Alternate Start - Live Another Life by Arthmoor

youtoo

You could try one of the faction disguise mods.  Off-hand, I'm not sure which one to recommend, but I know there are one or two that I've tried in the past that add and remove you from factions depending on your equipped clothing.  I never cared much for these mods, as I felt that being treated as a full member of a faction went beyond what I considered a proper "disguise" mechanic, but for your purposes it might actually work pretty well.

You can also use the console to add/remove your character from the faction, but I imagine that will get pretty tedious when moving between Forsworn camps and cities.  You'd have to be constantly changing it or else getting attacked by one faction or the other.

I do use Master of Disguise by fireundubh (which works great within it's scope, and in my case more for interactions with city folk, I have to change out of my native garb if I want to go town and into a disguise if I want to avoid arrest in the Reach because of the bounty. However, the disguise mechanic doesn't work if you want to use a Redoubt as a home or base, discovery occurs due to proximity or time, which is inevitable.

Ideally what I'm looking for is a durable Forsworn faction assignment that I can mitigate through disguise in the Reach cities and towns (assuming the rest of Skyrim isn't hostile to Forsworn as well, that would make obtaining quest objectives problematic as disguise isn't going to hold up in the long term).  

Yeah, Master of Disguise is set up with a much better disguise mechanic than some of the other similar mods.  Perhaps fireundubh would consider adding an optional feature that would grant permanent faction membership in some of the factions that aren't normally joinable, but still allowing the disguise feature to work as you suggest to hide that allegiance from other factions in the game.  I'd think it'd be a nice option to have and would probably fall within the scope of that mod. 

• +1 1

You could always go ahead and make a forsworn faction mod with its own quests and subplots! (A mod series that allows you to join the dark side and fight the good guys generally speaking! Now that would be interesting!) Sounds like that is more what you are looking for rather then an alternative starting location... which was part of the reason why I do not like the mod... yes you get to start elsewhere, but there is no depth or relevance to the larger story.. hence it just feels like a more advanced version of just doing ... coc from the main menu to skip the intro ride. 

On a side note then as a temp solution then it should be possible to make a quick patch that provides you permanent inclusion into said faction... would probably not be very immersive, but it should be easy to do. 

You could always go ahead and make a forsworn faction mod with its own quests and subplots! Sounds like that is more what you are looking for rather then an alternative starting location... which was part of the reason why I do not like the mod... yes you get to start elsewhere, but there is no depth or relevance to the larger story.. hence it just feels like a more advanced version of just doing ... coc from the main menu to skip the intro ride. 

Exactly my thoughts about it, now I just use it as a work around for not having to go through the cart ride, fancy coc with a few fixes, that if I just did coc, to issues it can create. But that idea for faction mod with quests and subplots really peaks my interest. I am going to look into this, but I got another faction in mind.

Yeah, Master of Disguise is set up with a much better disguise mechanic than some of the other similar mods.

...in the sense that I actually implemented a disguise mechanic

I learned from Oblivion to always stay away from this kind of mods.

If you use SkyRe or Requiem or Civil War Overhaul, you're not doing a good job at that!Master of Disguise takes disguises to the next level by layering a detection system over them. This means that your cover can be blown—in the depths of Northwatch Keep and you'll have to fight your way out. You don't have a 100% chance to be undetected. That chance is, in fact, capped; and there are a number of factors, including your skill in Sneak or Illusion, racial bonuses and penalties, mobility bonuses and penalties, how much of a disguise you're wearing, your distance to a detecting NPC, and that NPC's line of sight to you, that determine your chance to remain undetected.Master of Disguise goes way beyond what every other disguise mod, disguise feature, and game that features disguises has done. I just don't get credit because the system is so subtle. There are no visible cones of vision, no exclamation marks above suspicious NPCs, etc. Staying undetected means using common sense and being discovered means having to deal with the consequences, but you can run away—and if you're fast enough and run far enough, your pursuers will give up the chase and you'll be free to try again. 

On a side note then as a temp solution then it should be possible to make a quick patch that provides you permanent inclusion into said faction... would probably not be very immersive, but it should be easy to do.

That won't work with Master of Disguise unless you alter and recompile the disguise script. Master of Disguise temporarily removes you from the vanilla Forsworn faction if you're in that faction. This was done to close an exploit made possible by an older version of Alternate Start as well as the Madanach rescue quest. 

Well put. I think I'll paraphrase you in request on his/its Nexus comments.

I replied in the Nexus comments. Edited by fireundubh
  • +1 1

Well the point was to make sure he did not get removed from the faction... I assume your thingy only removes the player from factions when you are in disguise. Hence a simple patch that make sure he is always in the fraction would not interfere. Unless I misunderstood something... 

Well the point was to make sure he did not get removed from the faction... I assume your thingy only removes the player from factions when you are in disguise. Hence a simple patch that make sure he is always in the fraction would not interfere. Unless I misunderstood something...

If he added himself to the vanilla Forsworn faction, wearing a Forsworn disguise would remove him from the vanilla Forsworn faction while in disguise, which means that the detection system would take over and he'd be back to where he started. Redirishlord wants to be treated by the Forsworn, while dressed as Forsworn, as a real member of the Forsworn instead of as the player masquerading as Forsworn, which is the default behavior. I'm probably going to add a "bounty bonus" where, if the bounty is above some threshold, the bonus would break the identity score cap and circumvent the detection system altogether, thereby providing at least the illusion of Forsworn membership. And so ends the lesson on how to say "Forsworn" more than Forsworn. Edited by fireundubh
  • +1 1

"I'm probably going to add a "bounty bonus" where, if the bounty is above some threshold, the bonus would break the identity score cap and circumvent the detection system altogether, thereby providing at least the illusion of Forsworn membership."

This should theoretically suit AS-LAL Forsworn Native start perfectly as you begin with a 2000 septim bounty in the Reach by default.

But if you go to Markarth, go to jail, and/or have your bounty removed, aren't you right back where you started?  If a bounty is what negates the detection script, then you won't be able to go back and forth between the cities and the Forsworn camps unless you first incur another bounty.

But if you go to Markarth, go to jail, and/or have your bounty removed, aren't you right back where you started?  If a bounty is what negates the detection script, then you won't be able to go back and forth between the cities and the Forsworn camps unless you first incur another bounty.

Right. I'm okay with this. If you're a real member of the Forsworn, you should be out in The Reach, paying your dues with the blood of your enemies.'The alternative would be to create a few unique achievements, including one that counts how many Nords you've slain, and then use that number instead of a bounty. But bounties have a "known" factor to them. If you have a high bounty, you're "known" around a hold as an evildoer, and if you're decked out in Forsworn gear, the Forsworn aren't going to look twice. Edited by fireundubh

After further testing, and a post from Arthmoor on his AS-LAL comments, it appears that my issue with Druadach Forsworn Faction hostilities was due to entering detection range before the AS-LAL was able to place me in the correct faction. If I fast travel to the Druadach Redoubt map marker I am attacked, if I fast travel to the Druadach Dwemer Rubble nearby and walk up to the Druadach sentries all is well (this was after a quick trip to Riverwood Traders, so leaving the Druadach area and returning is "safe" ). Now that that is sorted I'll disable fast travel through BFT Carriages & Ships and play on.

Edited by redirishlord