BorderSense

rootsrat

Such a nice find!

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35718/?

This small mod basically displays a message when you're crossing hold border. Simple, yet immersive - IMHO.

Looking at the screens, the messages are well written, as opposed to just plain "You are entering Whiterun Hold now". They are really immersive. 

The mod also allows for display of player's current bounty along with border crossing message, if they have any in the current hold.

Now, I am not sure about the compatibility (Unique Region Names comes to my mind), as I've only just found this mod - this is still to be tested. I will definitelly be including this mod in my current playthrough, so watch this space for more subjective feedback in near future.

This is from a discussion between Luinithil and myself in PMs when he had some questions about the mod, hopefully he doesn't mind me reposting it here as it's all written by him:

It looks very nice and I've mentioned it in the recommendations thread, but when I opened it up to take a look in xEdit for fixes and information to forward from the DLCs, I saw something rather unusual: he's edited the records for 3 locations, and 2 of those 3 locations (Dustman's Cairn and Snapleg Cavern) are now missing what appears to be location related information (spawns, bosses, boss chest locations...). The info in the LCPR, LCSR, LCID and LCEP fields didn't make it from Skyrim.esm to the mod. Is this expected, or should the information from Skyrim.esm be forwarded? I asked the modder and he said he wasn't sure whether that was a problem either, since he had been working on the assumption that whatever he didn't specifically touch in the CK would get forwarded from Skyrim.esm anyway. Sad

Such a nice find!

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35718/?

This small mod basically displays a message when you're crossing hold border. Simple, yet immersive - IMHO.

Looking at the screens, the messages are well written, as opposed to just plain "You are entering Whiterun Hold now". They are really immersive. 

The mod also allows for display of player's current bounty along with border crossing message, if they have any in the current hold.

Now, I am not sure about the compatibility (Unique Region Names comes to my mind), as I've only just found this mod - this is still to be tested. I will definitelly be including this mod in my current playthrough, so watch this space for more subjective feedback in near future.

Verteiron (the mod author) said this:

Unique Region Names does not conflict with BorderSense. I actually run them together. Its identifications aren't always correct either, though; if you enter a building in Rorikstead, for example, it calls the doors leading outside "Falkreath".

The only thing my mod does that might affect load order is change the parent hold of a couple Location items to improve accuracy. If another mod modified those Locations (there's a list of the ones I changed in the description and changelog) it's possible it could undo my changes, but that won't actually break anything, just make BorderSense inaccurate near those locations.

Note there are still inaccuracies in how regions are marked particularly the Reach; many of which are vanilla issues. Also may crash Helgen start, but that's old news, sneeze at it wrong and Helgen crashes or goes weird, doesn't it? XD Verteiron seems to be actively beating those bugs to mulch though.

Not sure how you see this as "immersive". Immersive to me means that you are pulled into the game and borders the line of realistic. Having a message display (any message) breaks immersion for me as it distracts from the what you're doing in the game. When you walk or drive across state borders in the US, you're not greeted with a message before your eyes saying that you've crossed a state border. At most, a sign along a path/road/trail would be the limit on such a notification. But this is just my opinion. :)

Yes, but to me this is reflection of PC's "location sense" if you like. The way these messages are displayed in game convinced me. It's not just "You are in Winterhold" - it's "With Windhelm behind me, I must be entering Winterhold". To me it's expression of PC's thoughts triggered by said "location sense". Hence I said it's immersive.

• 2 weeks later...

I would really love to see this mod included in STEP. I played with it for a while now and I'm loving it! I haven't seen any issues with it so far, but then again I haven't travel all of the Skyrim yet. Bear in mind this is not proper testing, as I'm just using this mod in my current playthrough.

The mod is highly customisable via MCM menu:

Posted Image

I have "Notify when near a border" option disabled, because it displays way too many messages, and it becomes annoying. I also play with "Immersive" type of messages, as they use landmarks and terrain properties etc. to identify the holds, it's neatly really well done. I also disabled sound effects, it breaks immersion.

The author is actively responding to comments and fixing any erroneous locations. Some of them are Bethesda's fault, so the mod is partially a bug fix as well. 

Your thoughts, guys?

I think it'ld Be better if we'ld use a Mod adding Stone pillars Marking the border of the Various Holds! On One Side it would Read the one hold and on the Other One the Other, this could Be Done by arthmoors point the Way Mod! The pillars should only Be near the Main roads though, to keep things realistic. This would Be the most immersive Way for me at least to perceive the Transition between the Various Holds!

I think it'ld Be better if we'ld use a Mod adding Stone pillars Marking the border of the Various Holds! On One Side it would Read the one hold and on the Other One the Other, this could Be Done by arthmoors point the Way Mod! The pillars should only Be near the Main roads though, to keep things realistic. This would Be the most immersive Way for me at least to perceive the Transition between the Various Holds!

But does such a mod exist?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Based on root's description, I think I would dig this mod. Having messages shown on the screen that reflect the PC's thoughts is a great way to utilize useful information.

I would add that it's not immersion breaking to be aware of where you are in the world. We all travel areas on a daily basis without constant signs telling us that we are entering a particular area, yet we know we are based on our surroundings. The concept here is no different.

I also like torminators idea. It would also be sweet to have a mod that adds stone pillars or such to mark border boundaries on main roads.

Based on root's description, I think I would dig this mod. Having messages shown on the screen that reflect the PC's thoughts is a great way to utilize useful information.

I would add that it's not immersion breaking to be aware of where you are in the world. We all travel areas on a daily basis without constant signs telling us that we are entering a particular area, yet we know we are based on our surroundings. The concept here is no different.

I also like torminators idea. It would also be sweet to have a mod that adds stone pillars or such to mark border boundaries on main roads.

I would encourage you to try it. It's really well done mod.