System requirements for SR?

Phyrre56

Question

I'm rocking the following hardware:

i5-2500k overclocked to 4.5 GHz

Radeon HD 7850 2GH overclocked around 1100 MHz (+ memory overclock)

8GB RAM

When I ran Core STEP (meaning mostly 1k textures) I was typically hitting around 1.3GB VRAM used indoors and 1.5-1.6GB outdoors. Perfectly stable though and framerate rarely if ever dropped below high 40s. 

Now I'm working through SR and obviously it's more demanding. I decided from the start to stick to 1k textures whenever possible given that Core STEP was already demanding. My question is -- do I have any hope of getting SR to run smoothly with this GPU? Or will I have to make serious concessions? 

Mods like Ultimate Lush Overhaul for example have me worried. Plus adding ENB to the mix. 

Is SR even feasible with less than 3GB VRAM? 

6 answers to this question

nice CPU OC you got, does it worth going that much? i got a 3570 the default is 3.4ghz, would you oc it?

your 7850 is also doing more than my 7950 (i made oc to 1000/1300 clock/memory only, idk why i cant get more than 1000, it stuck when doing stress test and have to hard-reboot, maybe it's my power supply? (i'm running w/ 500W only)

about your question, i still haven't tried cuz i'm installing it yet (for some days already ), finishing tonight, if anyone answer till there, i back here to tell my FPS since it's not so different than yours

I'm rocking the following hardware:

i5-2500k overclocked to 4.5 GHz

Radeon HD 7850 2GH overclocked around 1100 MHz (+ memory overclock)

8GB RAM

When I ran Core STEP (meaning mostly 1k textures) I was typically hitting around 1.3GB VRAM used indoors and 1.5-1.6GB outdoors. Perfectly stable though and framerate rarely if ever dropped below high 40s. 

Now I'm working through SR and obviously it's more demanding. I decided from the start to stick to 1k textures whenever possible given that Core STEP was already demanding. My question is -- do I have any hope of getting SR to run smoothly with this GPU? Or will I have to make serious concessions? 

Mods like Ultimate Lush Overhaul for example have me worried. Plus adding ENB to the mix. 

Is SR even feasible with less than 3GB VRAM? 

Your CPU speed I believe will make little if any difference. You are well advised to stick with the lower resolution textures if available. Your limiting factor will be that Skyrim is a 32 bit application and if you exceed or come close to 3.1 RAM (not VRAM) you will crash to desktop (CTD). You can use DSSopt on the main texture packs and it should help. But sticking with 1K textures where possible will also help. I have been doing Skyrim Revisited (SR) since early February and upgraded my graphics from dual SLI GTX 470 1.25 GB to a single GTX 680 4 GB with ENB and maintain close to 60 Frame per Second (FPS). I have yet to achieve a staple configuration. Using optimized textures, I do not come close to 3.1 GB, but still frequently CTD. However, I am using other mods in addition to SR such as Interest People and other mods that add NPCs. That may be my problem.

Is there any way to know which mods are causing the most strain on VRAM? For example if I'm blowing out my 2GB limit and it's killing my frame rate, where do I start in terms of scaling back? (Beyond 1k textures instead of 2k which I'm already doing)

The most strain on texture memory is in the following order.

SRO

Serious HD retexture

AV (depending on location)

SFO (if you use the full version)

Armor and weapons retextures. Depending on how many various armor and weapons you add, then they can take up large amounts. If you just stick to only vanilla type weapons then you can run with 2k and even a few 4k for the really epic looking ones.

All the various exterior retextures like mushrooms, ivy, moss, etc.

As long as you have 2Gb+ VRAM it is not the limiting factor. You will run out of ordinary memory and hit a CTD before VRAM becomes an issue. At least that is what I have found with my tests. The only thing you get from having a card with more VRAM is a bit less stuttering since you have a larger buffer on card.