Photo

User Feedback - POST HERE!

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#46 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,755 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

Excellent, thanks! Though I'd say "on a separate drive/partition from the operating system" instead of "hosting the operating system" because the current phrasing sounds like it's encouraging you to put it on the OS partition.

Made it through the first couple of sections and did my first benchmark. I'm in the Fixes section now, posting while I wait for the enormous Vanilla Optimized Textures mod to download, heh. More minor oddities encountered:

• Several mods in section 2D state that they can be skipped if ENBoost is installed. Given that ENBoost is Core STEP now, it doesn't make sense to tag these mods as Core STEP. I can understand having them around as crucial fixes for people who opt out of ENBoost, but they shouldn't have the green Core bar.

I have wanted to simply drop some of those mods, but there are a few users that choose not to run ENBoost. For those users, these mods should be installed. I still just say drop those mods from the Guide. Those users can skipping essential (aka Core) mods can simply fend for themselves. Cut throat? Probably. :ermm:

#47 Tarvok

Tarvok

Thane

• Citizen
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:20 PM

I would suggest dropping them as well. No sense confusing newer users for the sake of contrarians who only want to do a partial install.

#48 elwaps

elwaps

Knight

• Citizen
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:18 AM

=== 2.J. Animations & Effects ===

- Animated Clutted
Slows down looting a lot. Will it be too annoying to keep installed?

- General note: Adding the Core mods in section 2.J seems to have slowed down loading times a lot.

I'm using Animated Clutter for a long time now. Instead of being annoying, it only costs a little time and looks way more immersive.

As for the loading times after 2J:

2I Clothing & Equipment - 18 seconds till main menu - 38 seconds for starting a new game

2J Animations & Effects   - 17 seconds till main menu - 36 seconds for starting a new game

For me, the biggest changes in loading times occurred here:

2G Landscape & Environment - 15 seconds till main menu - 11 seconds for starting a new game

2H Characters & Creatures     - 15 seconds till main menu - 36 seconds for starting a new game

and here:

2M Gameplay - 18 seconds till main menu - 37 seconds for starting a new game

2N Patches     - 23 seconds till main menu - 50 seconds for starting a new game

REGS, however, pushes the loading times to

431 Quests, Adventures, Patches - 40 seconds till main menu - 98 seconds for starting a new game

#49 SabreCat

SabreCat

Thane

• Citizen
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:05 PM

I have wanted to simply drop some of those mods, but there are a few users that choose not to run ENBoost. For those users, these mods should be installed. I still just say drop those mods from the Guide. Those users can skipping essential (aka Core) mods can simply fend for themselves. Cut throat? Probably. :ermm:

I approve of this plan! Tear them out, then when somebody complains, give them the changelog and suggest they create a "No ENBoost" STEP Pack.  :devil:

#50 SabreCat

SabreCat

Thane

• Citizen
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:50 AM

Made it to the end of the guide, and I'm impressed! Some of the new pieces since I was here last, like DynDOLOD, were quite complex, but the steps were easy to follow. I'm investigating a CTD now, so I don't know if it actually worked, though...

A couple more thoughts in the meantime:
* I didn't realize how all or nothing things were, now, due to how fragile the requirements of the STEP Compilations are. It might be worth calling out that if you don't install every mod in the list, you risk being unable to use the STEP patches.
* The first time I tried DynDOLOD, I ended up with a "redundant" mod entry in MO because the World generation step defaulted to use the same folder as the Textures step. I suspect that's a bad thing! If so, clarification in the guide that you must use a different output folder for that second script run would help people avoid that mistake.

#51 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,755 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:18 PM

The list of required mods on the OP of the Compilation topic. I've added a note to not use the that same folder. Never thought anyone would try to do that, but there you go. If you do use it, you'll need to delete that 'textures' folder first.

#52 sgtnapalm

sgtnapalm

Citizen

• Citizen
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

Unsure of where to post this. Unable to edit any wiki pages for suggestions or otherwise for the guide to make minor changes. Uninterested in becoming a wiki contributor for minor typographical fixes.

Under 1.E.2. Display Calibration, the paragraph reads

Color calibration is critical to photographers and graphic artists that work across media types, but it is also more or less important for everyone that uses a computer. For gamers like those interested inb STEP, it is a bit more important, because there is a lot of screenshot sharing and qualitative discussion about in-game visuals. It is ideal id all users are somewhat 'standardized' for comparative purposes alone.

I believe id should be if.

Edited by sgtnapalm, 03 December 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#53 Nebulous112

Nebulous112

Jarl

• VIP-Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:44 PM

Unsure of where to post this. Unable to edit any wiki pages for suggestions or otherwise for the guide to make minor changes. Uninterested in becoming a wiki contributor for minor typographical fixes.

Under 1.E.2. Display Calibration, the paragraph reads

I believe id should be if.

Also 'inb' should be 'in', while we're at it.

For gamers like those interested inb STEP[...]

Edited by Nebulous112, 03 December 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#54 SabreCat

SabreCat

Thane

• Citizen
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

The list of required mods on the OP of the Compilation topic. I've added a note to not use the that same folder. Never thought anyone would try to do that, but there you go. If you do use it, you'll need to delete that 'textures' folder first.

Never underestimate the power of users to do things that are silly! In this case, it was a case of defaults creating a bad path of least resistance. I think DynDOLOD picks up the `o:` switch and dumps that path into the dialog.

As for the list of required mods, I did find that when troubleshooting. It just came as an unpleasant surprise when I got to the patches. It'd be awesome if the patches weren't all-or-nothing but rather had a list of checkboxes, such as you often see on other mods that autodetect what you already have installed, but I suspect that's not technically feasible for one reason or another!

#55 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Uber Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:55 PM

No can do. Not until Mator Smash or Wrye Bash are capable of doing most of the patching.

#56 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrator
  • 12,755 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

The FOMOD is auto-detecting the mods. That's why they're not selectable if you don't have all the required mods installed. : thumbsup:

#57 Puff3r

Puff3r

Watcher

• Citizen
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:12 PM

I have looked, and cannot find this anywhere or a better place to make the suggestion. In section 2.O. Launching STEP:Skyrim, immediately following the LOOT rules, I would love to see a collection of the recommended MCM Settings. Having them in the Detailed Instructions link is very helpful, but a collection of the recommendations in one place would be extremely helpful for those of us with dual monitors. I would be able to launch the game with the guide open on my second monitor and easily apply the suggestions as opposed to having multiple tabs open to hop between them and ensure I have not missed any.

#58 Rudeman666

Rudeman666

Watcher

• Citizen
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this but I have a question about the detailed instructions available for aMidianBorn Book of Silence, where it says:

"Addon, Hotfix and Path Fix

Download and install the Staff of Magnus Hotfix (into aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Unique Items) and the Content Addon."

This is very, very unclear and DOES NOT make any sense. Are we supposed to download the Staff of Magnus zipfile manually, extract it and then copy it into BOTH the Unique Items mod folder AND the Content addon mod folder? The Mod Organizer instructions below this for installing the Content Addon and fixing the path are very clear but there is no clarity in what to do with the Staff of Magnus hotfix.

Also, here too.

"Final Step 40px-MO_%2832%29.png
USERS Required: Right click the aMidianBorn Book of Silence mod > Information > Optional ESPs. Move aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp from the lower pane to the upper pane.

"

Which of the 7 aMidianborn mods does this pertain to? Or were we supposed to merge them all into ONE mod when we installed them. I currently have them as unique mods.

Edited by Rudeman666, 11 January 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#59 Greg

Greg

High King

• Uber Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

When you install the Staff of Magnus hotfix, Mod Organizer pops up a dialog in which you can enter the name of the mod. Enter "aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Unique Items" as the name of mod and then click Merge when prompted. This will copy the Staff of Magnus meshes/textures into the aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Unique Items mod.

The second one is aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Weapons and this is the only mod in Book of Silence series that has a plugin.

#60 Nebulous112

Nebulous112

Jarl

• VIP-Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

Hi Rudeman666, welcome to STEP. :-)

There should probably be a comma in that statement in the wiki. Install the Staff of Magnus hotfix into the Unique Items mod (merge when asked). Then, also install the Content Addon.

It doesn't matter if the 5 original Book of Silence downloads and the Content addon (#6) are merged, or separate. If separate, make sure the content addon is installed after the others (has a higher priority # in MO).

I believe the optional .esp that is referred to is from the Weapons mod. You can always search the plugin list by typing in the first few letters of the .esp in the search area on the bottom pf the right pane. If you hover over the plugin name (or right-click, I'm not at my computer to tell), it should tell you the name of the mod it comes from.

Edit: Aaaand...ninja'd on mobile again. Lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users