Ultimate Lighting Overhaul

kuroyume87

Yeah, I just tried standalone Ultra ULO and Im very impressed. I think Im sold.

As for pairing it, the only option on that list I think Id like is level3 dark CoT (realistic lights generally mean not enough lighting for me) - however last time I used it last year, there were a couple of bugged weather effects that made super dark nights appear, essentially ignoring the 'lighter nights' option and breaking consistency. Ill have to do some research to see if thats still broke in 3.1.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SweetFX cannot alter any ingame settings, it can only manipulate the last frame that is rendered by the game. All lighting, shadows, imagespace modifiers, etc etc. are only touched by the game.

This is the main reason why I find that the description page of the mod could be better. SweetFX and ENB´s only have one thing in common, and a lot of others where they are different. Sadly people only look at the end result, and think they do the same thing, but with different performance impacts.

If you have dark dungeons then they will still be dark with this, unless there is a very strong brightness modifier, or altered gamma value.

Edit: CoT still have some nights that are darker then others. For example all nights with Auroras are brighter then ones without. If you want to see one of the darker nights then the weather ID code is XXX58149 where XXX depends on your mod install order etc. for me they are 070, before they where 020... at least there only are ten combinations to try out and it is fairly quick to do.

Thanks for the infos. I checked out the weather differences and its negligible. Whatever bug I used to have that made the rainy nights pitch black is gone. The aurora thing is fairly minor IMO; CoT+ULO seems like a great combo for me.

SweetFX cannot alter any ingame settings, it can only manipulate the last frame that is rendered by the game. All lighting, shadows, imagespace modifiers, etc etc. are only touched by the game.

This is the main reason why I find that the description page of the mod could be better. SweetFX and ENB´s only have one thing in common, and a lot of others where they are different. Sadly people only look at the end result, and think they do the same thing, but with different performance impacts.

Couldn't agree more. And to call this a "lighting" mod is a complete misnomer. It touches exactly 0 lights. It is not a lighting mod/overhaul. Nothing more than a graphics mod/sweetfx profile. Like you said though, most people only look at results and don't realize that "same" results != same mechanism

Couldn't agree more. And to call this a "lighting" mod is a complete misnomer. It touches exactly 0 lights. It is not a lighting mod/overhaul. Nothing more than a graphics mod/sweetfx profile. Like you said though, most people only look at results and don't realize that "same" results != same mechanism

And?

Do you really think the majority of people care about the semantics as long as their game looks better while still being playable? The name is to grab peoples attention... nothing more.

ULO is cheap, dirty and effective. Its dunken donuts coffee when everyone else has decided to only serve starbucks. Not everyone wants an $8 cup of gourmet coffee... sometimes you just want a cup of jo' on the go that's a little better than the crap you have sitting at home that you don't have to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford. 

ENB still exists. All of the ENB profiles still exist. If people want a more purist shader suite there are quite literally hundreds of options available to them. Sadly not everyone has a GTX 680... 2 SSD's and a 4.5GHz 3770k. Some people play Skyrim on their shitty laptops or 5 year old Desktops that were mid range when they bought them. Why should those people not have nice things as well? When did modding become an elitist sport only for the privileged few?

lol. i wasnt bashing you bro, but im just telling it like i see it. it really has little to do with you (although you may actually perpetuate people's ignorance) and more with how people are misinformed, uneducated in skyrim modding mechanics, and/or only concerned with results and not how the results are achieved. But, I digress..

PS - Ive already given you the appropriate and deserved accolades for your hard work, both here and on the nexus, long before this discussion on mod titles and misnomers ;)

lol. i wasnt bashing you bro' date=' but im just telling it like i see it. it really has little to do with you (although you may actually perpetuate people's ignorance) and more with how people are misinformed, uneducated in skyrim modding mechanics, and/or only concerned with results and not how the results are achieved. [/quote']

Nor I you. I am simply making a counter point.

Mods are a selfless service done for the betterment of the many. Not a singular artform refined to perfection only to be appreciated by the few. Joe Public shouldn't have to be concerned with the ins and out of Skyrims engine mechanics. Joe Public should be able to drag, drop and enjoy their Video Game. 

Everything else is masturbation.

ULO Updated to version 1.3.1. No major aesthetics were changed but DPX and sharpen have been removed in favor of enhanced HDR. This causes the image to "pop" more while lowering performance usage.

Sharpen was removed as it was causing too much damage to AA and shadows, and the increase of AA required to compensate was not worth the minor visual enhancement of the sharpen effect.

Check out the comparison screenshots:

CoT + RLO + ULO Disabled

https://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/37846-1-1373914820.jpg

https://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/37846-1-1374351641.jpg

https://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/37846-2-1374351642.jpg

Semantics gotta love it. ;)

I think the main issue is that you just need to add/change a few lines on your description and then let that be that. Like specifying that no lights are altered, only their appearance. But again that is just what I would do. You already have massive amounts of exposure and hits, and there is a market for what you have done as you say.

Nice new additions you have made too btw. Even though the sharpen effect really depends on which textures you use. Some textures (packs) are just not really benefiting from it at all since they do not have a look that benefits.

I installed it on my friends computer since ENB for some strange reason does not like his setup, and he is quite satisfied. Keep up the good work!