Script thread hogs

Kudara

Question

I've run into an issue with too many script heavy mods running...and I do have quite a few.  My issue is how do I figure out which mods are using the most scripts so I can figure out which ones I can do without and which are necessary.

SkyRe, Better Vampires, Moonlight Tales, Deadly Dragons, Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases, Hunterborn and Climates of Tamriel are core mods for me, now what I added in this last time that seem to have tipped over the camel are Player Headtracking, the Run for your Lives mods, the Unknown Enchants, Ultimate Follower Overhaul, Wet and Cold (i suspect this is the main culprit), Enhanced Lights and FX (is that script intensive?), Dwemerverse (not sure if this is script intensive..)

Part of my problem is of course figuring out which mods are script intensive before I just start getting rid of mods in a blind attempt to lighten the script load for Frostfall.

Also does anyone know how to get rid of Player Headtracking?  I tried uninstalling it but that corrupted my save game and I had to reinstall it.

I downloaded BSAopt since I use Wrye Bash as my mod organizer. phazer11 do you know how papyrus runs? does it assign a thread to each script in the game or just assigns a thread when the script is initialized? I suspect Hunting in Skyrim might actually be the issue as it has a huge number of scripts in it but if those scripts aren't active/assigned a thread then they shouldn't be an issue.

Well I would imagine Hunterborn is the problem as it's the only one I don't use for my own install. I really can't stress how useful Mod Organizer is especially when you have WB as an executable to run so you have the bashed patches.

But no I do not know the intricacies of Papyrus and am too busy with HW, Classwork, setuping my Mod Testing Profiles and yard work to look through the documentation from Bethesda.

Doesn't Conskrybe do something like that? Idk I'll try to look into it between test runs and my screenplay and see if maybe STATUS has it. I'll also message MannyGT on nexus and here to see if he could incorporate something into STATUS.

STATUS, what a great simple mod it is, so very useful. ive never seen anyone mention it on here, i thought it was my own little secret, haha

Yeah I find a lot of interesting and useful mods like that by browsing the profiles of the more popular mod authors, like mannygt.

Anyways back on topic, yeah it would be cool to see if something could be written into STATUS that could help for situations like this. It may be too complex

I used STATUS for a long time now... just essential when you are making ENB´s and getting weird weathers... since it is one of the only tools to provide the weather ID codes ingame! :)

But as for the general issue. All mods that add scripts have a potential to hog. We still have not had enough decent play-throughs from the mod testers to see how big of an issue the script cleaning process has on the longer games. I know some people have reported that their games gets bogged down and eventually their saves get bloated etc. as they progress.

Most mods should be able to clean up after themselves, but I guess there might also a general problem with the Papyrus engine. For example if you save your game in the middle of a script that is running, load it again and it is then supposed to finish.. but does not for who knows what reason. (This is all speculation I have not actually made any detailed investigations into this. )

I suspect just like in most software development it takes patience and know how to really clean up your programming and make sure it finishes cleanly. How many programs these days have memory leaks which is a sign of just that type of problem. I'm making a fresh install as this is really bugging me and going to try the new Skyrim Performance Monitor on Nexus which has a thread monitoring function.

I'll stop at the textures, general fixes and UI elements and see where I am performance wise and then start adding in the suspected script hogs and see how things go.

I used STATUS for a long time now... just essential when you are making ENB´s and getting weird weathers... since it is one of the only tools to provide the weather ID codes ingame! :)

for some reason that function has never worked for me..and its one of the most important since i do a lot of weather editing for personal use. currently ive gotten pretty good at guessing the weather, then i just do 'getweather [weatherID]' in console to confirm, or if im wrong then i usually can get it in a few tries. Still a hassle though. Maybe ill PM manny and troubleshoot

EDIT: Nevermind I guess it resolved itself. I hadnt checked it for quite a while because i thought it was non-functional, but i guess i must have inadvertently fixed whatever was wrong.

Alright, that only took about forever, I've finally got my Skyrim Revisited Basic done and started a new game with it while Performance Monitor ran in the background. The only script intensive mod running that I know of is iHUD.

Basic is a relative term as I'm already running 132 mods...but I've left out every one that I thought would run a number of scripts. Mostly its a majority of of Revisited's Texture and Patch mods including Alternative Start so I could begin in Whiterun.

This is the data from running around in Whiterun.

Memory 21 MB

VRAM average 1891 MB Burst 3124 MB (Not quite sure that's accurate as I thought the game would crash it if ran that high? I'm running all 1024 texture options.)

Threads 2

No FPS data but I had absolutely no issues with stuttering or even a slow down in my panning speed.

Added in Rainbows and Minty's Lightening (using for the first time and really liking the lightening) and used the Lightening mod to force a thunderstorm.

Memory still 21 MB

VRAM average now 1950 MB with burst of 3221 MB

Threads still 2

Burst 3124 MB (Not quite sure that's accurate as I thought the game would crash it if ran that high? 

it varies from person to person. it also depends on the situation. sometimes i will crash with a burst of 3125mb and other times ive had it as high as 3175mb without a crash.  However, I have never had it at 3200 or greater without a guaranteed crash. 

On a different note, its funny that iHUD is being called script hog. Is it actually using a lot of resources and adding significantly to the script latency, or does it just have "a lot" of script files included in the mod?

@OP I'm still looking for a way to do what you asked so till then I don't think it's possible.

the only thing ive been able to think of is this: TES5Edit has a script you can run on any ESP/ESM you have loaded in the program that will basically create a report of all the records that have scripts attached to them. it will then dump this report into a file somewhere in your TES5Edit directory and you can open it up and do a search for the name of a script of interest to see how many different records, and which ones, are using that script. This way you might be able to better monitor its use. However, there is nothing quantitative about this approach.  Well, you could at least see how many scripts are being used by each mod and how many instances there are of each use.  Nonetheless, it is actually a pretty interesting report to look at so i think it does have some value, even though it may not be exactly what you're looking for.

Bleh the thread value in Performance Meter isn't rising...something which I suspected it might not as it's actually measuring the usage of the Skyrim program usage and not really that of the number of script threads running in the program. That means I'm back to square one in some respects thought I do have a nice rebuild out of the deal and am using Mod Organizer for the first time.

Oh and I wasn't implying that iHUD was a thread hog I was just mentioning it because I knew it had scripts running in it.