More Dynamic Shadows and Striping Fixed (by puuloo)

skwareballz

Discussion thread:
More Dynamic Shadows and Striping Fixed by puuloo
Wiki Link

More Dynamic Shadows and Striping Fixed Nexus link dead as of 7/8/2012

by puuloo
Author's description:

This mod adds more dynamic shadows and realistic lighting in almost all interiors in the game! I personally didn't like that there weren't enough dynamic shadows! Now almost every light will cast dynamic shadows and realistic lighting in every interior and exterior in the game!

This is not compatible with Shadow Stripping Fix mod which is already in STEP, but I believe it fixes many more instances where shadow stripping occurs. There is a list of all the interiors and dungeons in the readme with around 100 places already completed. The author has also stated that 20+ dungeons and fixes will be added to the mod every five days, so there are many fixes still on the way.
After testing this for around an hour, this mod does exactly what it says it's going to do and seemed to be completely compatible with RLWC, but I'd recommend to load this before both esp files from RLWC. I'm not using RCRN, so maybe someone else can test the compatibility.

There is no performance hit on more powerful rigs, but the nexus site mentions a small hit to low end rigs. I loaded this on my laptop and could see any drop in performance.

Overall, the extra dynamic shadows from the interior lights is a nice touch to Skyrim.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting myself from another thread on these forums about this mod:

This mod is a CtD waiting to happen. It has over 1000 UDRs, and tons of other mods try to edit the records that it deletes, so for a ton of people the game will just instantly crash with it running. I don't think it should be recommended at all.

Now ofcourse, it DOES work for a lot of people aswell, but if I was in charge I wouldn't find it "safe" enough for STEP. I have informed the author about it some time ago and he said thanks for the info etc on how to handle the issue in the future, but I don't think he got around to fixing it as sounded like he would simply consider it for his next project.

Edit: Had a look at the new esp (last I checked and when I informed him was at 2.5) and it had 1337 UDRs. 2.5 had 1044. :(

I didn't have any CtD problems with about an hour of going from city to city and a few dungeons, with STEP installed, but with the author updating every few days this is one to watch. He also said he'd upload a video answering questions about the mod.

Luckily there aren't many mods that would attempt to edit the records he has deleted. I did have CtDs constantly in many areas when I last tried it, but when I tried it now it seemed to run fine in Whiterun atleast (an area I used to crash instantly in with 2.5). I've deleted quite a few mods that could conflict though. :) But indeed, when it works it's a lovely mod.

This mod will be added in the "popular but not STEP recommended mods" because of two problems: potential CtD and shadow striping originated by new light sourced (expecially with the ini value iBlurDeferredShadowMask= set to 1)

It is surely a mod to keep an eye on, and i hope it'll be essential in the near future or when they will manage to also fix the remaning vanilla striping problem amplyfied by the new light added.

Definitely one to watch, but when I tried it I got ADDITIONAL shadow striping in the Riverwood areas. Helgen keep is also over-bright in some areas. I haven't really looked at the mod outside of this context. Additionally, sometimes light "flares" would happen (lighting completely changed when turning camera angle in the cave in Helgen Keep).I tried various ini tweaks to try and fix even increasing my interior shadow distance to 5000 to no avail. When it works it works well, when it doesn't it sucks.

When it becomes more mature and he fixes the deleted records this mod will definitely make it onto the list I'd imagine. It's just not there yet.

I installed v2.8 which was released today and had zero CTDs or freezes after 4 hours of playing, though a few people commented that they were still having problems. Also, there are still a few issues with certain light sources causing ultra bright reflections, like the big bird above the skyforge during the day is blinding, and ini tweaking didn't really fix it.

The author updates every week so it's still a good mod to keep an eye.