125 replies to this topic

#31 phazer11

phazer11

Chatroom Supervisor

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Well it's like a massive 1-2 second stutter I only noticed them once I turned Vsync off but I'm not sure if the game would have frozen if I had VSync on or not I'm thinking the giant stutters are where it would have frozen before but I'm not sure. And I guess it's an FPS drop but its so quick I can't tell if the fps dropped or not if that makes sense...

#32 Freyrgjurd

Freyrgjurd

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

Makes sense, yes. It's a massive FPS drop. With VSync ON, you can only acknowledge that if it falls beyond 60~50fps. But since you are with VSync OFF, then you'll notice the full drop. As said, your GPU must be swapping the VRAM, because it's full. Give Skyrim Perfomance Monitor (on nexus) a try and get your values for VRAM and System RAM. You should see if the vram is filled and if the stutter occurs while changing cells.

#33 phazer11

phazer11

Chatroom Supervisor

• Super Moderators
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

That's the thing I have optimized the 1k versions of my landscape texture packs and am not even using half of my VRAM outdoors not even It's about 1480 on average (though it doesn't seem to matter if ENB is on or not). My RAM hovers around 1800 on average.

#34 Freyrgjurd

Freyrgjurd

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

ENB will tax if Ambient Occlusion and SkyLightning are on and with high settings. But more of the GPU than VRAM. It's good to keep ENB of for tests, since it "eliminates" a possible culprit. The synthoms are base of FPS drops, if not by VRAM swapping, maybe script failure ? As for testing purposes, you can eliminate HighRes Texture pack ONLY (and SFO), one by one and see if anything changes. The textures will simply revert to HRDLC / Vanilla, unaltering the gameplay / enhancement mods. If you eliminate the VRAM theory, you are left with disk access times and script bloating, I think.

#35 phazer11

phazer11

Chatroom Supervisor

• Super Moderators
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

Here's the performance monitor screenshot up until the last freeze.
Posted Image

#36 Freyrgjurd

Freyrgjurd

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

That's better. 1. I can see you use a GPU from a Notebook. Those 3Gb VRAM are dedicated or shared ? 2. In mid test you had a huge drop in VRAM/RAM. Alt + tabbed ? Or maybe just the loading screen for an interior cell. 3. You just crossed the 2Gb VRAM threshold right before the freeze. 4. Many drops in GPU/CPU use, while gaining fps. Prolly the loading screens. My main point: Those 3Gb are dedicated or shared ? If 2Gb dedicated + 1Gb shared, would explain the freezes. Since after passing 2Gb and filling VRAM, you crash. Or 1Gb dedicated + 2Gb shared, wich explains the heavy fps drops you are having. EDIT: You GPU values are all over the board. That's very odd. They should be more linear. If they happend during the stutters, is vram swaping. (Or just loading screens, since the second-half of the test is linear). What is the model of you notebook ?

#37 phazer11

phazer11

Chatroom Supervisor

• Super Moderators
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

3GB dedicated. My "note"book is an Asus G75VX-BHI7N11 with a Corsair Neutron GTX 240 GB SSD as the main drive with OS and Skyrim. That drop was probably me alt-tabbing and yes those gaining fps while dropping usage are loading screens. Here is the latest one.
Posted Image

Edit: Here are the Graphics Specs

Attached Files

#38 Freyrgjurd

Freyrgjurd

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

Pretty consistent all around. No apparent causes for stutter or freezes. Just like me. And still, I too get CTD/Freezes, no apparent causes. Which leads me to believe it's a mod with script errors. Well, that's where I can't help you with. I'm stuck there too. Currently fresh installing using MO. If I find anything, I'll post here. NOTE: Yeah, it's more of a "Fire"book. Pretty awesome *-*

#39 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:08 AM

In my experience freezing mid-game (not on loading screen) is a save game/mod related issue in 99% of the time as long as your gaming rig is fairly high-end and you didn't overdo it on the texture load or ini tweaks. As you said in advance: 3 GB RAM-issues usually lead to CTDs not freezes.

#40 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

OK, i left th epage for an evening and BOOM, 30 new posts. Well quick update, i spent better part of a day and night (3AM) re-installing all my mods and getting everything updated. I left the pc on overnight running a DDSopt sweep on the full folder at 2048x2048. Im now just about to run *_n.dds sweep at 1024x1024 on everything. Then i will go through and DDSSopt a few of the mods at lower settings (armor, the big 3, etc) Now to answer some of these questions. Im sorry if i seem blunt but some of these questions are stupid. If it was my save file size then it wouldn`t be happening withing 5 minutes of a new game starting.....which i mentioned a few times i was doing over and over (16 odd times) trying to remove moids and find the culprit. Yes ive added the SKSE tweak to the game. A clean save procedure????? NEW GAME!!!! For ref....the saves i have been getting are about 7~10mb (but i havnt managed to get past 15 hours fof Gplay in the last few months. But anyways, got everything re-installed, just getting the textures sorted, then get my game fired up. I have made a couple of changes to the load order, and found someone somewhere on the forum saying he swapped out DSI to the medium version and had alot less issues (its an idea) Going to be running armors and the big 3 landscapes at 1024 with half normals, and going to lower BFS, apocalypse, and DSI to 512/256......(The detail of the fire in the ground really doesn`t bother me, but these seem to have affected my freezing before so thinking lower them to lower their impact)

#41 Aiyen

Aiyen

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

Guess I should share this little nugget with the rest of ya who are using MO. Assuming you have extracted and optimized the vanilla and DLC textures from their BSA´s and have them as loose files at the start of your MO mod list. Instead of deactivating every texture mod etc. Just move the optimized texture mods down to the bottom of the mod list. That way EVERY texture is reverted back to vanilla, even from mods that have .esp´s as well. (exception is CoT and similar that uses different texture folder structures.) It makes it a lot easier to test for memory issues due to texture size. Do note that LOD trees will look rather funny since SFO uses a special LOD texture based on version... There might also be a few other textures, but that one is the largest and most noticeable one. I found it does not cause any instability... just looks horrible. Also for testing ingame then you can increase your characters move speed in the console so you can actually get around in the world faster to force some cell swaps etc. player.setav speedmult # where # is in percent, so 500 is 5x normal speed. Do note that if you set it TOO high then the game will CTD/freeze due to the extreme swapping etc. However the faster you can go with this the more stable your game should logically be! At least memory wise. This is what I normally do when I test and so far it works fine.

#42 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

Not a bad idea. But for startes, im gonna start with my reproducable freeze, phazer11`s, if get them working then this could be a good way to test overall outdoor performance

#43 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

Well, i have finally finished re-installing all the mods. Patches remade, all mods DDSopt`d, SUM ran, everything done. Here`s my new mod list
This is what i`ve done with my mods
Now time to run through the game, and test the 2 known freeze points

#44 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Well, good and bad news... My mod install folder is down to 21Gb (WOW) My in game RAM usage peaked at 2.1Gb, VRAM peaked at 1.8Gb I loaded up the game and started with my Hircines quest freeze. Fresh game, left all the MCM mod settings on default, and i managed to get all the way through the quest and run back to whiterun......Eureka you might think......but no... I started on phazer11`s markarth through Broken Tower Redoubt freeze. unfortunately as soon as i got to the other side of the bridge, the game froze. So now im going to have to start removing mods again and figuring out where the problem is.

#45 7hr08ik

7hr08ik

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

On a side note..... I think we should start gathering up reproduceable freeze points....So far we have 2, if i didnt know about Broken Tower Redoubt freeze i would have thought my game was fine. and played through until i hit a freeze and then teddy would have left the cot!!!! So, this far we have the following
If anyone has anymore freeze points please let us know so wwe can add them to the list, and compile some sort of Stability Freeze Test list or something

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users