Dwemer Metal Retexture (by Langley)

WilliamImm

So I'm still waiting on confirmation on which to test' date=' I suppose I could do all of them but these packs are a pain. What texture sizes should we use?[/quote']

I was planning on testing this myself when I have the time. Though if you are up for it go right ahead ;)

For texture size- Keeping with base Step probably? 1024 that is. However, there is only one option and according to the author it is a mix of 1k/2k.

Comparison wise- We have the two different versions of course (clean/flat and rust/scratched). I'm not sure how well they want everything compared either. Would guess yes all of them Langley wise. STEP Wise... Compared with Vanilla/high-res DLC, and Skyrim HD only maybe? I do not think this is ground covered by any other mod in STEP. Not even the dungeon/ruin ones.

Yes, most of this stuff is not covered by in STEP mods. I'm thinking that we would use the rust/scratched version, mainly because of how long the metal would have been aged. Anyway, I'm working with Neovalen to test the newest version of Langely's, including looking at this mod.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the more red-brown tint to dwemer metal ... the original is too much like gold. Curious to know how close these colors are to Morrowind and Oblivion Dwemer versus Skyrim. That would be sufficient-enough a precedent for me to vote to adopt for STEP.

Anyone find some good testing locations? I seem to have lost my list over the course of filming my documentary which is quite annoying as I had a great number of locations and of course I don't remember any of them lmao.

You should make a documentary about the life of a Skyrim modding geek next :P

I don't have any locations memorized. I just use my old saves (many are posted on the MT forum).

I prefer the more red-brown tint to dwemer metal ... the original is too much like gold. Curious to know how close these colors are to Morrowind and Oblivion Dwemer versus Skyrim. That would be sufficient-enough a precedent for me to vote to adopt for STEP.

I have a slightly different perspective, especially for objects that are inorganic. For inorganic objects I think the color should be related to the real world as well as our understanding of TES lore since physics has a large role in determining color. I also agree it is good to compare shapes, colors, etc. to previous TES games as they help to establish precedent. At the same time I don't feel we should consider the digital artists from previous TES games to be necessarily "correct" when comparing with objects in Skyrim. There are even still arguments between those who far prefer many aspects of Morrowind and those liked Oblivion, including color. After the comment on dwemer metal I looked at some of the texture files in Morrowind for dwemer armor and weapons, and I found some of the vanilla textures (admittedly without looking at these in game) had a lot more intense colors than those in comparable objects in Skyrim. STEP users might not be very happy with these Morrowind objects.

That being said, I agree with the comment about preferring a non-gold tint such as more red-brown. I've always considered the dwemer metal objects to have some copper in the alloys, and red-brown is a lot closer to what I'd expect for old versions of these than gold.

I have a slightly different perspective, especially for objects that are inorganic. For inorganic objects I think the color should be related to the real world as well as our understanding of TES lore since physics has a large role in determining color. I also agree it is good to compare shapes, colors, etc. to previous TES games as they help to establish precedent. At the same time I don't feel we should consider the digital artists from previous TES games to be necessarily "correct" when comparing with objects in Skyrim. There are even still arguments between those who far prefer many aspects of Morrowind and those liked Oblivion, including color. After the comment on dwemer metal I looked at some of the texture files in Morrowind for dwemer armor and weapons, and I found some of the vanilla textures (admittedly without looking at these in game) had a lot more intense colors than those in comparable objects in Skyrim. STEP users might not be very happy with these Morrowind objects.

That being said, I agree with the comment about preferring a non-gold tint such as more red-brown. I've always considered the dwemer metal objects to have some copper in the alloys, and red-brown is a lot closer to what I'd expect for old versions of these than gold.

Yep, I am a die-hard Morrowind fan. I really liked the artistic expression of those artists (I wonder how many of them remained through Skyrim?). As I recall, those Dwemer textures had a bit more of a brass/copper tone to them.

As I said, this is a precedent that I could see using as an excuse for Core; however, it is probably best for STEP:Extended.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea of a Dwemer metal retexture.  But I don't think this is a good inclusion personally.  The clean version is too clean and doesn't look old enough to be ruins. With the scratched version there are to many scratches, they are all uniform in size if not length. and they just look like a pattern thrown on top of the texture.

Also old bronze and copper is more splotchy and green if left unattended. It would have more roughness, dents, and divots than all those scratches.  Just do a quick google image search for old or aged bronze and copper to see what I mean.