STEP installed but CTDs...

George79

Question

Hello guys/girls,

I just registered on this forum and I want to express my problem with STEP installation. I don't know if any more of you have the same issues and/or if already a post like this exists, but here goes.

I followed the STEP guide to the letter and installed all the mods with Mod Organizer (great tool btw). Since I had some weird outcomes with a few of the mods I decided to skip them (e.g. Maximum Skeletons). So I installed a kind of baseline STEP configuration with some extra mods beyond STEP. My rig is not that powerful but I managed to get around 25-30 fps in outdoor areas even with SkyRealism ENB enabled.

Here's the issue:

Game runs smoothly but it CTDs and/or freezes mid-game without any obvious cause. I did some digging around the net and saw a few people having issues with the 2 GB limit problem, but that's solved in the latest versions.

my specs are:

Intel Q6700 2,66 GHz

8 GB DDR3 SDRAM

nVidia GTX 460 SE 1 GB vRAM /w latest drivers

Skyrim /w all DLCs and HRDLCs and Unofficial patches

I've played Skyrim before without any mods and had no issues. Should I just try re-installing STEP see if I messed up somewhere?

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Trying to see which mods could cause this kind of behavior. But most sound mods do not deal with any player characters as far as I recall.

Which is why it is a bit strange. Here I assume that we are talking about a new game and not a saved one that has had previous mods installed and removed, since then the reason would most likely be that.

Trying to see which mods could cause this kind of behavior. But most sound mods do not deal with any player characters as far as I recall.

Which is why it is a bit strange. Here I assume that we are talking about a new game and not a saved one that has had previous mods installed and removed, since then the reason would most likely be that.

It seems that two people have the same type of issue, right? I can't think of anything that would do that. Maybe a glitch or mistake with thundering shouts or something?

Yes it is a new save and the voice is also female in pure vanilla!! :wallbash: lol Imagine the huge hairy Nord hurting like a girl!!! hahahahah

All the others Nords in game sound like males though :><:

I should begin anew and get an Orc. :devil:

If that is satisfactory then go ahead.

If pure vanilla also has the issue then something really strange is going on. In that case then the unofficial patch team should properly be made aware of it, so they could get a fix if it is a vanilla issue.

If that is satisfactory then go ahead.

If pure vanilla also has the issue then something really strange is going on. In that case then the unofficial patch team should properly be made aware of it, so they could get a fix if it is a vanilla issue.

Can you tell me how to make a patch with TES5Edit?

Okay I am no expert in this, and I am not even sure if this is correct! I guess I need to learn not to say that stuff is simple! ;) 

Anyhow! I have looked around in tes5edit on the Vanilla masters for the entries that would affect the voice used by the PC actor. 

If you load in all the Bethesda .esm´s 

Then search for the following FormID 00013746

Then you should get NordRace, under the Race tab in skyrim.esm  or update.esm 

Then you want to scroll down until you find VTCK - Voices 

There you should see one for male and one for female. Their formID´s should be 00013AD2 and 00013ADD respectively  

Now if you load in your entire load order in tes5edit and do the same you should be able to see if anything alters that record, and then you should be able to alter it so that it links to the correct sound files. 

This is of course assuming that they are the correct ones! I have a kinda hard time testing since I have the correct sounds. 

When I do it I see nothing altering said records. And I assume that these are the correct records for this race. 

If anybody with way way WAY more experience wants to chip in and correct me please do so! :) 

Okay I am no expert in this, and I am not even sure if this is correct! I guess I need to learn not to say that stuff is simple! ;) 

Anyhow! I have looked around in tes5edit on the Vanilla masters for the entries that would affect the voice used by the PC actor. 

If you load in all the Bethesda .esm´s 

Then search for the following FormID 00013746

Then you should get NordRace, under the Race tab in skyrim.esm  or update.esm 

Then you want to scroll down until you find VTCK - Voices 

There you should see one for male and one for female. Their formID´s should be 00013AD2 and 00013ADD respectively  

Now if you load in your entire load order in tes5edit and do the same you should be able to see if anything alters that record, and then you should be able to alter it so that it links to the correct sound files. 

This is of course assuming that they are the correct ones! I have a kinda hard time testing since I have the correct sounds. 

When I do it I see nothing altering said records. And I assume that these are the correct records for this race. 

If anybody with way way WAY more experience wants to chip in and correct me please do so! :) 

WoW thanks a lot for all the info! I will test it later when I get back home from work! Will have feedback later!:thumbsup:

Are you 100% sure that the problem also persist if you have no mods running at all and just vanilla Skyrim?

It just sounds really weird if that was the case, and I certainly never noticed any bugs like that. I am also fairly sure that Bethesda would have fixed it if it was the case. Or at the very least the unofficial patch would have been made aware of it.

Regardless you now have the means to find the formID´s if you happen to figure out which are the correct ones! I am sure someone with more modding experience can be of assistance in that regard.

Well, I'ld suggest you

-> backup and then delete your skyrim folder and your my games/skyrim directory manually.

-> Then you verify integrity of game cache. Then you start a new game and see whether the issue persists. It will not be so, since otherwise millions of players would've recognized this issue as disturbing enough to launch a crusade against bethesda for them making their archetype of a dragonborn sound like a wuss.

-> Then I'ld optimize the vanilla bsa (only the recommended).

-> If everything is alright, clean the esps.

-> If everything is alright, install all your mods in packs of maximum 10 (if they are using sound files or esps, if there are only textures that won't be the issue.)

-> If you've still not encountered the issue by now, start optimizing your textures with ddsopt for better stability, clean all esps (except where explicitly said to not do so) and make patches where needed.

-> You should now own a working copy of Skyrim with STEP installed on top.

Well, I'ld suggest you

-> backup and then delete your skyrim folder and your my games/skyrim directory manually.

-> Then you verify integrity of game cache. Then you start a new game and see whether the issue persists. It will not be so, since otherwise millions of players would've recognized this issue as disturbing enough to launch a crusade against bethesda for them making their archetype of a dragonborn sound like a wuss.

-> Then I'ld optimize the vanilla bsa (only the recommended).

-> If everything is alright, clean the esps.

-> If everything is alright, install all your mods in packs of maximum 10 (if they are using sound files or esps, if there are only textures that won't be the issue.)

-> If you've still not encountered the issue by now, start optimizing your textures with ddsopt for better stability, clean all esps (except where explicitly said to not do so) and make patches where needed.

-> You should now own a working copy of Skyrim with STEP installed on top.

OK you lost me. How do I "verify the integrity of game cache"? Is it somewhere on the hard drive? like a temp folder?

I've no qualms deleting the whole game without backup, as I haven't progressed at all what with all these crashes :P

Finally, if you look at the SR guide, there are mods that are installed in the beginning which require other mods to work properly and those mods are installed much later on. Skyrim won't actually work before ALL of SR is installed.