OK guys,

Fresh game (8 hours gameplay)

Mod lists

Ini

skyprefs.ini is only tweaked as far as SR recommends

PC

Game

Issue
Recently gone through the lists and removed a few random mods, and some that are too buggy to fix (3dNPC etc)
Removed Automatic Variants to help with RAM, and hopefully fix my issue.

The problem is outdoor CTD`s and freezing...it doesn`t happen at any specific point it seems to be totally random, but once i hit a point it can be reproduced (if that makes sense?) Randomly occurs but i can load a previous save and it will happen again.

From what i can tell it happens when NPCs/Creatures pop in at the edge of the loading area. (hence why i removed AV) Taking AV off seemed to help for a few hours but now its still happening. I`ve read a few posts with people saying that running around too fast can cause it, but that's stupid. Im not gonna start playing the game slowly so i dont crash.

The best example was the giant camp outside whiterun....i was doing the companion missions. I left whiterun, got on my horse, and went towards the camp to get to Dustmans Cairn. I spotted the fire pop in and as soon as the mamoths pop in to view....CTD. I get this at random points around skyrim, but this is the only time i`ve managed to nail down the reason.

What im wanting, is to find out what mods can be causing this glitch. I thought AV coz of the mamoths...took it off and it seemed to fix it. (From what i can tell AV is safe to remove) But what else can be causing this? It deffinately seems to be caused by new NPC`s/creatures poping in, as it only happens when im moving. If im just waddling around gathering, or fighting, nothing....only when running/riding around.

EDIT:
Sorted ini file, so you can read it now.
Yes i have some extra lines in papyrus, but these have helped my stability ALOT. Esspecially with random combat freezing etc.

#2 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'm having trouble viewing your ini fle on my phone, but I think you might have some items in there that dont belong. One item that I can see is the raised imaxmemory setting. This is way too high based on the Bethesda description of this setting, which assumes a default of 75k, and specifically states that values too high can cause crashes. I know it's touted as a good tweak in a few places, but I'm not at all convinced. I'd start by creating some fresh inis and see how that goes for a while. it could also quite easily be the good old memory limit, exacerbated by too many varied spawns with AV.

#3 Besidilo

Besidilo

Jarl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

Run BOSS and delete your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini config files. Then launch the game through the launcher to recreate them properly.

Recently gone through the lists and removed a few random mods, and some that are too buggy to fix (3dNPC etc)

This is the likely cause of your issues. Missing assets in the save games.

Also, what's your VRAM usage like in the game?

#4 Aiyen

Aiyen

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Yeah the issues are most likely memory related. And I agree with the other suggestions here. However on top of VRAM then also RAM please. You do have a 4Gb card so VRAM is theoretically enough but people who come here and read this will keep thinking that VRAM figures apply for all card types which they do not. It is just a small mission of mine to stop people thinking in VRAM since it is a massively inaccurate figure that depends on too many other settings. RAM is more straightforward, and more likely to be the culprint. Also you do have a large amount of extra weapons and armor mods, and you do force those extra options to actually spawn. Hence you effetively have many MANY more textures that need to load in at once. On top of those weird memory .ini tweaks then your issues might be there. Also lastly, when you use such a large mod list then you might as well get used to the idea of taking it "slow" while traveling. The way to do it is to either find some sort of cave etc. while traveling and make a change from exterior to interior. Or just save your game, and quit to menu and reload. Both ways will force the game to unload unrequired info from memory keeping you running for longer.

#5 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:36 AM

VRAM very rarely goes above 2.5GB outdoors. DRAM doesn`t go above 2.8GB outdoors. Ive spent a good while resizing mods and removing mods to lower my RAM usage. I`m more than confident that its not RAM that causing the issues. As i`ve said already, since they appear to be totally random but once they appear, i can reload a previous save and it WILL happen again. - REF, mamoths outside whiterun And it is not because of a corrupt save game, as i stated, this i a new start only 8 hours of GPlay

#6 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:31 AM

OK, so fresh day, new set of eyes. And some enthusiasm.....Time to remove some mods, do some updating and see if i can sort this... MODS removed... Bring Out Your Dead (+ associated patches, never used it, plus need to get rid so i can remove......) JaySuS swords (only in there coz one of the qotsafan skyre patches required it) Immersive armors (really dont want to but gonna give it a try) Brawls Bugs (not needed with SkyRe, as built in) Disease Descriptions (meh, just trying to lower esp numbers)

#7 Aiyen

Aiyen

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

Well if a CTD is not due to memory, then it is most likely due to a script. If it is persistent and reproduceable, then the papyrus log should show which mod specifically is the cause.

#8 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

Well, im just going through updating and stuff. Just found out a MAJOR RETARDATION. I updated skyTEST last week before my last new game...but i forgot to re-apply the SR fixes to it!!!! I Think i might have found some of my problems.....LOL Atleast ive managed to cut down my mod list a bit though aswell

#9 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

ok well, i`ve gone through and updated, and re-applied all the SR fixes. Ive removed several mods. Ran boss, FNIS, wrye bash, and then SUM. But now my game wont load with ASIS. Ive re-installed ASIS, but still crash on load. i take ASIS out, and its fine, even with reproccer and dual sheath still there. current load order
Any ideas? I Suppose i can run without ASIS for now, but i really would like to get it running again

#10 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

Figured it out.... Turns out quotsfans EEO + BOYD patch will allow the use of ASIS perks, but the quotsfans EEO patch will not. Atleast i still got ASIS spells and potions, would be pointless otherwise

#11 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

NOPE THIS DAMN GAME IS GETTING TO BE VERY ANNOYING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im now down to having half my mod list turned off, and the game is still freezing. Its getting beyond a joke.

#12 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

If you've sorted out your ini files, then I still think memory is a likely cause. You must remember that the memory figure reported is highly inaccurate - the 3.1 figure is a *very* rough guideline that emerged during our early testing. Skyrim could easily be hitting its memory limit while reporting 2.8gb, or even lower.

#13 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Im not getting CTDs, im getting freezing. I thought the 3.1GB issue was just CTD. Yes i know its not exactly 3.1GB but thats the name for it :) And im hoping someone out there can help me with this. If someone could run round their game and do what im doing....see what they get, would be awesome. Hoping someone with a fully modded game (step or preferably SR) could follow what im doing and see if they get it too Start in whiterun > ride horse along roads to falkreath jail > talk to the prisoner and get the ring > on foot, head out to the bridge just outside of town > take the guards out with bow/crossbow > kill white stag Its somewhere around this point im getting my freezing. (It happens at different points at differing stages but ive not been able to get near the cave as of yet) Also, i can find these freezes in varying parts of skyrim, but this one is reproducable for me. Note: I have now reset my ini files, and have reset my active mods to nothing but altern start, skyre, SR optimized vanilla files, and the SR fixes section.....so far so good

#14 phazer11

phazer11

Chatroom Supervisor

• Super Moderators
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

No Monty I don't think it is. I read through his first post and it sounds almost exactly like the problem I'm having. 7hr08ik can you try making a new save
1. Using alternate start say you own property in one of the holds select Vlindrel Hall
2. then enter the code ~ (then type) player.additem f 1000 and then tgm that will let you buy a horse from the guy outside Markarth near the stables.
2. Ride out from the stables ill the forsworn at kolskegar mine and keep on going past Blind Cliff Cave and towards Karthwasten
3. Keep going past Karthwasten, there will be a bridge between there and Broken Tower Redoubt and see if you freeze as you get to the far side of the bridge.

Here's a map to help.

That bridge is the place I've been able to fairly regularly replicate my freezes I've been posting in the General Support thread but haven't had much luck getting answers as it is a Skyrim Revisited Problem and not the General S.T.E.P.

#15 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

hey phazer11 first of all thank you!!! you get it too....i mean bad you get it too :P as you see from my lat post i have been doing clean starts... this morning i began deactivating mods, and starting fresh games...16 times so far and i just though screw it, i`ll start from nothing and work my way up. So now, ive only got SkyRe, the SR fizes section and altern start. Once i get to a point where my freeze is back ill try yours. If you could try mine out that would be awesome. (falkreath) I know it sounds retarded, but i have an incling what it could be......when i first setup SR, i was using SRO but in my attempts to lower my RAM and VRAM usage in the 3.1GB issue i was getting lots of freezing and crashes. So i took off SRO completely and most of my freezes went away, but a week or so later i realised that all the files that SR says to remove if using SRO i had not replaced. So i put them back, and carried on playing. Now im getting these freezes again. (The occasional CTD but nothing serious) So my thoughts are it could be a mesh file or bad texture that DDSopt cant handle. But i wont know untill i get through my mod list again. Im going to work through it, loading up chunk by chunk and check that ive got the SR patches correct as i go. Hopewfully i can narrow down exactly what it is. And i will post a full list of what i find. I know im not getting the 3.1gb memory error, im running a 4GB GPU and 8GB RAM, my skyrim never goes above 2.8 and usually sits around 2.2~2.4. It might take a while to go through all my mods, but if you wouldn`t mind trying my freeze. And i`ll give yours a go once i hit my problems EDIT: Start in whiterun > ride horse along roads to falkreath jail > talk to the prisoner and get the ring > on foot, head out to the bridge just outside of town > take the guards out with bow/crossbow > kill white stag Its somewhere around this point im getting my freezing. Furthest i`ve managed to get it talking to hircines ghost. worst is approaching the bridge it freezes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users