Can't Start Skyrim

jdrockpb

Question

Finally finished getting everything together and now I can't get Skyrim to start.  I start SKSE or Skyrim through MO and Uncapper will pop up then about a minute later Skyrim pops up (with borders even though borderless window is installed) and I get a CTD soon after the Skyrim emblem shows up.  How should I try to diagnose this, and what should I look for?

I'm having the same problem as jdrockpb was having but I've found no solution. I've checked boss, number of mods, and my TES5edit files to find that all seems correct. Maybe my ini. files are causing this or I forgot a simple step. I've tried launching skyrim without patches and any of the variant files to still get a CTD on the start screen. Can anybody help please? Thanks

EDIT: So my Dawnguard.esm is corrupt? In Wrye Bash my Dawnguard.esm file is full red all the way across. Does that mean I need a re-install?

I would think you could just log in to steam and have it verify your files. This will replace any corrupt files. If Dawnguard.esm is corrupt in your overwrite folder (likely since that is the one Mod Organizer (MO) uses), you may have to clean that file again using SR instructions. You should not have to redo the entire guide if that is your only problem.

Did you remember to copy in the originals and see if the problem persist?

Steam can obviously not change the file in your overwrite dir. only the one in the skyrim data dir. This is the file you need to replace the one in overwrite with.

If the game still fails with just the vanilla .esm´s enabled after you have done that, then try to delete the .esm´s and reverify and try again.

Failing that then I see no other option then a complete reinstall since the pure vanilla game should always function properly. Even the one with the cleaned masters should always function properly unless an error have happened in tes5edit.

Luckily vanilla skyrim works fine. I'm trying to rule out if it's a specific mod or a bad patch. No idea why I can't get passed the emblem in the start screen.

EDIT: So when I try to run SKSE through MO with no mods checked I get the same CTD on startup. So it's not a mod? I have no idea what I could have done to mess this up.

EDIT2: I can play vanilla skryim with heathfire and dragonborn checked. Dawnguard seems to be the root of the problems. Maybe I corrupted the file when I optimized from the beginning of the guide?

Ok first as many have suggested have Steam reverify your entire skyrim folder (or if you followed good practice unzip your pristine vanilla folder) then make sure you installed SKSE as Neo instructed in the guide since it kinda sounds like your SKSE install is messed up.

Tried verifying my files. Dawnguard.esm is still a red line across and no luck in getting past the start screen. If I uncheck Dawnguard I can start a new game no problem. Not sure what else to do.

No it means you're probably using an older version of Wrye Bash. 302 and older can't see the strings in Dawnguard.esm. If you manually extract them to the Skyrim\data\strings folder with DDSOpt or BSAOpt, it should be fine.

EDIT: although, if that's the case you should be seeing the same thing with Dragonborn.esm and Hearthfires.esm. If you mouse hover over the Dawnguard.esm it should tell you why it has a red line through it in the status bar.

Luckily vanilla skyrim works fine. I'm trying to rule out if it's a specific mod or a bad patch. No idea why I can't get passed the emblem in the start screen.

EDIT: So when I try to run SKSE through MO with no mods checked I get the same CTD on startup. So it's not a mod? I have no idea what I could have done to mess this up.

EDIT2: I can play vanilla skryim with heathfire and dragonborn checked. Dawnguard seems to be the root of the problems. Maybe I corrupted the file when I optimized from the beginning of the guide?

I assume you did re-verify your skyrim install through steam. Navigate to your Mod Organizer (MO) overwrite folder and delete dawngaurd.esm.  Then follow then follow Neo's TES5edit 'clean' instructions for dawnguard.esm only. For SKSE you should have extracted the *.exe and *.dll files to your actual skyrim directory not using MO. For the remainder of the SKSE install you can use MO to install like any other mod, except uncheck the *.exe and *.dll files (remember to create the SKSE directory in the folder you installed SKSE and create the file skse.ini in it).  Run FNIS, BOSS, Wyre Bash (to create the patch) and SUM.  After doing so, run TES5edit and leave ALL files checked.  If there is a problem TES5edit will not get to the end and give you a clue which mod (currently just dawnguard.esm as far as we know (AFAWK)) is giving you a problem. Assuming your problem is dawnguard.esm, there is a possibility is that you performed some of the TES5edits in-properly.  Running with TES5edit with all files checked should give you a clue as to whether this is the case. If TES5edit finishes without problems, you should be able to start skyrim, unless there are other issues.

Thanks everybody for the responses. So i have found that if I uncheck the dawnguard optimized .bsa folder skyrim runs flawlessly with all mods checked. I think I just need to re-optimize dawnguard as instructed in the guide. I'm thinking any ctd's later in the game could be how many .esp files I have installed considering I have 247 I believe. I might reduce textures and merge patches to see. Again thanks for the help. I'm very new skyrim modding.

I've got the exact same problem when I enable Realistic Needs and Diseases, Disease Descriptions and/or Even Better Quest Objectives even though TesVEdit doesn't show any errors when I load them. I'd love some help and advice and I thank you beforehand :)

Hmm reinstalling again did the trick however I'm concerned about some nodes which should be modified according to the instructions but don't show up where they should be in Tes5Edit. Also, is it an issue to use Water 1.7 with the 1.6 patch?

Also, thanks for your help even though my laziness/my sloppiness was probably the issue...