Moonpath to Elsweyr/interesting npcs

I have for Interesting NPCS

There are quite a few problems/conflicts. Conflicting with RLO and all the sound mods most especially. It also conflicts with some race/actor values from SkyTest. I ended up just loading it before all the lighting mods to reduce most conflicts. Then I carried over some of the minor conflicts between it and SkyTest. Overall I really enjoy the mod. Miss it too much to go without it. I am wiling to do the work to make everything work. However! There still is a high chance for issues surely. Basically if you think it would be too much of a hassle I would just wait. It is still in BETA after all.

EDIT: There is also one NPC who conflicts for Bring Out Your Dead. Would need to add it to the patch or make a new one.

Moonpath does not seem to have any major problems. It should work fine. I have not started the quest in game so I cannot say if there are actually any issues when playing.

Interesting NPCs has also seen Snip use previously-- at least up till end 2012. Use with caution-- or better yet, avoid using it.

Tbh enough people have used Interesting Npcs without issue that I just ignore the previous snip-usage, esp as it was used to delete stuff and not actually do the modding. The mod is so amazing that it's bear impossible to go back after trying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I basically stopped using Interesting NPCs in part because of the potential snip issue. However it is possible that this is more theoretical than real for Interesting - it seems like Interesting NPCs might have gotten lucky and the snips may not have done any damage here - but no one really knows for sure, or at least that's my understanding of where it stands now.

The other reason I stopped using it was that it actually gets sort of tedious in longer games - all these people telling you their life story in excruciating detail gets to be a bit much as you get deeper and deeper into the game. At first it's nice to have a more lively Skyrim but after a while I find myself just tabbing through page after page of conversations with irrelevant NPCs. I don;t want to overstate this point - it is incredibly well done and the NPC really were interesting when I first started using it - but after a while it got sort of old. The new quests he has been adding might address this point.

I've been looking at Inconsequential NPCs ( https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/36334 ) to see if that might make Skyrim's cities more lively without having every guy tell me his life story.

I imagine it has all sorts of issues with RLO, SoS, etc.

Never used Moonpaths - but the idea of well done quests to new places is attractive.

I basically stopped using Interesting NPCs in part because of the potential snip issue. However it is possible that this is more theoretical than real for Interesting - it seems like Interesting NPCs might have gotten lucky and the snips may not have done any damage here - but no one really knows for sure, or at least that's my understanding of where it stands now.

The other reason I stopped using it was that it actually gets sort of tedious in longer games - all these people telling you their life story in excruciating detail gets to be a bit much as you get deeper and deeper into the game. At first it's nice to have a more lively Skyrim but after a while I find myself just tabbing through page after page of conversations with irrelevant NPCs. I don;t want to overstate this point - it is incredibly well done and the NPC really were interesting when I first started using it - but after a while it got sort of old. The new quests he has been adding might address this point.

I've been looking at Inconsequential NPCs ( https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/36334 ) to see if that might make Skyrim's cities more lively without having every guy tell me his life story.

I imagine it has all sorts of issues with RLO, SoS, etc.

Never used Moonpaths - but the idea of well done quests to new places is attractive.

I tries moonpath last year, it's well done and the new areas look amazing. The voice acting was sadly not up to the same standard as the rest of the mod, atleast when I played it through. One of my fav questmods currently is Wyrmstooth. It's huge, has great voice acting and some unique gameplay etc. Like moonpath it doesn't really conflict with much of anything as 99% of what it adds is in new areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

If i'm not mistaken I believe that he added new voices to Moonpath. Not sure if they are better or to what extent.

I agree that the Interesting NPC dialogue can become a little much. Way too tedious if you have already heard it 3/4 times.

The Inconsequential NPC mod interested me a lot when I read what it is about. So I checked for conflicts and..........they are really not bad at all. Compared to Interesting NPCs the amount of conflicts are not even close. Putting them above the sound/lighting mods would fix almost all conflicts. Besides the occasional USKP fix not being carried, but that is an easy fix too ;)

The Inconsequential NPC mod interested me a lot when I read what it is about. So I checked for conflicts and..........they are really not bad at all. Compared to Interesting NPCs the amount of conflicts are not even close. Putting them above the sound/lighting mods would fix almost all conflicts. Besides the occasional USKP fix not being carried, but that is an easy fix too ;)

Good hint.  I wonder if it might not solve a lot of compatibility issues if BOSS sort RLO and particularly SoS very late in the order.

Maybe, but I think it only should be applied to the two mods (Interesting/Inconsequential NPCS) just to be safe. This is what the mod author of the latter responded to me with.

"In general, lighting mods should go before NPC mods, not after--that's generally how they are listed in the BOSS masterlist. The main reason is that lighting mods like RLO and 'Relighting Skyrim' make such extensive edits to just about every single default game interior cell that it's bound to have conflict with numerous mods. Any conflicts with this mod will be the least of your worries (and minimal at best). I won't be making a compatibility patch for RLO, since I only use RLO's modular dungeon plugin (and it only edits imagespaces for the most part, so works nicely with any load order). But if anyone wants to volunteer to do maintain a compatibility patch with RLO, I'll host it here and credit their assistance accordingly. But that's not going to do much for people who have large load orders, since there are probably at least a dozen other mods in their load order that conflicts with RLO's interior lighting edits. For what it's worth, I use ELFX, and there are no conflicts."

I have never had any issue. I have only changed the load order of these two mods. Which is why it is probably safer to only apply the change in load order to these types of mods. Personally, from what I see, the cells do not have anything related to the NPC mods. The ones that conflict at least. Just the image space/acoustic space is overwritten by the NPC mod, back to vanilla settings, since it is placed after the lighting mods. This makes it so you miss out on the lighting/sound mods purpose in certain areas I would think? I'm not a mod author or anything so he probably does know better than me. Will just keep doing it anyway. No issues so far.

The only manual available yet for the TES5Edit editor is for the nearly identical Fallout New Vegas version of the editor.  This manual is itself nearly identical to Miaxs manual for the editor for Fallout 3. Eventually there will be manuals and videos on conflict determination. This manual is written for experienced users who are familiar with the resources used by the Bethesda games.

Chapter 4 is on Conflict Resolution. It provides a brief discussion on the editor tool itself and conflicts and some basic background on how color is used to indicate conflicts and overrides; you should definitely read this part. However, most of this chapter concentrates on the automated portion of the tool for identifying and resolving conflicts. I don't find the automated filters and automated merge patch that useful since so much manual editing is required to make the automated patch useful.

Gopher and Sharlikran have useful videos on using TES5Edit, primarily for cleaning mods. I don't remember seeing any of these videos that focus on manual conflict identification and resolution, but there may be some.

The only manual available yet for the TES5Edit editor is for the nearly identical Fallout New Vegas version of the editor.  This manual is itself nearly identical to Miaxs manual for the editor for Fallout 3. Eventually there will be manuals and videos on conflict determination. This manual is written for experienced users who are familiar with the resources used by the Bethesda games.

Chapter 4 is on Conflict Resolution. It provides a brief discussion on the editor tool itself and conflicts and some basic background on how color is used to indicate conflicts and overrides; you should definitely read this part. However, most of this chapter concentrates on the automated portion of the tool for identifying and resolving conflicts. I don't find the automated filters and automated merge patch that useful since so much manual editing is required to make the automated patch useful.

Gopher and Sharlikran have useful videos on using TES5Edit, primarily for cleaning mods. I don't remember seeing any of these videos that focus on manual conflict identification and resolution, but there may be some.

Sharlikran's Merged Patch video covers some topics useful for resolving conflicts.

Thanks folks I will check out the suggestions and see what I can figure out, much appreciated!
  • 2 months later...