Can't Start Skyrim

jdrockpb

Question

Finally finished getting everything together and now I can't get Skyrim to start.  I start SKSE or Skyrim through MO and Uncapper will pop up then about a minute later Skyrim pops up (with borders even though borderless window is installed) and I get a CTD soon after the Skyrim emblem shows up.  How should I try to diagnose this, and what should I look for?

Finally finished getting everything together and now I can't get Skyrim to start.  I start SKSE or Skyrim through MO and Uncapper will pop up then about a minute later Skyrim pops up (with borders even though borderless window is installed) and I get a CTD soon after the Skyrim emblem shows up.  How should I try to diagnose this and what should I look for?

Make sure you ran BOSS. If you did:

• Open Wrye Bash through Mod Organizer
  • Check if there is any .esp/.esm that show up in dark orange or red.
  • If there is, single click on them and check the "Masters:" square in the right-pane and check if there's any master missing for it.

If everything looks good in Wrye Bash, CTD might be caused by "bad edit" when you followed the SR step.

You could try disabling all SR patch temporarily and try to launch Skyrim.

Other thing to check is number of activated .esm/.esp files you have. must be 255 or less. This happened to me, I checked through everything including loading up the whole load order in TES5Edit before I realised what the problem was. Cut a few mods out and all was fine.

It was actually both Dual Sheath Redux and Automatic Variants, the SkyProck Unified Manager didn't seem to patch them right and corrupted them so I reinstalled both and didn't use the SUM.  Still having a small problem getting Dual Sheath to work though, the normal patcher that comes with it is patching but the patch isn't being detected even though it's activated and in the load order near the end.

Thats odd I've never had any trouble with SUM and my mod... neither now nor at any point during development.

I'm also running ASIS and ReProccer, but SUM can't run AV for me. It just hangs partway through processing. I can run it fine standalone. Been the case since the previous update to AV

Interestingly(?) I've found that occasionally, AV won't run standalone either, but restarting my pc will clear that; there's no lingering processes that I can see in Task Manager, but something is obviously hanging around.

Possibly. RAM related possibly? I only have 4 GB. Or maybe due to amount of mods in MO and the fact it's a 32-bit application?

I have nearly 400 mods installed. When I run patchers via MO (wchich is 32-bit program - meaning) they sometimes:

- Won't run - java is started up, but the patcher window never appears and the java RAM usage is just going up and up

- Will show after a long while

The same goes for when the patching is finished - it sometimes takes ages for java to shut down (and unblock MO window). I often have to manually kill the process.

Thats odd I've never had any trouble with SUM and my mod... neither now nor at any point during development.

I'm also running ASIS and ReProccer, but SUM can't run AV for me. It just hangs partway through processing. I can run it fine standalone. Been the case since the previous update to AV

Interestingly(?) I've found that occasionally, AV won't run standalone either, but restarting my pc will clear that; there's no lingering processes that I can see in Task Manager, but something is obviously hanging around.

This may seem like a silly question but have you followed this part of levi's faq? I was having issues getting AV to patch as well after the latest AV update (through SUM or via AV patcher) and asked him about it he checked it out and added the section to his readme. It should work for DSR if you're having problems, I'd try it at the very least the worst that would happen (didn't to me) is you would have to pick out the tesxtures to include for the variants all over again (and that doesn't take very long for me).

Duplicate FormIDs or EDIDs

SkyProc comes with a consistency system that makes sure the same records get the same formIDs every time you create a patch. Older consistency systems had the possibility of allowing duplicate formIDs (two records with the same formID), which shouldn't happen.

The only way to get rid of this error is to wipe your consistency file. This comes with a WARNING, as all information of what record had what formID will be lost, which may or may not throw your savegame off.

It is highly recommended to make a backup of your savegame and consistency file.

• Upgrade to the newest version of the patcher, and try to confirm with the author that it has been upgraded to the v3 system. (May 2013 SkyProc release)
  • It is recommended you load your current savegame with the problem patcher deactivated, and save a new "clean" version.
  • Navigate to "My Documents/My Games/Skyrim/SkyProc"
  • Back up all consistency files
  • Remove the consistency files for version 1 + 2.
  • Delete the consistency file for version 3, ONLY for the problem patcher, if present.
  • Run the patcher. This will force it to assign new formIDs using only the new consistency system (assuming your patcher has been upgraded to the v3 system). There shouldn't be any more duplicate formid errors.
  • Place back the old v1 and v2 consistency files if you are running other older skyproc patchers. They will need those files. The v3 patcher won't refer to these files anymore now that you have run it fresh.
If you continue to get duplicate formID errors with the v3 consistency system, please send in a debug report.

This may seem like a silly question but have you followed this part of levi's faq? I was having issues getting AV to patch as well after the latest AV update (through SUM or via AV patcher) and asked him about it he checked it out and added the section to his readme. It should work for DSR if you're having problems, I'd try it at the very least the worst that would happen (didn't to me) is you would have to pick out the tesxtures to include for the variants all over again (and that doesn't take very long for me).

Duplicate FormIDs or EDIDs

[snip]

Not a silly question at all! Yes, in fact I have, at Neo's suggestion a couple of days ago. It seemed to have worked at first, but subsequent runs started failing, and clearing the consistency files no longer seems to make any difference.

Well odd... As Levi is the author of both SUM and AV you might hit him up and ask for his guru advice; I'm sure he's probably seen just about everything. By chance have you tried deleting your AV, SUM and DSR mods from MO or whatever and then reinstalling from fresh downloaded files? Maybe your folder are corrupt or some weird ****.

As for rootsrat problem maybe you should (once the SUM window opens after however long) go to Automatic variants and Dual Sheaths options and try unchecking import mods on startup that might help since you seem to have alot of mods. Again I'd probably defer to Levi as he probably knows about this issue.

I'm having the same problem as jdrockpb was having but I've found no solution. I've checked boss, number of mods, and my TES5edit files to find that all seems correct. Maybe my ini. files are causing this or I forgot a simple step. I've tried launching skyrim without patches and any of the variant files to still get a CTD on the start screen. Can anybody help please? Thanks

EDIT: So my Dawnguard.esm is corrupt? In Wrye Bash my Dawnguard.esm file is full red all the way across. Does that mean I need a re-install?