SKSE (by the SKSE Team)

z929669

I don't know what can be done to resolve this issue if you are experiencing lags on auto and quick saves (other than disabling auto saves and not using quick saves). I was experiencing lags of 15 to 20 seconds using a STEP 2.2.9.2 Extended setup with vanilla ugridstoload. The only difference between my setup and standard STEP 2.2.9.2 Extended is that I had installed XPMSE instead of XPMS and I'm using the higher resolution meshes and textures.

One point that is noteworthy is that Neovalen has never experienced these lags and his setup is way more complex than STEP Extended. I know he use the higher resolution meshes and textures as well.

I plan to revisit this at some point in the future, but I haven't had time to get back around to it yet.

When reading through SR:LE, I noticed Neo recommends turning off autosaves from the start.

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#Configure_Skyrim

Neo also recommends to completely exit the game if the character dies, and then load the last save. It seems the automatic load is buggy.

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#Tips

I've read conflicting information regarding autosaves and quicksaves. Many people on /r/SkyrimMods think there is nothing wrong with them, for instance. But everyone seems to agree on the second point.

However, if Neo has never experienced the issue and others are, I think it's possible one of these behaviours may be to blame. I'm going the safe route, and have disabled autosave. I have religiously exited the game after death since I read about that issue, as well.

I have never exited the game if I died, because I'm a forward thinker and usually if it looks like I'm about to die I reload my save which is usually just outside the area I'm in, consequently while I'm posting in the SKSE topic, does anybody know if there is an upper limit to the size of the iTintTextureResolution, or at the very least at which point it stops being high res and starts being pixelated because you've raised the numbers too high.

Hmm, I will keep looking and try to root it out.

What about deleting .skse save component? As I described it's entirely possible and seems to not break my game AND fix the issue. Did anyone try that? I'm more worried about delayed consequences (which may or may not appear).

P.S.: Regarding quick and auto saves - I've always been using them and never had any issues with that until now. But now I kinda have issues with all kinds of saves, save normal saves but only because of how normal saves work (they don't overwrite normally on top of themselves). Also I always used quicks for troubleshooting, cleaning, shutting down mods, adding mods, etc. and it never led to any kind of issues I couldn't resolve.

Edited by nomaddc

I think I have a problem, but I cannot figure it out.  Related to SKSE.ini location!  In the SKSE.log for my most recent attempt to start Skyrim, it states:

config path = D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\skse.ini

However, there is NO skse.ini in that location!  The SKSE.ini file is under D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Mods\Skyrim Script Extender\SKSE\skse.ini.

My first question is, how do I make sure that skse_loader.exe is using the correct SKSE.ini to start the game?

My second question is, why does Skyrim load, menu opens, select "Continue" continues loading, then I hear music, I hear Skyrim, I have NO VIDEO!  When I finally do a 3-finger salute, Task Manager says Skyrim Not Responding.  This started two days ago.  I had not added a THING to Skyrim.  There were new nVidia drivers installed, and that's when it started.  So, I rolled the drivers back to the previous version, and still, no video.  Can someone point me in the correct direction to resolve THIS issue, too, please?

Thanks, Allen

One final thing.  I'm using Mod Organizer, with a specific profile.  So I would THiNK that SKSE would grab the correct skse.ini file...it's just that, not only do the logs appear as if SKSE is NOT doing so, the logs report an incorrect heap size, compared against the one I've got in the skse.ini file.  Thanks, again.  Allen

There's nothing to worry about with the SKSE INI file. MO "tricks" all the executables that are run from inside it, to believe they are running from the default locations, so if SKSE is logging that it is running from

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE

then that is what you want. As to your "incorrect heap size", that too is fine. If you have 712 as the first heap, the logs will only show upto the next lowest level: 512. Odd I know but that's how that tool works.

Not sure about your ILS issue, there are numerous reasons why these happen and there is a dedicated thread here that examines those, CTDs and other memory related issues.