aMidianBorn Roads and Bridges by CaBaL

statmonster

I like the main idea and the direction that he's taking with the road01snow textures... i mean, in real life you would expect a lot of traffic on these common roadways, traffic that tends to turn the ice and snow into a sort of gray and white sludge.. it seems to me that this is the effect he was going for and, while I hadnt ever considered such an idea before, I actually do like it.

I still havent gotten around to testing with the updated snow and dirt textures. I already use a mish-mosh of 3 different landscape texture packs, so if i like the way this looks and I can find a reasonable way of integrating it into my current setup, I may just use this instead of my current selections. We'll see how it develops.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snow only turns into sludge if it is ready to melt, and that needs salt(or whatever they toss on the roads to keep ice off the highways) or warmn temperature if it's cold enough snow just gets stomped tighter and tighter. Eventualy these layers of tightly packed snow will turn into something that looks like white ice (or any solid pile of snow). The road is actualy pretty solid by then, and stays that way untill someting really warms it up.

oh brother. sure, depending on a million different variables, there are equally as many scenarios. However, (most) snow melts, eventually, at some point. Melted snow-sludge on the road and roadside exists, yes? The point is, out of all the textures released for road snow, all of them have pristine white snow about them, and i merely found it refreshing to see something like this that took a step outside the "norm" and tried something different.. something that makes sense (to me) in real life.

Best option would be to have the snow texture "turn sludgy" when you leave a cold area to somewhere warmer (where there is no snow)

that would definitely be cool. Something like that could definitely be done as a mod. Ill add that to my long list of potential mods to make sometime in the future :)

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i think he added the snow textures a little while back like a week or so ago. wonder if he'll do all the other landscape textures. would be nice if he did and i liked them all. as of yet there isnt a single landscape texture pack that i like in its entirety. I currently use parts of SeriousHD, SkyrimHD2K (but 1k version), Real Ice and Snow (RIS) Dark (of which i only use snow and snow roads), and Better Landscape Skyrim (of which i use a few random ones - pineforest01 for example). So yeah, it would definitely be killer to have a pack with everything that is good work and suits my taste ;)

The other mod Cabal recommended, Skyrim Realistic Textures Overhaul, just came out with a dirt update and they look really good from the photorealism perspective. I might try those out with these tonight if I feel up to it, we'll have to see how much this heat takes out of me. F**k the Southwest.