General questions about SR

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This guide has been a huge help and I can't thank its creators and all of the developers working on STEP enough.  I've spent more time modding and debugging this damn game than I have spent playing it so finding this was a huge relief.  I'm addicted to mods, however, and can't stop adding more and more...I also, unfortunantly, can't get past the intro, or, at the very least, to Riverwood without the game crashing on me.  I've finally given up on trouble shooting it and am starting over, step by step, until I get a stable game that offers enough to satisfy me (what's the point in having Expanded Towns and Villages if I never, ever get to see any of the villages???)  Anyway, I created a STEP profile in MO and followed it precisely and have a stable game going.  I'm now working on a SR profile before I create a SR test profile to see what I can safely add.  I'm wondering, however, if the mods need to still be in the same order as STEP 2.6.2 or should I follow SR's layout?  They seem to be alphabetical in SR but STEP was insistent to do them in a particular order so I just want to know before I finish this profile and find it does nothing but ctd on me again, forcing me to finally put my fist through my monitor...(Curse you Bethesda!!!  I even gave up and switched to Far Cry 3 for a bit...until it decided to continually ctd on me as well...)

Any help anyone wants to share on the install/priority order for SR would be greatly appreciated.  I'm determined to finally kill some dragons again by the end of the weekend and can't wait until SR 2.0 is posted.  Thanks.

The mod list orders are pretty much only made in a given way so that a given set of textures overwrite another.

It is true that SR is somewhat alphabetical, however it is also divided up into sections. But again it is not really set in stone. However if you for example put the HDDLC mods from SR in the bottom then you will overwrite all the textures with vanilla ones which might be counter productive.

As for CTD´s. Try to start out with 1k resolution texture packs and the HDDLC ones and it should remove the worst of it.

Any help anyone wants to share on the install/priority order for SR would be greatly appreciated.  I'm determined to finally kill some dragons again by the end of the weekend and can't wait until SR 2.0 is posted.  Thanks.

Install order in MO does not matter, you can just drag them up and down to reorder your order.  What does is the order of overwrites, mods lower down will overwrite ones further up.  The reason to stick to the order in the guide even where it does not affect play is so that you can follow along with changes and for troubleshooting - it's just easier to stick to that order.  If you have extra mods just figure out where they should go logically given what you want to have priority.

Keep in mind that for MO the order of mods in the left pane affects which files overwrite which other files with the same name.  You still need to order your ESPs in the right pane using BOSS.

Thanks for the replies.  I have been using boss and placing any unknown esps where they most logically would seem to go.  I realize SR is divided into sections and could tell where texture overwrites are taking place so, yes, it is pretty easy to tell which mods are going to be the ones ultimately used in the end.  What is a bit more mysterious, however, is how scripts, and, to a lesser extent, meshes, work and what impact the ordering has on these.  For example, bowlegged jump fix appears in the first section of STEP but comes much, much later in SR (I'm at a different computer right now and just using bjf as an example, assuming it uses scripts or meshes). 

I just want to add this is hardly a critique of step or sr; they are both done extremely well and certainly appreciate the countless hours of work that have no doubt gone into this.  I just miss actually playing video games and want to make sure I'm going about it right in my trouble shooting.  I'll follow the order as it's laid out and am confident it will work much better than what I was doing before.  Thanks again.

Meshes are pretty easy. They control the shape the textures will be draped over and also which texture will go where. Overwriting one of them with another mesh is the same as textures conceptually. Meshes (and e en moreso textures) are pretty safe to replace mid-game, scripts you have to be much more careful with as they get embedded into your save game.

Installing, updating and tweaking mods can become quite addictive. You need to remember to step ack at some point and actually play the game.

What is the general rule of thumb for mod texture resolutions?

I'm currently downloading the 1k versions of SRO, Skyrim HD, Serious HD in preparation of SR 2.0.

Thought I could run everything at 2k textures but ctd and infinite loading screens are everywhere.