OBIS - Organized Bandits In Skyrim (by Indigoblade)

Zeran

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to test this soon.

So far I've created patches for USKP, UDBP and Immersive Weapons - they are now available in Optional Files section on mod's page.

What are the mod's conflicts with USKP and UDBP? What do the compatibility patches with USKP and UDBP do?

I honestly cannot remember... Download them and load them up in TES5EDIT to check it out.

If you use main plugin only, obis only randomises spawned bandits, it doesn't add new spawns. This is my understanding at least.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yea the main plugin doesnt add in any new NPC spawns, just new TYPES of NPCs in the spawns. It also randomizes the static bandit types in the spawns so you never know what types of bandits show up.

anyone use this with with immersive bandits.

@thenobody: OBIS is differnet you will get bandit raids on towns so you fight the bandits with guards and NPCs. downside is that i have not found a this is alot of fun. it can get harder as the guards die off. lol.

The bandits only travel through Whiterun and Falkreath right now, as well some of the towns around there, they also travel through several of the forts so if you did some of the CW quests you get awesome post civilwar ACTION

The immersive patrols and this mod's bandit patrols works great. I just didn't use the bandit patrols .esp from immersive patrols in favor of this one. Got to watch some interesting three way battles. At one point a dragon came and it was a fourway battle. Eventually it crashed as too much was going on, but for 15 minutes was pure chaos!

The only thing that I sometimes find a bit odd with this mod is the names of the bandits. Certainly better than vanilla though!

• 3 weeks later...

Immersive patrols and OBIS works fine together, I've had more trouble with Immersive Patrol to be honest, as it causes problems with increase spawns. Which can cause freezes depending on your load-order and how heavy it is.

BUT OBIS is amazing, adds a lot of new-ness to the game, a walk from Riverwood to Whiterun can be surprising, when you are mobbed by a Bandit Ambush. The variation in bandit types and individuals is VERY noticeable and it adds a lot to the game.

I was sort of sad to stop using it temporary in my current play through because I am trying out Skyrim Unleashed and OBIS's changes to the spawns & level list would totally wreck Skyrim Unleashed's balance big time.

• 1 month later...

Latest update introduces a MCM menu with spawn control settings, me like (getting kinda obsessed with spawns lately lol).

Version 1.503

EVERY bandit complete change in LVL list (All bandits hit from lvl 1 - 60)

Added in MCM Menu

Added in Fire Warlock Bandits (72 new NPCs)

Posted Image

Edit: uhh I didn't update this for a few weeks, maybe it has been in longer :p

Considering that the two biggest complaints about Skyrim that I ever see are:

Guard dialogue (which there's a fix for :D)

Bandits. Bandits all over the place. The same ones. Endless amounts of them with no variety.

And that OBIS fixes that second issue... Yeah, OBIS is never leaving my absolute-must-have-or-I-ain't-playin' mod list.

I know STEP has some weird superstition about anything that says or insinuates "add" but it'd be pretty dumb of us to not consider this mod. I've had it running for a looong time with no issues related to it directly. Aside from fun. I had fun using it. I know that's a shunned thing as well with some STEP member... :P

So I see Garfink had to choose between Skyrim Unleashed and OBIS, I'm wondering (read: hoping) if you have perchance been able to resolve any conflicts therein?  The problem for me is that I REALLY want to use Skyrim Unleashed, and I REALLY REALLY want to use OBIS...

I think this mod is a great idea, and many of its features should have been a part of vanilla, but...

It wasn't. The biggest problem I have with mods like this is that there is nothing in the game to support them. It doesn't make sense for guards and other factions not to distinguish between bandits if the bandits are so obviously distinguishable. Mods like this are wonderfully made and very cool, but they stick out like a sore thumb in every play through. You are pretty much always aware that you are playing a mod. When a mod tries to improve upon something that always existed in vanilla I think that is the wrong approach. 

"Bandits" is not a gang name, it's a generic term for a group of people in a gang/gangs. To the guards they are all the same, but in reality there are many different rhymes and reasons to be a "Bandit" and one would assume, rivalries between them. It doesn't ever stick out to me, guess everyone has a different view. :)

The bandit factions is the coolest part about this mod. Its also the reason I don't think I will personally use it. If bandits have factions it only makes sense that the larger world would be aware of those factions, if not that guards than at least someone the player character interacts with in the world.

But lore consistency stuff is one of my top concerns in modding. Its not that way for everybody else of course.

The way I justify OBIS (lore-wise anyway) is that Skyrim has been fighting a civil war and now dragons, hence, the guards and military forces don't have time nor resources to keep the various bandit factions under control.  So a whole bunch of new ones have been springing up and most people don't know anything about them other than that they are trying to kill you and take your stuff.  This lack of knowledge doesn't change the fact that each bandit group or "gang" still has its unique identity and equipment.  If anything, I think this mod makes the game world a bit more believable, and definitely more fun.

Lets take a real-world version of what the dragonborn is at heart: an adventurer. Basically, someone who walks and knows the streets because otherwise they'd meet a swift end.

You may not be able to tell who is a Crip or Blood by their face. But there's plenty of signs which can tell you who they're for.

That's covered by this mod. There's still bandits who's loyalty is unknown. Take the Addled Bandits for instance. There's obviously something wrong with them as they move fast and attack erratically. Once they're dead, you usually find that they have a major drug problem going on.

But lets say you run up against a bandit who is part of a bandit faction. Their shield generally states who they're for. Just like how a "real world adventurer" should know that some dude in a bad part of town wearing blue is a Crip.

To the general populace, they're all just lumped in the same moniker as "Gang members." But police do keep track of that stuff. Just because guards don't openly talk about the factions doesn't mean there's no distinction. Not everything has to be directly referred to. Police don't just come up to you in real life and start chatting about this drug bust they're about to do, do they? People don't come up to you and start talking about this affair they're having, do they? So why does there even need to be a public distinction between bandit factions? All they know is that those ******s exist and cause problems. They don't typically go out into the world seeking adventure. But the dragonborn does.

Also, lets not allow Skyrim's inherent faults (generally related to game engine limitations, time constraints, and various other factors) determine what we see as lore. Because there's plenty about Skyrim which is very unfriendly to lore.