Civil War Overhaul (by Apollodown)

EssArrBee

Civil War Overhaul by ApolloDown

I just saw this mod on the Nexus hot files, I knew it was being made but did not see it released until now. Basically the author restored much of the Civil War story line that Bethesda did not finish, but they left all the stuff for it in the esm and bsa's. ApolloDown made the Dragon Combat Overhaul mod which is excellent so I imagine that he will put the same kind of time into making this a proper mod, I'd say a definite candidate for a STEP pack that adresses gameplay.

Features:

1) Now there are major battles for Morthal, Markarth, Falkreath, Fort Greymoor, Dawnstar, Riften, and Winterhold.

2) You can lose a battle, when you lose the other side will get a shot at one of your holds until you win and now you can lose the war. This might be in the beta phase since it sounds to good to be true.

3) Now joining a side makes the other side actually attack you as if there was true factions in the war, even gaurds from holds on the opposite side of the war will attack you.

4) Wearing faction armor will actually make NPCs think you are part of that side in the war.

5) New skins for and races for the factions so that all of them aren't pasty white dudes.

6) AI revamped for the soldiers to be little less we todd ed (read it faster).

Looks like this best with a new game or at least one where you haven't joined a side in the civil war. Requires SKSE as well.

This looks VERY interesting. Looking at the known issues section it still needs lots of work.

For now, 3 USKP scripts are overwritten:

Posted Image

There are also various conflicts with few popular mods (Diverse Guards, SkyRe, Immersive Weapons,  Cloaks of Skyrim, USKP, EBQO).

As it involves lots of scripts, I am not sure how safe would it be to use in a complex Skyrim build. If its even considered fot STEP packs, we'd need to look at USKP and EBQO mods only I guess.

That's actually pretty good! Except that I dont wear any faction, except one or two characters :p but still! Aggression just by joining the other side, nothing? I'll look into it

There is also a nice Armor Disguises mod, I've used it before, but I use a bunch of mods that add scripts and had to get rid of a couple to reduce some crashes. Basically you put on an armor and you can be disguised, really helps when you have a high bounty in a place you need to go to.

I did realize that this was not going into Core STEP when I recommended it, but ApolloDown did the Dragon Combat Overhaul which is really good. With STEP having packs for 2.3, I imagine that there will have to be a couple of gameplay packs and this would be good for that. Also, I remember Arthmoor talking about doing something with all the leftover assets for the civil war that were unused and this mod finally did just that, plus a bit more.

• 1 month later...

well ive been testing this mod now for about 3 weeks and I am extremely impressed. At the same time, there have even been moments where the mod elicits an anger response because it reveals to me so many vanilla assets and vanilla storyline components that it leaves me feeling like wt* Bethesda!?@?#!? The amount of recorded dialogue that is there but never used in-game amazes me. I feel very lucky to have someone like apollodown who is skilled enough to pick up all of the pieces and build something like this.

Anyways, I started a new character and have been doing a playthrough with all of the current STEP-Core mods enabled, a handful of non-Core, and an equal handful of my own personal mods. All things considered, it has gone very smooth. As of a few days ago the mod still had not been added to the BOSS masterlist. Initially I wasn't too sure where it should go in load order, but I ended up just making a new rule that places it in 'Base C' (C for Civil War Overhaul.esp), and that location in load order seems to be working out just fine. I only mention this in case anyone else was wondering where they should put the esp in their load order.

So, all in all, I think this is a great mod and I am strongly advocating for it to be considered for STEP testing.  I feel that even though the mod adds a whole new dynamic to the game and thus truly is an "overhaul" mod (which STEP mandate is typically against), I believe this is a very unique circumstance where the overhaul being done is clearly in line with the original game, as the author has only continued the work of the bethesda game designers.  I suppose an argument could be made that, since all of these vanilla assets were just abandoned, clearly the designers ultimately chose not to take the game in that direction, and thus this mod doesn't truly reflect the game's original intent.  While that argument may have some validity, I don't feel the mod deviates so much that it shouldn't be considered "in line with" the original game.

This mod is truly astounding. The amount of work that he has probably put into this is likely overwhelming. Aside from that, the mod adds many features that I feel are truly missed in the original game, and it also fixes/enhances some of the features already present.  I have  had very little, if any, problems or incompatibility issues.  I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, at the very least, be approved for STEP testing. 

This is my final recommendation. :D 

Thanks - very useful. I had been wondering how stable it really was and whether it played nice with other mods.

Did you need to create any compatibility patches?

honestly I havent even opened it up in TES5Edit yet with my whole load order to see if/where it contains any esp conflicts. But there havent been any noticeable conflicts in-game. I'll take a closer look at the ESP in the next day or so and let you know what i find. Off the top of my head though i suspect there will be a few conflicts between it and better quest objectives, but thats nothing to worry about and patching that is a piece of cake.

But I'll update the post when i compare the esp to my my load order; hopefully there's not much to worry about.

I don't agree that this mod should go into Base C, if anything, it should go in Overrides C, so that it loads after EBQO. Reason? To prevent EBQO from overwriting important quest changes from the overhaul. If ApolloDown did not improve the quest objectives himself, I'll discuss with him later.

Sure, quest objectives are important, but you need to make sure the quest works in the first place.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure if it was William who got it into the user list or not? Just thought you might have because you normally help in that regard if I remember :)

Anyway, it is now placed under Overrides C by Boss for those who are interested.