Yet another Freeze Thread

phazer11

Question

Yeah I know... but I can't keep beating my head against the proverbial wall much longer.

If I could figure this out on my own I would. Ok so I've given up on using any sort of resource monitor as they never seem to give accurate info (likely because they can't) but 95-97% of my freezes or CTD's occur in the wilderness. Now it's mostly freezes and I don't think it's VRAM or the RAM limit as it occurs even when I decrease my monitor and game resolution down to 1280x720 from 1600x900. I'm also using optimized 1k textures for all landscape and the largest resolution textures I have are my armors which have also been optimized (2k at most in this case)

I'm posting one of my latest logs at the bottom of this thread; I have more if you wish me to post them. If needed I can work up a mod list though at the moment the only non Skyrim Revisited mods or mods not in the SkyRe thread are The Black Sacrament Armor by AmethystDeceiver, Think to Yourself Messages, Real Shelter, Real Rain, Immersive Armors, Immersive Weapons, and Jaysus Swords, Unlimited Rings and Amulets, Guess the Distance and Blacksmith Forge Water Fix. 

Papyrus.0.7z

• Answers 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

ELFX requires very little editing as far as I can see. That was a pleasant surprise when I started using it. I ditched RLO and Sounds of Skyrim - too many edits, too many ESP patches and, while RLO was good, I just felt SoS. ELFX combined with ENB (I've tried both RealVision and UnReal) makes for very dark dungeons if you are not close to a candle/torch - really heightens the sense of danger.

Is there any reason to use ELFX over RLO beside having to edit cells?

There seem to be a lot of spotlight effect with ELFX.

RLO without post-proc: https://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/27043-1-1372181752.jpg

ELFX with Enhancer: https://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/27043-2-1372181860.jpg

How can a candle cast that much light?

I use RLO and RealVision with Dark Dungeons for ENB.

It's dark enough for the need to use torch/mage light when roaming in caves/dungeons/ruins.

I used to enjoy very dark night/dungeons but after a while it got annoying and even freaked me out sometime when I had no idea what was going on.

I remember fighting a dragon in pitch black. All I was seeing was a breath of fire in my face from time to time.

Only reason to use ELFX over RLO is if you like the authors vision of how lighting should be done more. They cover much of the same, and have many of the same weaknesses.

I have adjusted my monitor settings, and ENB preset so that nowhere is pitch black, unless there really is no light in the cell at all. One should always be able to at least get the hint of a wall etc. since it is a game afterall. One have to consider that while it might look all immersive and realistic etc. then after a while it just gets really annoying, and slows down the gameplay.

Neovalen is currently using ELFX because a) RLO doesn't seem to have many active developers and b) the ENB preset Neo's using Unreal Cineama, was made for ELFX. Then again, Neo isn't using the enhancer for ELFX.

I have gave Unreal Cinema a try and although it is probably the most amazing looking ENB preset I have seen, performance wise it is pretty pitiful.

I would not recommend anyone to use it for a walkthrough unless they don't mind the constant FPS fluctuation.

In Dawnguard Castle, I was getting 30-45fps with Unreal vs 55-60fps with RealVision.

Hopefully Neo's will provide a way to improve Unreal performance. :)

I got in another long chunk before the game froze on the loading screen while loading a save not quite sure why. Unlike the last time this one wasn't contiguous gameplay (playing SkyRe on Expert with only Meeko for backup and no arrows) against the large mudcrabs which seem to be bigger than they look as I shouldn't have been in range yet somehow they still hit me even though it didn't contact my body (visibly) so I was getting two and a half shotted also wolves >v< even without SkyTEST >V<

Performance Monitor says I was playing for 4 and a half hours but it's more like 3 to 3 and a half as I left the client open (on menu) whilst I fixed and ate dinner.

Just a bit of an update. I CTD'd when I got past the two wolf ambush near Riverwood. Did several saves and was able to make it to Alvor's house and from there I was able to get to the Giant/Companions encounter when I got a freeze as Aela was talking.

I can understand the wolf ambush outside Riverwood. I've always hated that road but it's the freezing while talking to Aela that gets me. I checked and my RAM and VRAM did not approach 3GB limitation: RAM was nestled comfortably at 1.9GB and VRAM at 1.5GB.