion. It looks amazing, but my FPS drips down so much with it.

Although, I have to say I'm really enjoying the detailed shadows. I didn't really notice how horrid the vanilla shadows were until I started seeing closeups of people's face shadows thanks to the Face to Face Conversation mod. The horror!

Ah yes thank you for that Raikuden!

Well the detailed shadows are the prime attraction for some! :)

I do believe you can just go to v.119 and then enable the driver based AO if you have an Nvidia card.

That way you do get the detailed shadows and some AO... I know alot of people do this. Mainly to get hardware AA and detailed shadows though.