Yet another Freeze Thread

phazer11

Question

Yeah I know... but I can't keep beating my head against the proverbial wall much longer.

If I could figure this out on my own I would. Ok so I've given up on using any sort of resource monitor as they never seem to give accurate info (likely because they can't) but 95-97% of my freezes or CTD's occur in the wilderness. Now it's mostly freezes and I don't think it's VRAM or the RAM limit as it occurs even when I decrease my monitor and game resolution down to 1280x720 from 1600x900. I'm also using optimized 1k textures for all landscape and the largest resolution textures I have are my armors which have also been optimized (2k at most in this case)

I'm posting one of my latest logs at the bottom of this thread; I have more if you wish me to post them. If needed I can work up a mod list though at the moment the only non Skyrim Revisited mods or mods not in the SkyRe thread are The Black Sacrament Armor by AmethystDeceiver, Think to Yourself Messages, Real Shelter, Real Rain, Immersive Armors, Immersive Weapons, and Jaysus Swords, Unlimited Rings and Amulets, Guess the Distance and Blacksmith Forge Water Fix. 

Papyrus.0.7z

• Answers 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just as a small reminder. If you run the game with logging enabled it automatically gets more unstable due to the extra recording the script engine has to do.

You can get issues just from having it on that you would not get with it off! So always test both with and without logging enabled.

Just ran it with logging disabled and got a crash in the wilderness with a Windows Error reporting dialog. Here's the Skyrim Performance Monitor screenshot. It was running on battery power (trying to keep the battery from developing a memory) but received about the same FPS as normal the dips are from it not being able to compensate as much as on AC power.

Posted Image

I just have to post an update. I'm kinda wondering if the majority of my troubles with Wilderness freezes is Convenient Horses. I played for 3 and a half hours (the majority on foot) without a freeze (the longest I've been able to since starting Skyrim Revisited) and was quite cheesed off that I got a freeze while crafting a fur tent.

Testing areas were from Bloated Man's Grotto to Falkreath to Peddlers Misfortune to Riften to the Swamps south (including getting the Atronach stone buff) of Windhelm to Ivarstead to Whiterun and most everything in between. I did not enter but one dungeon but had several fights (including some with 10+ wolves) contracted several STD's from said wolves ate alot of food, stayed at several inns, made 1 campfire and setup a small leather tent during the heaviest rainfall and cursed several times.

Also crossbows be OP.

Skyrim Performance Monitor Screenshot Below. BOSS log attached.

Posted Image

I haven't updated SkyRe yet as I'm waiting on the second set of patches to be ready qot is very fast it seems. INI settings seem to have been the cause of the infinite loading screens (seems somehow I changed the Split Distance Multiplier to 2)

BOSSlog - 3.5 Hour without Horse.7z

Yeah but it isn't quite I just went in a dungeon and tried to lay a trap and ctd. I used krypt's mod to remove heavy armor from the crafting menu and that seemed to help but idk has anyone else had issues with Convenient Horses?

And as I just got the DLC do you have to do a quest for the Dawnguard to enhance crossbows for SkyRe it's odd I would have thought I could upgrade it at a forge. I don't know maybe I should re-enable logging?

Just had a CTD in the Wilderness while fighting so it's definitely not fixed. This time it was around the ruins with all the subjugated ghosts near labyrinthian near orotheim or something like that. I was playing for about an hour.

You should realize that there are probably multiple different mods that all add up - it's not just one issue. If you've got your graphics well under control then I suspect it's probably the sum of all the game play mods running scripts, plus perhaps an unstable mod or two.

Well of course that's why I'm posting here after all I've tried fixing it on my own and haven't had much luck.

Does anyone think I should enable logging or have any mods besides frostfall and Realistic Needs they think I should try disabling?

All script based mods can cause issues. Essentially I think you reach a point where you are just staring at the papyrus script engine and its flaws. It is a rather old and not very optimized engine after all. Even the vanilla game can get issues with freezing etc. This is all due to the script engine stopping its function due to any number of reasons.

If you can play for 1 hour or more without any issues, you have about as stable a game as you can get without going into every mod and optimize the scripts yourself.

You have to consider the complexity level of your modded list as well.

If you want to keep Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Disease.

I would also recommend removing Wet and Cold and just use the lightweight Get Snowy mod for the snow FX on armor.

When you have several script intensive mod being used simultaneously papyrus become more and more irrelevant unless there is one or multiple mod with blatant script issues.

The freeze will just be related to the scripting engine not being able to process all the script call.

Wilderness CTD could also be related to mod that add spawn like SkyTEST or Immersive Skyrim Creature.

Combat in Wilderness CTD could be related to any script mod affecting combat like SkyRe. For example with SkyRe all the vanilla spell have script attached to them.

Also there is a possibility that massive usage of leveled item list might cause issue.

IM Weapon/Armor, JaySuS Sword, SkyRe Weapon + Asis.

Thats pure speculation coming from a freeze paranoiac though. :P

The bigger the modlist, the bigger the issues. :)

If you want to keep Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Disease.

I would also recommend removing Wet and Cold and just use the lightweight Get Snowy mod for the snow FX on armor.

This makes sense but I've held off doing it.  Wet and Cold adds some nice effects (blurry vision in blizzards, equipping cloaks, etc.) - it just seems to make Skyrim seem much more subartic.

Well I'll leave Frostfall, Wet and Cold and Footprints enabled and disable Player Headtracking, SkyTEST and as I think I may have accidentally cleaned Guard Dialogue Overhaul I'm replacing and re-editing that. I'm going to try out the new version of Spinning Arrows since it does not seem to need an esp like the previous one as it's only meshes. I'm also seriously considering jumping ship on Realistic Lighting Overhaul and using Enhanced Lighting and FX (the problem will be going through the cells and editing)

I keep hoping Chesko will release his optimized code for Wearable Lanterns and I think he said Frostfall as well soon. Also has anyone heard if he nixed his alternative to Realistic Needs and Diseases or if it's just taking forever? I assume it's likely on the back burner (I hope) with his game design job and the script optimizations.

There's a new version of Skytest out today. It is supposed to address some of the issues with Hearthfire - not sure if it's successful.

He also has a version with just the animal AI tweaks without the extra spawns, etc. This might be more performance friendly.

I've never really decided what I think about Skytest. I'm running it now but that may be more inertia in that I can't be bothered to take the effort to think about removing it after it was included with SR.

I think spinning arrows is more Hollywood than reality so haven't bothered with using it.

I've been thinking I should ditch player head-tracking. It's sort of cool, but having another script running constantly might not be the wisest choice.

ELFX requires very little editing as far as I can see. That was a pleasant surprise when I started using it. I ditched RLO and Sounds of Skyrim - too many edits, too many ESP patches and, while RLO was good, I just felt SoS. ELFX combined with ENB (I've tried both RealVision and UnReal) makes for very dark dungeons if you are not close to a candle/torch - really heightens the sense of danger.

P.S. It's a nightmare on Nexus comments where people have recently started referring to Schlongs of Skyrim as SoS, when I read SOS as Sounds it often doesn't make any sense!