Known issues:

The game

doesn't always apply the ownership flags correctly, so sometimes houses

have items up for grabs but Potions aren't. It's a bug in the game

itself.

What this mod does:

When

a "head of faction" NPC dies, a script runs to remove ownership over

each and every individual cell and object owned by the NPC.

I've

fixed a number of cases of 'Unnecessary Ownership'. For instance, the

Markath "Hag's Cure" apothecary shop has ownership over ingredients in

several dungeons and even other towns for no apparent reason. What

would otherwise be free loot is "stolen" by the player. I've removed

ownership of those so they are now free to pick up.

I also

removed redundant ownership rights over objects where the cell's owner

would have had ownership over the objects anyways. This was primarily

to ease my own data entry suffering and to not bog down the ownership

removal script, saving performance.

What this mod does NOT do:

This

does not make "essential" NPC's or children killable. However, this

script will run when they die (if they have any stuff). I recommend you

get a mod that does that. Sorry, I don't have any particular

recommendations yet.

This also does not go back and remove ownerships on NPC's already killed, so its best to start a new game when using this.

My experiences:

This mod actually marks those random barrels/objects out in the world with owners and also fixes some items missed by vanilla(no ownership set). Example: Barrels outside Riverwood Trader now belong to Lucan, Barrels outside Alvor's house belong to Alvor. It is considered theft if you pillage them. However, if you happen to kill them (or they are killed) then the items are up for grabs. I've done basic testing and haven't found any obvious bugs (other than a few missed items that I reported to the mod author). I am not overly far into the game however and maybe someone farther into the game can test more. Really adds to the immersion for alot of these things to actually be owned by people and also of course for them to no longer be owned once they are dead.

Even people like hunters out in the wilderness have their items linked to them, so if they die it's no longer theft to take their items. Fixing some of the "well no-one saw me take it..." factor out of the equation.

Unfortunately as the mod author states, the objects can only be owned by one person and not "families", so for example if you kill Alvor his items become takeable but his wife/daughter might still live there. I'm not sure if you'd call this an immersion mod or a gameplay/balance mod but figured I'd bring it to attention if someone wants to give it a more comprehensive go.

This removes the need to rely on fences in order to sell stolen goods, definitely immersion breaking. May be appropriate for a hack N slash mod pack for players that want to avoid all the thievery elements in game.

That's a very good point, was considering downloading it but that's a dealbreaker for me I believe.

I agree in a way, but really not immersion breaking. If a dragon kills someone then it comes natural that his items become unowned.If a player kills someone (and no-one see's you kill them...) then how would people know "Warhammer X" was stolen? Makes no sense that you'd have to fence it. It's not like today when you have serial numbers, national registries, etc.

Before anyone says anything about makers marks, that only tells you who makes it not if you bought/stole it. You buy a war-hammer from Warmaidens or steal it, it still has the makers mark.

I'm not sure it's very immersion breaking unless you blatantly kill someone in the street then pay the fine and raid their house. That being said, if you did do that and paid your fine, no-one really owns the items anymore... if anything that would just mean it should be deleted (as if it was sold as an estate) or now owned by the Jarl. This is really the only case I could see an immersion break. Even then, it's really your choice to break immersion that way.

As for the need to fence goods, if you steal someone's item and they are still alive to claim it (then it is still marked as stolen) and indeed does still need to be fenced. If you steal an item then kill it's owner it is still "stolen" as if the owner filed a report with the local guard.

• 6 months later...
This removes the need to rely on fences in order to sell stolen goods' date=' definitely immersion breaking. May be appropriate for a hack N slash mod pack for players that want to avoid all the thievery elements in game.[/quote']

I don't agree with this at all, but it's been a few months since your post so maybe that's why:

A lot of things are actually marked as owned now, virtually requiring a fence for even the most worthless of things.

As well, I don't get the "definitely immersion breaking". If anything, this mod does the opposite of that. If it wouldn't be a huge pain to create a mod where auctioneers auction off the dead's belongings, I'd agree. But even if it were easy, it'd still take a lot of tedious work and weeks worth of hours to do. :O

Maybe someday when we're playing Elder Scrolls XXIV....

As it stands, it doesn't make much sense for a dead body to send hired thugs after you for stealing their silver plates. Now THAT truly is immersion breaking for me (and all my friends who make fun of it every time it happens, so I can only assume a lot of other people think the same) :P

Edit: Derp, forgot to add: All that considered though, I don't think this mod belongs in STEP just yet because there are some issues and it doesn't really work on stuff added by other mods.

Maybe if the author offered it as a resource so everyone could make their owned stuff switch to not owned on NPC deaths.

In theory the goods should be owned by a person closest to the deceased (whether family or a close friend). If there's nobody that falls under that category, I imagine that Jarl would take the ownership (or one of the Guilds).

With that said, the system is a little too simplistic for either solution to be ideal.