Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - HD textures (by skyrimaguas)

FCqt

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will repeat a point I made a while back. You DO NOT need "product" to get shiny hair - washing with water will do that just as well. Hair and scalp produces natural oils that make the hair glossy. Of course these oils are suppressed by shampoo and conditioner etc.. How do you think other mammals coats stay so shiny? Not "Head and Shoulders" that's for sure. People only have unkempt hair if they do not wash and groom their hair, hell even apes do that for each other. But I guess if apes had money then we would be selling them hair care products as well.

I think the advertisers have got nearly everybody conned with that one - all anyone needed in the middle ages to have good hair was access to water and some kind of brush or comb (not new inventions) - I believe they had combs thousands of years ago - why? Unless they looked after their hair somehow.

I think we should be looking at which hair looks the best or closest to real hair as a criteria for CORE and superior hair does do that, better than vanilla and no esp. A no brainer really.

:)

Shiny hair is not the point. My nitpick is non-clumpy hair with sharp, brush-like ends. Just add some specularity to the vanilla normals if that is the issue ...

I'll go to my grave disagreeing with the lot of you :P ... however, if I had to pick something other than vanilla (and AOF), it would be the ragged version of Superior I suppose :dry:

I wish TC would comment!

I have to agree - shiny hair is not the point. The point in fact is that a hair mod should be considered only on how it looks not on whether or not the hair looks wrong for the time due to an assumption of poor hair care. The better hair is likely to come from a combination of mods. There is a notable improvement on vanilla with superior whereas AOF basically just seems to darken the colour a little bit, otherwise it is the same.

:)

You either get an undesirable color change with AOF or undesirable "brush-like ends" with Superior... pick the lesser of the to evils. I personally prefer Superior because it couples far better with Beards and Brows, giving a more uniformed look, than AOF does. We shouldn't focus completely on just the hair but what is also around the hair. How well do all the mods work and fit together artistically that affect the PC and NPCs? IMO, that combination is Superior, Beards and Brows.

As for the meshes, that is being tested with Better Vanilla Hairs, but it's kind of waiting on this debate to be settled so unnecessary testing isn't done.

We should be looking at Superior rough, vanilla and AOF with the new meshes then ... I did not even know about that. No sense looking at anything but the rough version of Superior though.
I'll do those compare in the Better Vanilla Hairs thread. ...will have to figure out which hairs are affect first which shouldn't take too long. Might do that tonight if I have time after work.

depending on how advanced the mesh work is youre referring to techangel, i may be able to help. i use the meshes myself and think theyre great, but if you could elaborate more on what would be ideally changed/tweaked, i could determine if it's above my experience level. Also, if i need to use the BVH meshes as a base, id need the author to at least reply to grant permission, unless he said its ok on his mod page (which i havent looked at in a while)

Check out the BVH thread. Those meshes cause clipping on helmets that are close to the face. The BVH meshes are a great starting point and a continuation of that work would be awesome; however, the clipping is an issue that would cause it to not be in STEP. If that can be fixed, then it would be a go.

Actually, I would begin with the vanilla meshes. We know that they fit within the constraints of the helmet meshes. they probably just need a slightly higher poly count and some smoothing out without increasing the model size.

I would do a few things and ask Brumbek if he wants them ... get credit for SMIM contribution and keep all mesh fixes together ;)

Actually, I would begin with the vanilla meshes. We know that they fit within the constraints of the helmet meshes. they probably just need a slightly higher poly count and some smoothing out without increasing the model size.

I would do a few things and ask Brumbek if he wants them ... get credit for SMIM contribution and keep all mesh fixes together ;)

What he said. lol

Approving this mod until new vanilla hair meshes are released (if ever) and a reevaluation will be done with new meshes.

Core will remain the same. Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - Rough Version will overwrite Core for Extended.

If the consensus is SLFH, then may as well make it Core to avoid added hassle. It arguably meets all Core requirements ;)

Approving this mod until new vanilla hair meshes are released (if ever) and a reevaluation will be done with new meshes.

Core will remain the same. Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - Rough Version will overwrite Core for Extended.

If the consensus is SLFH, then may as well make it Core to avoid added hassle. It arguably meets all Core requirements ;)

+1

• 2 months later...

The mod was recently updated with a FOMOD installer. Combinations that weren't available before now are, I believe. You can choose between rough hair or straight hair, 1k or 2k, and less shiny or more shiny normal maps (there might be some other options, that is what I remember).

I don't believe the 1k rough hair with less shiny normal map was an option before, and I think that probably fits the closest to vanilla. For SAS reasons, and for thoroughness, might be worth discussing.

You have a weird definition of recent, mg729. There's still no "rough with less shiny" or "rough with less saturation". Also, the FOMOD installer - while it works, it's not really accurate and a far cry from the improved descriptions that I put there before.

This is my improved version of the FOMOD installer. I would put it on the page, but the author (for reasons unknown) removed my editing privileges for the mod - and he's inactive.

STEP doesn't need a FOMOD for this mod for the recommended options. The rough hair option that we use is just straight loose files that installs fine. I think mothergoose is a lil behind on what is "current". lol! I'm not sure what he's referencing but his post in the ASI thread about Core mods was at least a month or more out of date as most of those things he mentioned were taken care of a long time ago via the Bug Thread.

Mothergoose, you're not caching your internet pages are you?