Freeze's or CTD

phazer11

Question

I don't understand why but I keep CTD'ing between Riverwood and Helgen. I've tried uninstalling Alternate Start and SoS performing a SUM patch at each step and several other things like checking my patches. My BOSS log is attached. I'll also freeze on load screens around these areas some times. I had it working at one point but... *sigh* 

I don't have Dawnguard or Hearthfires or Dragonborn so I did not perform those edits or install those mod that required those DLC's. I've also stuck with the old version of AV as the new one gets an error (I've posted on Levi's page)

Also it doesn't make a difference if I have Drinking Fountains of Skyrim and it's RND patch disabled, deleted or uninstalled.

BOSSlog.txt

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Entering Riverwood from Helgen often causes CTDs as the game is trying to load a lot of stuff. You probably need to try various tricks to increase your performance.  Set your ini for better performance (move the various shadow settings down to 2048 or 1024 for example). Try optimizing your textures, reducing them to 2048 and half sizing your normals.  Save after you fight the wolves but before sighting Riverwood.

It doesn't matter which direction I go from I am often going from Riverwood. In fact I never go into Helgen at all (usually freezes around the guardian stones and I have to ctrl-alt delete and say sign-out as task manager is covered up by a black skyrim window) I may actually be using optimized vanilla bsa's let me check.

You know what I'm going to just open up my archive of my vanilla install and use that. I'll test that idea out. Anyone else have any ideas?

@statsmonster I'm using 1024 shadows (tweaked to look better but lower res) I'm also using 2048 textures at the most. I'm monitoring the VRAM usage using MSI Afterburner (it's never gone above 2.5GB) I'm currently playing at 1600x1900 though to be honest I'm not seeing much better performance (in the places it doesn't CTD or freeze that is) over 1920x1080.

My System Specs are.

ASUS G75VX

Intel Core i7 3630QM

Nvidia GTX 670MX (which is a little overclocked but completely stable)

Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD (OS and Skyrim)

HSGT 1TB 5400rpm HDD (storage)

Oh I forgot to mention I'm doing a clean (new game) save every time.

OK well switching back to vanilla allowed me to get to the Alternate Start camp site (and is it me or does SkyTest always put between 6-10 wolves at that camp?)

Entering Riverwood from Helgen often causes CTDs as the game is trying to load a lot of stuff. You probably need to try various tricks to increase your performance.  Set your ini for better performance (move the various shadow settings down to 2048 or 1024 for example). Try optimizing your textures reducing them to 2048 and half sizing your normals.  Save after you fight the wolves but before sighting Riverwood.

I keep seeing people talk about "half sizing normals" but I really have no idea what that means.  I get resizing textures down to 2048 if they're higher with something like Skyrim Texture Optimizer, but I haven't seen anything about "normals" yet.  Any explanation or link to one for a graphics dummy?

Entering Riverwood from Helgen often causes CTDs as the game is trying to load a lot of stuff. You probably need to try various tricks to increase your performance.  Set your ini for better performance (move the various shadow settings down to 2048 or 1024 for example). Try optimizing your textures reducing them to 2048 and half sizing your normals.  Save after you fight the wolves but before sighting Riverwood.

I keep seeing people talk about "half sizing normals" but I really have no idea what that means.  I get resizing textures down to 2048 if they're higher with something like Skyrim Texture Optimizer, but I haven't seen anything about "normals" yet.  Any explanation or link to one for a graphics dummy?

In addition to the example in the Appendix, this section discusses the rationale for resizing the normal maps.

Thanks root.

As I stated before I'm still CTD'ing or freezing. (I consider the freezing worse as I have to log out completely or close to it every time it freezes. I've also tried taking the resolution down to 1366x768 and that didn't help. Also if I try to go to the alternate start camp via the statue of Mara I get an infinite load screen which makes me log out as well.

Quite positive: it's all new hardware (not even a month old) I've run stability tests on it it's chewed up and spit out every benchmark and synthetic load test I've run on it and plays every other game fine. I've tested skyrim with and without the OC and it's doing it regardless. I know it's a mod as when I play it vanilla it runs fine. I'll post my current BOSS log in just a moment.

Ok here it is.

BOSSlog May 16 2013.txt

While I doubt it's the problem (but who knows, could be), here's one mistake in your loadorder:

SoS - The Wilds-PatchCoTSounds.esp Active

* Note: Use only one Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds and CoT patch.

SoS - The Wilds-PatchCoT.esp Active

* Note: Use only one Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds and CoT patch.

Remove the latter

Hmm... I'll try it out in a bit it if this fails. I'm doing another test at 1920x1080 (running Skyrim Performance Monitor which is set to load ModOrganizer so it can detect everything).

Here's what Performance Monitor got before it CTD'ed

Posted Image

So from what I can tell for whatever reason the gpu usage is dropping off a cliff before it CTD's

Here's what it looks like after I disabled the CoT patch you asked me to try I got to the Standing Stones which is a bit further than the wolf ambush right outside of Riverwood (it ctd'ed when I went to the menu to try and save)

Posted Image

Also here is the BOSS log after I removed that file. Just noticed it says UFO has dirty edits fixing and retrying.

Edit: Fixed UFO's dirty edits (didn't help any). Removed UFO completely and I was able to load the alternate start campsite without freezing but as soon as I got to the wolves closest to Riverwood I CTD'ed

BOSSlog May 16 2013 2.txt

Hmm... I'll try it out in a bit it if this fails. I'm doing another test at 1920x1080 (running Skyrim Performance Monitor which is set to load ModOrganizer so it can detect everything).

Here's what Performance Monitor got before it CTD'ed

Posted Image

So from what I can tell for whatever reason the gpu usage is dropping off a cliff before it CTD's

Here's what it looks like after I disabled the CoT patch you asked me to try I got to the Standing Stones which is a bit further than the wolf ambush right outside of Riverwood (it ctd'ed when I went to the menu to try and save)

Posted Image

Also here is the BOSS log after I removed that file. Just noticed it says UFO has dirty edits fixing and retrying.

Edit: Fixed UFO's dirty edits (didn't help any). Removed UFO completely and I was able to load the alternate start campsite without freezing but as soon as I got to the wolves closest to Riverwood I CTD'ed

if you have automatic variants try to generate sum.esp without it.  run game, create new game, in console type coc riverwood, try to look around.

if crushing install xpms ver 1.6d, rerun fnis, and try again.

I've removed FNIS and XPMS from the picture and used vanilla animation through the UNP installer plus custom skeleton 67 from skulltyrant. I am using AV and have no problems in towns it is outside of the towns. I can do anything within Riverwood or Whiterun itself but as soon as I leave Riverwood... I've also tried several areas near places alternate start allows you to start and have issues there as well but disabling AS doesn't help.

I will try disabling AV though.

I asked and have found a probable solution via the 3GB crash bug and will try to remedy that.

Ok I optimized everything (per the DDSOpt guide) and now whenever I use the bed for alternate start (which had no problems before) I immediately CTD.

The only time I had such an issue with the LAL bed, it was for female chars only and was caused by forgetting to re-run FNIS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2