Another Sleep Mod by LP1

Trexasle

Why another sleep mod?

A: There are a couple of sleep mods already available on the Nexus, but this one works a bit differently. Both of those earlier mods made great strides, and they work well for many users. However, some users (including me) have had trouble with them. This mod takes a slightly different approach, and in my experience so far, it works more reliably. It also has a low script load.

Will I get the notorious Eyes-Stuck-Shut Bug with this mod?

A: No, this mod handles opening the player's eyes when getting out of bed so long as you have the most recent version of SKSE installed.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37988//?

I'll probably test it out later, but it seems we FINALLY have our fix!

Hi, rootsrat.  Thanks for giving me a push to finally check out the STEP forums, which I've been meaning to do for a while.  Also, I must say, living here in NYC, the "bugged beds" pun was not so funny.  (Okay, I admit, it was.)  :D

Keeping this mod as as it is right now (fix&basic) seems a good idea. You can include your other planned features in either a expanded version or as optionals.

Agreed. Keep it simple and offer extended features as optionals. :thumbsup:

I'm planning on DL'ing this mod and using it at some point, I like the immersion, speaking of which:

This isn't a request for the mod to be made if one doesn't exist, but does anyone know of a sleep mod that controls the NPC's so they stick to their routines? I find it kinda' immersion breaking to turn up to a town at 3 in the morning to find everyone still wandering around and playing as a vamp can be hard work looking finding a ready meal. I'd love to see a mod that extends this idea to bandit camps, that manages to put most of the bandits to sleep in the early hours of the morning too.

Anyone know of such a mod anywhere?

Thanks.

vestan,

If I understand you correctly, what you're describing is a matter of how the game engine works when evaluating each NPC's AI packages. With very few exceptions (only SKSE and ENB, that I can think of), no mod really changes or adds to the Skyrim engine. We just do what we can within the engine (which is a lot, but not eveything).

The way the engine works wrt NPC artificial intelligence (AI packages):

1) Each NPC is placed in a specific location. Whether a vanilla NPC or from a mod, every single NPC has a specific location where they stand when the game is first loaded. When you first enter an area, this is where they will be.

2) The NPC AI checks the instructions that have been added to the NPC (the packages) to evaluate what to do next. For example, instructions may say "at 10PM, go to sleep in your own bed in your house for 8 hours." So, that is what the NPC will do.

3) HOWEVER, the NPC has to get there... And that is probably what you're noticing. If you stand in front of the NPC's bed and wait (real time) until their sleep time comes, they will sleep normally. If you use the wait function to the middle of their sleep time, they will not magically be in bed at the end of it. When you use the wait menu to go to 2AM, they will then realize it and go to bed at that time.

So you will probably notice a lot of people shuffling around after waiting via the wait menu and when entering areas.

vestan,

If I understand you correctly, what you're describing is a matter of how the game engine works when evaluating each NPC's AI packages. With very few exceptions (only SKSE and ENB, that I can think of), no mod really changes or adds to the Skyrim engine. We just do what we can within the engine (which is a lot, but not eveything).

The way the engine works wrt NPC artificial intelligence (AI packages):

1) Each NPC is placed in a specific location. Whether a vanilla NPC or from a mod, every single NPC has a specific location where they stand when the game is first loaded. When you first enter an area, this is where they will be.

2) The NPC AI checks the instructions that have been added to the NPC (the packages) to evaluate what to do next. For example, instructions may say "at 10PM, go to sleep in your own bed in your house for 8 hours." So, that is what the NPC will do.

3) HOWEVER, the NPC has to get there... And that is probably what you're noticing. If you stand in front of the NPC's bed and wait (real time) until their sleep time comes, they will sleep normally. If you use the wait function to the middle of their sleep time, they will not magically be in bed at the end of it. When you use the wait menu to go to 2AM, they will then realize it and go to bed at that time.

So you will probably notice a lot of people shuffling around after waiting via the wait menu and when entering areas.

As you've stated, with the programming for the AI already in place I believed (probably incorrectly .. lol) that perhaps it would have been a simple fix. I didn't know that all npc's are loaded when you start the game, I thought they were cell dependant. I thought perhaps a function of the AI to ensure the npc is in the correct location at any given time upon entering a cell was what was originally intended in game, as you enter a cell or fast travel the game engine reads the cell you are about to enter and quickly sorts the npc's into their relevant positions, and if that means bed then bed it is, not having a fixed location and have them move to their time dependant/designated location upon entering the cell. I do understand that upon entering cities for the first time you do run into instances being played out (attack in the market of Markarth, someone getting the chop etc.) and these instances may have thrown what was originally intended regarding locations of npc's being in bed, and would probably prove to be too complex for a work around for any potential mods that ensured empty streets upon entering a cell.

So I guess I won't be seeing a mod that covers this anytime ever, but thanks for the explanation.

Cheers LP.