aMidianBorn Whiterun (by CaBaL)

EssArrBee

At this rate he will. I've also been finding a good number of textures in my SRO that are, for all intents and purposes, identical to vanilla/HRDLC. So yeah we could definitely use a replacement that is completely original textures (or at least the majority). He's been releasing a lot lately so I'd say within the next couple months we'll have a pretty solid foundation assuming the release rate stays about the same

I'd maybe like to see a couple more cities next, but Cabal should finish the BoS textures for Skyrim. I could see skipping the DLC to move on to something else for a while, I imagine that only working on weapons and armor is a grind this far down the road.

SRO was pretty much textures layered on top of the vanilla textures to make it appear that it was in the same style as the game, or as close to it as Starac could get.

I'd maybe like to see a couple more cities next' date=' but Cabal should finish the BoS textures for Skyrim. I could see skipping the DLC to move on to something else for a while, I imagine that only working on weapons and armor is a grind this far down the road.[/quote']

yeah there are definitely a few armors im still looking forward to from him. And seriously, i know this isnt a big priority for anyone, but ive been dying to get a retexture of the graybeard robes. Unfortunately nobody has touched them, and I dont see CaBaL doing any of the clothing/robes. (a few people have done 'dark' graybeard robes, but its nothing more than darkening/saturating in PS, which i can do myself). Haha yeah i bet weapons and armor can start to feel tedious and repetitious.

SRO was pretty much textures layered on top of the vanilla textures to make it appear that it was in the same style as the game, or as close to it as Starac could get.

interesting, i didnt know that. I bought skyrim when it came out, but I didnt stop playing/modding oblivion and switch to skyrim until january/february of this year .. and by the time i found SRO it was blacklisted. So ive never really known much about it, its origins or its author. 

But yeah some of the textures in the landscape section or dirt cliffs were seemingly identical to vanilla, and for some reason i used to think that most of his/her work was done from scratch or heavily modified from vanilla. guess i was wrong :)

I'd maybe like to see a couple more cities next' date=' but Cabal should finish the BoS textures for Skyrim. I could see skipping the DLC to move on to something else for a while' date=' I imagine that only working on weapons and armor is a grind this far down the road.[/quote'']

yeah there are definitely a few armors im still looking forward to from him. And seriously, i know this isnt a big priority for anyone, but ive been dying to get a retexture of the graybeard robes. Unfortunately nobody has touched them, and I dont see CaBaL doing any of the clothing/robes. (a few people have done 'dark' graybeard robes, but its nothing more than darkening/saturating in PS, which i can do myself). Haha yeah i bet weapons and armor can start to feel tedious and repetitious.

interesting, i didnt know that. I bought skyrim when it came out, but I didnt stop playing/modding oblivion and switch to skyrim until january/february of this year .. and by the time i found SRO it was blacklisted. So ive never really known much about it, its origins or its author. 

But yeah some of the textures in the landscape section or dirt cliffs were seemingly identical to vanilla, and for some reason i used to think that most of his/her work was done from scratch or heavily modified from vanilla. guess i was wrong :)

You could try asking Rafuel for a greybeard robes retex, but I haven't seen him around for a while. He had finished all the Dragonborn robes, the archmage, and was working on the mage's robes before disappearing. Not sure now if we will get anymore out of him, shame to cuz he did great work.

just for curiosity i re-downladed SRO from torrent yesterday...first time i used it did not hit my attention...what i guess is the latest release...with dawnguard 1.6 something like and took a closer look to textures in whiterun folder....damn.... are vanilla textures... all of them :/

no offense for noone but it's not even modded material or retextures stuff....now i understand why is so close to vanilla "spirit"....same files... just bigger... not a single specular changed.

why mod is not on nexus anymore btw? if i understand correctly author asked money for vanilla maps?

forget i'm going to replace sro anyway ...we're talking about different things....in different languages...in a different universe ... in a different dimension :)

before any misunderstandment.... i'm not throwing **** on SRO...is a huge work and clearly author put some effort in it...also it's not a "competitor" basicallly other modders compete with me...and often i do not even realize it....(i compete just for beer or girls or dogs.... not for mods)

is just that i saw many users pulling away their hair because SRO is not available on nexus... and honestly i cannot see the reason.... to make an identical mod...u need photoshop and a photoshop action for sharpening and resize... and time...that's all

this is pretty much what i was eluding to a few posts back.. as i started digging through the individual maps and comparing them to highres DLC and/or textures.bsa, they look to be the same exact textures. Now, this isnt true for all of it, but i did find a significant amount. im glad someone with credibility has backed me up :)

as to why its not on nexus anymore, i do not know exactly what happened. ive seen mods taken down or people banned from nexus for pissing off the wrong people in the forum chatter. but as far as i know, it was something a little more serious that caused SRO to be removed.

You could try asking Rafuel for a greybeard robes retex' date=' but I haven't seen him around for a while. He had finished all the Dragonborn robes, the archmage, and was working on the mage's robes before disappearing. Not sure now if we will get anymore out of him, shame to cuz he did great work.[/quote']

yeah i mean, the graybeard robes arent very important, but every time i go visit them or see one of them pop up on loading screen art, i cringe. If all i had to do was tweak the color and maybe add some cloth/weave/stitching texture to the color map, i could probably come up with something half way decent. but the graybeard robe is different than other robes in that the material isnt normal cloth.. it looks to be like some sort of scales or animal skin.. almost like a mini dragon skin or something. Adding that kind of texture is a little too advanced for my rudimentary photoshop skills. who knows, this could be the same reason it was skipped over by all of the large clothing retex packs (like elaborate textiles, improved NPC clothing, kobyashi 2x clothing remix, etc.). I sent message to a few modders including kobyashi but they either didnt reply or said that it was low on their priority list. It will get done the right way by someone. eventually :)

just for curiosity i re-downladed SRO from torrent yesterday...first time i used it did not hit my attention...what i guess is the latest release...with dawnguard 1.6 something like and took a closer look to textures in whiterun folder....damn.... are vanilla textures... all of them :/

no offense for noone but it's not even modded material or retextures stuff....now i understand why is so close to vanilla "spirit"....same files... just bigger... not a single specular changed.

why mod is not on nexus anymore btw? if i understand correctly author asked money for vanilla maps?

forget i'm going to replace sro anyway ...we're talking about different things....in different languages...in a different universe ... in a different dimension :)

before any misunderstandment.... i'm not throwing **** on SRO...is a huge work and clearly author put some effort in it...also it's not a "competitor" basicallly other modders compete with me...and often i do not even realize it....(i compete just for beer or girls or dogs.... not for mods)

is just that i saw many users pulling away their hair because SRO is not available on nexus... and honestly i cannot see the reason.... to make an identical mod...u need photoshop and a photoshop action for sharpening and resize... and time...that's all

You are the man. Go fix it!!! Time allowing.

*laughs*... so that's why SRO was able to look very vanilla. Still, it looks bloody great in-game... though Starac doesn't help with the vanilla texture comparison by leaving lots of them in. Oh, and why was it removed from the Nexus? Short version: Author had a squabble with the author of Texture Pack Combiner, ending with Starac taking down the mod and requesting donations for getting the mod again (obviously against the Nexus rules). I'm still wondering if it was a rage of anger or some form of gambit that made him do that. Probrally the former, since if I did want others to not be able to download my mod for whatever reason, I'd just hide it forever.

I never cared much for Skyrim Realistic Overhaul as has been said it's not much of an overhaul and it's bloody huge. I do think it does some of the landscape textures nice but apart from that I hate it especially the wood beams.

To really judge whether these textures are true to the intended feel of the game, I think everybody should first give a look to the orginal concept art for Whiterun. As Cabal himself pointed out on his mod's page, the city was intended to be a brown city covered with snow (which makes sense). In the game, it ended up being a tropical climate city with a uniform quicklime coating -.- Now to everybody it's own, but I personally feel Cabal's try is much more true to the general feel of the game. And that without comparing quality itself, as... well, that is pretty much self-explainatory. Now, if we were discussing to add "SEXY WHITERUN" to STEP, I would definitely object myself. THAT is an example of something FAR from the original feel of the city :D

The best part of SRO was the Dawnguard update and I really liked what Starac did with Markarth, but after using Cabal's textures quite a bit yesterday I'm ready to say that I like most it. I'm still not crazy about the stone path, to green, the buildings the that have the hey roofs could get a redo, and I'm still undecided about the stone stairs. I still want to see about those last 20 or so textures Cabal wants to upload, maybe that will help it look even better.