Freeze's or CTD

phazer11

Question

I don't understand why but I keep CTD'ing between Riverwood and Helgen. I've tried uninstalling Alternate Start and SoS performing a SUM patch at each step and several other things like checking my patches. My BOSS log is attached. I'll also freeze on load screens around these areas some times. I had it working at one point but... *sigh* 

I don't have Dawnguard or Hearthfires or Dragonborn so I did not perform those edits or install those mod that required those DLC's. I've also stuck with the old version of AV as the new one gets an error (I've posted on Levi's page)

Also it doesn't make a difference if I have Drinking Fountains of Skyrim and it's RND patch disabled, deleted or uninstalled.

BOSSlog.txt

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I did re-Run FNIS and I thought that the problem might have been caused by that as well but I have re-re-run FNIS and also re-run SUM. It does say there is a warning however it doesn't tell me what it is or where I can find the log. I did do a behavior consistence check and it passed so idk.

I'm going to try taking FNIS out of the picture and use my old custom skeletons. No help. It does seem to be an FNIS/xp32 issue as I can go with a male character and no CTD it does freeze in about the same places as it was before the optimizations however, and I can still hear new sounds when it freezes (like birds probably a loop) etc.

Alright this is just plain annoying now. I disabled the HighRes Texture packs in Mod Organizer (and of course VRAM usage is way down) so now I'm pulling around 1.6GB VRAM (Skyrim HD and Serious HD Full versions with 1k normal maps and optimized 2k textures) plus the Skyrim Revisited mods and I STILL CTD or most usually freeze near the wolf ambush around Riverwood (and likely elsewhere) Also the RAM usage is ridiculous all things considered (look at this screenshot and the ones I posted earlier in the thread)

Posted Image

Did you try testing different part of your mod setup individually?

For example,

if I had unknown CTDs and I'de suspect my textures being the issue,

then I would disable all mod unrelated to textures and move from there and test, test, test until it's stable.

If the textures are not stable (hitting 3gb, vram cap, etc) then there is no point in activating more mods

Once I get textures stable, I start activating section of mods.

For example "Unofficial Patches", "Other Fixes", "User Interface", etc.

Although you can assume these shouldn't cause problems.

Section of mods that I would keep an eye on would be:

• Automatic Variants Based Creature Mods
  • Standalone Creature Mods
  • Animation
  • The Symphony of Skyrim
  • How The Game Is Played In Skyrim
  • Anything SkyProc.
So basicly, start with textures mods only and if it's stable start adding "section of mods" in.

There's so many possibilities of problem in computer that it's hard to pin point.

If you get issues with only textures then it could be corrupt textures or software & hardware problem.

Modding Skyrim is more cruel then having an heartattack because you got hit by a Minty Lightning while fighting an horde of enemy.

1. Textures and Normals Optimized: Check

2. Tried Disabling AV: Check no help

3. High RAM usage regardless of texture packs: check

4. Texture mods only: check

5. Body mods, Animations and Textures check: still high RAM usage

6. ...

Need I go on? I've tried many combo but it's the finished product that seems to have an issue

The question is, do you have CTDs with only textures activated?

If you don't, then start adding section of mods until you start having issue.

I would be surprised if your problem don't show up before your finished product.

If everything is fine till you add your final touch (probably Bashed Patches, SkyProc & FNIS) then your problem should be in there.

For the ram usage,

the ~2.4gb shown in your skyrim performance monitor screenshot should be good enough. It looks like the number I'm getting.

That's the RAM usage without HighRes Texture pack, and everything else optimized to 2048x2048 or less with 1k normals. I don't get any CTD's with textures (the RAM is pushing it with the VRAM staying steady around ~2400MB with the Optimized HD DLC)

That's the RAM usage without HighRes Texture pack, and everything else optimized to 2048x2048 or less with 1k normals.

For your *core* texture pack I would recommend you to go for full 1K (not just normal maps).

In your case Skyrim HD 1k and Serious HD 2k + 1k normal should be OK.

For the HighRes Texture pack you don't really have the choice to go for Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized by Vano89, otherwise it will eat a huge chunk of your vram.

In my setup I run full SRO 1k (my core), Skyrim HD & Serious HD 2k + 1k normal and Bethesda Hi-Res DLC optimized (Hybrid + Vanilla Normal Maps).

And every single other texture mod I use are optimized (when possible) 2k texture. I run @ 2.7gb at peak and overall 2gb-2.4gb.

I didn't realize it posted earlier >v<

That's the RAM usage without HighRes Texture pack, and everything else optimized to 2048x2048 or less with 1k normals. I don't get any CTD's with textures (including the armor ones) during my tests (the RAM is pushing it with the VRAM staying steady around ~2400MB with the Optimized HD DLC)

If you want to be 100% sure your texture setup is stable you can try doing this:

Fast travel to windhelm from anywhere in Skyrim and loop the following a couple of time:

• Enter the candleearth hall inn, leave.
  • Go to the apothicary in market area of windhelm, leave.
  • Go to the castle of windhelm and enter the infantry barrack, leave.
  • Repeat 1
Ideally you shouldn't go higher then 2.9gb.

If it pass the test then you'll know for sure your textures are good to go and you can focus on something else. :cool:

Careful what you promise :P

I will bet there are cells that are more intense later on in the game! ;)

Running close to the limit at the start of the game when nothing have really happened yet is all good and fine. But later on the game does get a bit more intense... so ideally you do want to be lower.

In general I think we need some long game perspectives in terms of memory use for SR in general before we can really promise anything! The good thing is that textures can always just be resized, or removed without it affecting saves!

So basically... just keep reducing texture memory use until you have a stable game memory wise! It is that simple.

I've gotten VRAM usage down to around 1900MB and it peaks at 2500MB. I guess I should maybe get the 1k version of Skyrim HD and use it? I'm getting CTD some times even if RAM is below/around 2.4GB. Anyone able to make a list of which mods I should install first then test then the next set etc?

I'd like to start with all the textures and custom body stuff. Then move on to things like frostfall.I also want Automatic vaiants.

Alright I have it working it appears but the RAM usage is still high compared to VRAM. VRAM is at about 2.1GB (I forgot to optimize the normals to 1k on some packs before) but RAM is ~2.9-3GB. I'm getting between 50 and 60 FPS with the occasional stutter @ 1366x768 resolution with the following .ini settings.

Here's a screenshot of Performance Monitor and my BOSS log as well.

Posted Image

Had to put the ini's and log in a 7z archive

Any ideas on increasing performance? I'm think I'm going to make Skyrim HD and Serious HD 1k. I also have the Bethesda HD Texture Pack Optimized in there with Hybrid and Vanilla Normals and wasn't sure if I loaded it correctly. INI tweaks would be welcomed and I'll Overclock it a bit as well it's only going about half as fast as it can go.

My test area was from Riverwood Sleeping Giant Inn alternate start location through the woods past the standing stones, to the bandit camp,into and around the big lake and the ship inside it around the mountains to the road to sleeping tree camp, into Whiterun, bought and crafted stuff in Whiterun slept in Whiterun ate, drank filled bottles up and boiled in Whiterun (did not go in Dragonsreach). Set up the tent a few times between Whiterun and Riverwood, caught some Salmon, chopped some firewood did a few side quests (like Alvor's crafting thing) and slept a few times.

settings.7z

It looks like an improvement, but jeez 1366x768 really. :)

Definatly go for the Skyrim HD 1k my estimation would be ~300mb freed from your ram.

You can go for the Serious HD 1k too but if your patient you can test out Skyrim HD 1k first.

You might want to look at your Anti-Aliasing setting also,

If it's at 8x you might want to drop it to 4x.

And if you are setting it through your nvidia driver make sure your anti-aliasing setting in Skyrim laucher is set to 0x.

Otherwise, I think the anti-aliasing can stack from your nvidia driver and skyrim launcher.

Yeah I know right >v<

I'm quite pissed to be completely honest I have plenty of VRAM free (about a GB) I'm going to OC the video card again and see if that allows me to go to 1600x900. I currently have it set as Neo specified via Nvidia Inspector and Skyrim Configurator and anisotropic filtering is set to 4x through Skyrim Configurator.