SKSE error - [SOLVED]

daZza

Question

Hey folks,

got the new STEP up & running but when launching the game via SKSE it gives me an error: "Initialisation failed" is the heading of the little error window and the text is "game not found"

I tried both the current release and the beta build of SKSE. When closing the error message the game start though, however, I'm not sure, if SKSE is running. Anyway to check or any known solution for that problem?

PS: I made a fresh install of Skyrim before getting the new STEP. So there shouldnt be any incompatibilities.

I need to improve the SKSE section using the Wiki guide as refereance

Anyway, you have probably installed SKSE in the wrong place, here's the guide:

SKSE

(Skyrim Script Extender) an external program that exposes console

commands and the internal scripting language (Papyrus) to modders.

• Install by extracting the 7z file to your desktop, then copy and

paste the skse_loader.dll, skse_steam_loader.dll, and skse_1_5_26.dll

(version number will change according to the game version number it

supports) into your skyrim directory (alongside tesv.exe).

• Additionally copy the Scripts directory and paste it in the skyrim/data directory.
  • Create a new directory called SKSE in skyrim\Data\ and an

additional subdirectory in SKSE called plugins (skyrim\data\skse\plugins

is where all skse plugins must to installed to).

• Right-click, scroll down to "new" and make a new text document, open it and paste in
[interface]

EnableContainerCategorization=1

• file -> save as, "save as type" at bottom and select "all files", "file name" put: skse.ini, Hit save and close notepad

Nah I'm pretty sure I installed it in the right place and I also did the .ini file with that ContainerCategorization thing. The strange thing is, that I can play the game without any errors up till now. Even SkyUI is working and iirc it requires SKSE to work properly and shows you can error message if it isn't running.

edit: Just realized that skse has log files and looking at those I found this:

procPath = F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\\TESV.exe
launching: TESV.exe (F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\\TESV.exe)
Could it be, that this \\ at the end is the problem? I mean normally this path shouldnt even exist :D This might trigger that error message, but SKSE somehow manages to start the game anyway. Also found this in a log:

Smart Souls Initializing...
Initializing INI Manager
INI Path: Data\SKSE\Plugins\Smart Souls.ini
Souls Smartened Successfully!

So it seems to actually start the plugins it's supposed to load.

With the latest skse for patch 1.5.26 there is no longer a script folder included.

Additionally, there is new version up that contains some fixes for the most current patch, so maybe this may solve your problem. However it is still a WIP. Cant help to try though.

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I said in the OP I already tried both the stable and the newest beta build. I might just write the SKSE devs an email stating that problem... Maybe they know how to fix it

Your install is in the program files directory that is controlled by the windows UAC, you will need to right click both skse*.exe and set properties to always run as administrator. Same for TESV.exe, and any other addons or utilities you install there. I cover this issue extensively in the Installation guide.

Set those attributes and UAC is disabled of course. Problem was solved by SKSE Team now :) Never got such a fast support lol, response after 1 minute :D

The problem was the ModOrganizer Plugin for SKSE. This seems bug out SKSE currently and therefore it's recommended to just delete the plugin.

edit: However, this error does not interfere with the core functionality of SKSE. Thats why most of the stuff was running without problems.

I was! but i have been using WB for past month or so and just using MO to track mods as does it better than NMM as I can install mods without any files and change versions manually. Also, I am still on an older version of MO, ie pre new BOSS version.

Last night I deletd all the mod data from my MO mods (and the meta.ini file in each mod with the nexus info so then had to copy that back :( ) so now my MO is literally just a shell with nothing inside!

I haven't even looked at the MO forum for a few weeks.

So long story short, not me anymore