Instability and Frequent CTDs

razym

Question

Greetings, everybody!

I've been having a heck of a time trying to get STEP, Skyrim Revisited, and ASIS-SKYRE working. Essentially, this is my sixth time trying to get it working properly, with two STEP installs, two Skyrim Revisited installs, and a Skyrim Revisited & Asis/Skyre install under my belt. The issue is mostly freezing that ends with an unresponsive window and the occasional CTD. This is on a machine running on W8 x64, two 4GB GTX 680s, and 16GB of memory. The whole thing runs at 2K resolution and ENB and never goes below 30FPS.

I understand that the engine is relatively unstable with this many mods and textures. I don't believe VRAM to be a limiting factor as it never goes above 3000MB, but I have a feeling RAM usage is a factor as I can easily hit 3000MB. It's been incredibly frustrating, though I've never given up hope. I am getting to the point where I may just make a Mod Organizer profile labeled "$&%!" and just do a vanilla playthrough with Skyre and ASIS, because since launch I haven ever even gotten past High Hrothgar due to always waiting for mods.

I'd be glad to post papyrus logs, a load order, or possibly a skyrim performance monitor log, though my papyrus logs don't appear to have much in them apart from some minor script errors. Can anybody throw out some ideas on why CTDs would occur so often? All INI tweaks are from Skyrim Revisited and nothing else differs except for the files and fixes from the ASIS-SKYRE guide (including the modified 1.4e ENB).

EDIT 1 - One of the things I noticed from Skyrim Revisited is that my horses have a white tail and saddle (see https://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/577864844207233589/E34BEF2C97A93ADF5D1A9B2309DF9AFADD7A8BA9/2048x1152.resizedimage ). Apparently, this was due to the DLC3 optimized textures conflicting with Convinient Horses, so I renamed the DLC3 files in MO. Could it be that my optimized textures were not ripped or optimized properly?

EDIT 2 - Some of the errors in the Papyrus logs were narrowed down to be Realistic Predator Vision, both Werewolf mods, as well as the Increased Spawns in ASIS. One of the most common errors involves the main quest in Skyrim. Will post some newer logs and a load order when I get home.

EDIT 3 - Note the high VRAM and RAM usage in the picture above. Disabling optimized textures and leaving on just the texture packs (SRO, 2K, VURT, FO) didn't help, and neither does optimizing them or lowering them to 1K to alleviate freezing and crashes. It does drop RAM and VRAM usage a bit, though.

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Here is a pic for easy explanation:

Posted Image

1. To process only difuse maps (.dds)

Select "show recursive" (to show inside every folder).

Use de green V to select everything.

Type *_n.dds , apply.

De-select the filtered with the red X.

Clear the filter box and apply (to remove the filter)

2. To process only normal maps (_n.dds)

Select "show recursive" (to show inside every folder).

Use de red X to de-select everything.

Type *_n.dds , apply.

Use the green V to select the filtered.

Clear the filter box and apply.

I also want to point that I've been experimenting with SMCO for my DDS files. I made a full backup of my MO folder then cut SMCO loose on everything. It's simple to use and seems to take a very cautious approach to optimizing DDS files. In fact, it leaves a lot of files alone, presumably because they are already "optimized." I would not touch NIFs and you probably shouldn't have to worry about BSAs either.

Have you played with it recently and noticed any differences in quality or stability?

I actually tried DDSOpting my Immersive Armors and Immersive Weapons installs recently. I think I CTD/freeze MORE with them optimized, I'm not sure what I did wrong. They also didn't reduce in size as much as one user reported (IW went down to like 760MB with 2k textures/1k normals).