Timing is Everything (by kryptopyr)

vfxninjaeditor

Discussion thread:

Timing is Everything - Quest Delay and Timing Control by kryptopyr

Wiki Link

This mod allows you to customize the starting conditions for various quests. You can choose to delay a quest until later or to have it start earlier than it normally would.

This is flippin brilliant. It currently only works with the start of Hearthfire, Dawnguard, Dragonborn, and many of the Daedric quests. I wish I had this before I started my new playthrough. I have only played 7+ hours and already have all the DLC quests...

• 1 month later...

I wish there were some so of "guide" to adjust all the quests.... When is the best and most fun time to do the Dawnbreaker quest for instance... that sort of thing.

Certainly would do well to be including in S.T.E.P. if someone comes up with an optimized setup.

• +1 1

You could use the earlier version of it before they messed with the dragons.

I uninstalled this because apart from the vampires being annoying & maybe having control of the start of the dragon born adventure, I don't know how best to set the other settings.

So I decided that this wasn't enough to install another mod with scripting.

I'm not sure there is a "best" or "optimized" setup. Really, the mod is just about giving options to adjust for personal preferences. Some people may want the vampire attacks to start early, others may want to delay them indefinitely. Also, it could vary based off of the type of character you are playing... for example, there may be quests that you would like to complete early if you are playing a warrior but not if you're playing a mage, or if you're playing as a honorable character you may want to avoid certain daedric quests, while a more villainous personality might want to actively seek out some of the powerful daedric artifacts early in the game. I don't think it's possible to make a guide for this mod that would fit the preferences or playstyle of a majority of players.

@Sairven

I'm not sure what dragon mods you're using, but I'm currently using this mod with Deadly Dragons and Dragon Combat Overhaul, and it's been working fine for me. Also, if you don't alter the dragon attack settings, they simply default to vanilla values. Otherwise, as Garfink said, you can always use an earlier version before the dragon attack options were added.

@Garfink

The only scripts this mod uses are those that control the MCM options, and the only time they run is once on game load and when you open the MCM menu. There are no OnUpdate functions, no scripts are applied to the player or NPCs, the scripts don't run constantly in the background or during combat, etc. Basically, yes, the mod does use two scripts, but they aren't of the type that would add to the script burden on the game.

• 4 months later...

Judging from the comments posted on this mod's Nexus page, it appears that many people using this mod end up triggering one or more of the DLC quests at the default time even though they use this mod AND have set it to delay the DLC quests. There are also people reporting that the patch file for Run for Your Lives is broken.

Can anyone confirm? Has anyone used this mod and SUCCESSFULLY managed to delay the DLC quests?

I'd be happy to test this, but until there's a response about compatibility with When Vampires Attack (same thing as Run for Your Lives, but with Vampires) I can't.

EDIT: My really rudimentary knowledge of TES5Edit shows no conflict. If anybody who actually knows what they're doing with it wants to chime in, I'd feel better though. ;)

EDIT: Testing on a new game. We'll see how it goes. Nothing like Immersive Patrols that could add werewolves or vampires and confuse the issue.