Current state of SLI & Skyrim

craighl4

Question

@Neovalen

Once SR Legendary Edition is complete, I intend to go through the process of installing it. In the past I have used ENB's but found the frame rate hit too much to make them worth it.

In your opinion, does SLI work well with Skyrim and does it significantly improve performance when using ENB's?

I have also read that you need to enable 3DVision to fix some issues. Is this still the case?

I have a single GTX 670 2MB (will be using 1K textures) and a i3570K at 4.4Ghz. I can currently run Skyrim at 1920x1200 and maintain 50-60 FPS. I am considering the purchase of a second GTX 670.

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just an update for those kind folks who helped with my initial query...

I am currently assembling a water-cooled PC based on a 4770K and a (currently) single 780 Ti 3Gb and will be playing Skyrim at 1440p with ENB. I have the option in the near future to add a second 780 Ti 3Gb but I am still on the fence about whether to do this or not due to the reported Skyrim/SLI issues. Having seen how Skyrim looks at 1440p with an ENB I am certain that I want to play that way.

I expect (subject to the silicon lottery) that I will be able to get the 4770K up to around 4.5GHz or so on water and the 780 Ti has a full cover block too so can be overclocked by around 20%.

With the most recent ENB dlls (0.250+) what are your current opinions on either sticking with a single card but accepting lower frame rates over going for SLI but accepting the few residual issues (water flicker and no HDR)?

Cash is not a consideration here - just the Skyrim experience at 1440p with ENB.

Well, SLI will give you a performance boost for anything like AA or AO. If you don't mind water going mad if you are standing next to it or running through it, SLI will make you happy. Keep in mind that also reflections on water will go all shaky if you are running on the shoreline. HDR is a nice effect but won't break your immersion that much if it's missing, since if it is missing it's missing completely.

Old workarounds (enable stereoscopic 3D) are essentially only using one of your GFX, so the "workaround" doesn't actually work. More current fixes/workarounds are unknown to me.

Ah well, it looks like it will be a single card after all.

I was concerned whether one card would be able to keep up with an ENB at 1440p but I will load up the case with the full compliment of radiators and overclock the bejeezus out of it then.

Thanks folks - consider the issue closed.

Well Hodilton seems to be doing fine on that front with a single card, he's always stating that he gets an average of 50 FPS with most of the ENBs he showcases (at 1440p), and 2k textures. Not sure if he lowered any other settings to achieve that though.