HQ Snow Texture (by Erik and gorefest2011)

erik1988

It should say 1024 on the guide now, I just updated the mod page. As a rule, we always start with 1024 for a baseline. We only make exceptions when needed and for interior stuff due to the memory limitations of Skyrim. Even with the mem patch we should still stick to it because that project has just started.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrain Bump is overwriting the normals for this mod in its currents position in STEP. Is that intentional?

This is intended. HQ Snw diffuse maps are still an enhancement (See the OP ... the HQ Snow version is how it looks with TB normals and HQ Snow diffuse)

Terrain bump is amazing. Step recommends the ddsopted version but that ruins the fidelity of the normal maps for the snow texture. Try version that is just uncompressed normals and the snow is @(&;)::%*%# amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The performance version of TB (on the Nexus) is already optimized via DDSopt. It converts from 888 uncompressed to Ethatron's 565 uncompressed (not to DXT compressed), which shaves off about a third of the size without any noticeable impact on quality.

• 3 weeks later...

You have to test. No way to know without loading it up and comparing the shots you take.

With that said, I've yet to find anything close to Terrain Bump normals in my experience. 

What exactly is a 'normal map'? I've asked a ton of times but no one ever answers me :-P. Also, how can Terrain Bump normals be used with non-vanilla mods? How do the regular textures and normal maps (whatever those are) match?