Helgen Reborn

7hr08ik

Question

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35841/?

It looks like a really good mod.....I instantly thought of Kvatch Rebuilt when i saw it.

But looking at the decription, it seems like the guy has made a good quality mod, but my issue is that you can`t start a new game with it installed. He says it causes issues.

My question, Is there any way to edit this mod, or a better option, create a patch that will only start helgen reborns questlines etc, when you get to a certain point...Perhaps after you`ve killed the first dragon in the main story questline.....That way theres no need to install the mod halfway into a game to avoid glitches.

I figure it must be possible coz AS-LAL edits the main questlines somewhat. And this mod would a be a great addition to any game.

Well, the mod author suggest waiting atleast 4 days after leaving helgen, to make sure the bandits have taken over the place, and that LAL has the triggers correct.

So im thinking, setup an override patch, to delay launch of the initial Helgen Reborn quest. But as i have no idea how to do that im just gonna be playing. Im thinking make it wait 5 days after the first quest has been completed (to give the game a while to settle in and make sure that helgen has been taken over by the bandits)

Just gotta figure out how to do that

Maybe setting it to start at level 15?

By lvl 15 theres a damn good chance 5 days will have passed, and it kinda works too coz the author recommends starting the quests at about lvl 20.

Anyone know how to do this? I dont have a clue and im just gonna be messing with CK untill i figure it out

Could be a plan.

As an honorary member of the GoogleFu school of ninjas, i`ve been looking and found a tut on creating a Quest that starts with a Courier delivering you a note. Kinda bored right now, so gonna give that a go...Try make a patch to overide the Helgen Rebuilt starting with a Courier that finds you at lvl 15 to give you a note, asking if you can help......blah blah....and then begins the quest for ya. Possibly re-write the text for the first quest to make it fit...If i cant figure it out, i`ll give her a shout. Maybe see how she does her mod

I haven't actually looked at Helgen Reborn in the CK, so I'm not sure how it is currently set up to run.  I assume it probably uses multiple quests, but if it uses a single controlling quest that starts when game is enabled, and through which the other quests are triggered, then the easiest thing would probably be to take this quest and trigger it off of an event node. You could use the Increase Level or the Change Location event. Create a new node to trigger the quest, then add your conditions onto the node. For example, you might want to use a condition for number of game days passed, or after a certain stage of the main quest is completed, or use a minimum player level.

The conditions that are placed on the event nodes are the majority of the changes that I made in Timing is Everything, so you could certainly look at that if you want some guidance.  Let me know if you have any questions.

First of all......meh?!?!?! LOL

Yeah, HR has a single starting quest, it give you a quest to read a book, then after reading the book it all follows on from there.

But as i said, the author says, to only load the esp AFTER the bandits have taken (4 days) over helgen, and LAL 2nd boulder drop has occured in the caves. He recommends lvl 20 so my thought was to edit the starting peramiters so it begins at lvl 15. This way your closer to the target lvl, and 99% certain you`ll have passed the 4 day mark. Only thing is, if your playing LAL, theres a possibility you could hit lvl 15 without touching the main questline. Would it be possible to set it to start, at lvl 15 ONLY if youve completed the first few main quests? Im thinking, condition it to be activated after completion of Dragon Rising but only if at lvl 15.

This is why i was thinking a courier could work. Set the courier to find you after completing the Dragon Rising quest aslong as your lvl 15. PLus it make a bit more sense rather than suddenly getting a book in your pocket to read, and having a quest, you get a note from helgen asking for help

You can use this on a new game if you are using Alternate Life - Live Another Life, just so long as you don't want to do the cart ride. All of the other starts should be fine.

The cart ride used to work just fine when started through LAL, but a recent update to Helgen Reborn seems to have changed that. Or a change in USKP v.1.3.3 that, paired with Helgen Reborn and LAL, prevents the cart sequence from working. I tried just the Unofficial Patches, LAL and Helgen Reborn to rule out all other mods and it only ever broke with Helgen Reborn active.

Yeah i figured as much. But with the patch im thinking of, there should be no problem at all. Plus it will add some continuity to the mod, by it starting with a note from helgen asking for help, and being set to start a while after the game begins.

Otherwise you have a mod that instantly begins rebuiding a town that was obliterated by a dragon attack. Which is a bit wrong IMHO.

You can use all of those conditions on an event node. For example, you could have the conditions be:

GetGlobalValue GameDaysPassed >= 4 AND

PlayerLevel >= 15 AND

GetStageComplete {quest} >= {stage}

You could use a courier as well, but you'd still end up using the same set of conditions. I haven't really studied the way the courier is set up, but if I remember right, I think you may still end up using an event node, but using a courier is certainly a valid approach. I was just recommending the event node because I think it would be the simplest solution.

Oh i have no doubt it would be the simplest. But i figure whle im doing this, i might as well add something to give a reason for why you suddenly gained this book, and quest at lvl 15. Thanks for the node bits. Im just in the process of setting up the courier now.

Ive found a tutorial for setting up a 3 stage courier quest. So my plan

-Get courier to find me, at lvl 15 only if Dragon rising has been completed.

-Read note saying "Someone is looking for me, with great urgency. Please goto The Drunken Huntsman and wait for him to find you"

-Set quest marker for a chair and once sat down quest completes

-First quest of HR starts, given the book, and everything carries on from there.

Sounds like a plan. :)

If you want to add the ability for players to customize the level requirement, then you would simply create a new Global Variable, set it to 15 (or whatever you want your default to be), and make sure it is not constant.

Then instead of PlayerLevel >= 15, you would use PlayerLevel >= NewGlobalVariable.

Users could then customize the level by changing the global variable in the console. Not necessary, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Thats pretty kool. I might just do that...

I was thinking lvl 15 coz mod author recommends lvl 20 due to the combat etc, etc. lvl 10 might be better as default setting, but i like that. Let ppl set their own. It would still only activate, after the dragon rising, and 4 days passed though yeah?

Thinking about it lvl, days, and quest completion requirement could be too much......

If i just go with days passed and quest completed....i could use the greybeards quest. And have my initial note saying something like... "OMG asif its really the dragonborn.....Asif you are actually like really here, and you seen the dragon at Helgen init bruv...Someone be lookin for ya, and they`re gonna be heading to the drunken huntsman. Go there now or else"