PondFish and Salmon Replacer (by Nexus79)

ControlledChaos

Let's please not use PNG (or BMP or TIFF) for inline screens on the forums. It takes waaaay too long to load pages and just lags out the forums. Please use JPG in here only or post to an external gallery.

TIA

Sorry, but I really dislike all of the mods. Vanilla is far superior in all cases, IMO.

Definitely, none of this works for Core. Unless we have a pure vanilla HD replacer for pond fish, I think that Core should be left alone. Same goes for Extended (salmon are NOT rainbow trout, which is what the retexture makes them look like).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's please not use PNG (or BMP or TIFF) for inline screens on the forums. It takes waaaay too long to load pages and just lags out the forums. Please use JPG in here only or post to an external gallery.

TIA

Sorry, but I really dislike all of the mods. Vanilla is far superior in all cases, IMO.

Definitely, none of this works for Core. Unless we have a pure vanilla HD replacer for pond fish, I think that Core should be left alone. Same goes for Extended (salmon are NOT rainbow trout, which is what the retexture makes them look like).

I'd have to agree and yet disagree. I agree with the pond fish. They are fine in vanilla, albeit, a bit low res. However, I disagree in saying they are fine for Extended as the replacers do not have to stick to what vanilla pond fish look like. Hence how Pond Fish mod ever made it into STEP in the first place.

As for salmon, it appears to me that the authors are simply using different species for their inspiration. Vanilla and this mod look like Steelhead and STEP's current mod (Food & Ingredients, i think) looks like Pink Salmon, but all still salmon. I still think this mod is closer to vanilla than what STEP is currently using as seen in the OP and wouldn't be a bad replacement for the current mod, Pond Fish.

All MTs should be using Imgur to host there shots. This is the best service for STEP's purposes. If another service is used, please do not use the gallery/image function here on the forums. Instead, provide a link to the gallery hosted on your service.

Thanks

All MTs should be using Imgur to host there shots. This is the best service for STEP's purposes. If another service is used' date=' please do not use the gallery/image function here on the forums. Instead, provide a link to the gallery hosted on your service.[/s']

Thanks

I already do, well I have since I did these shots. I did these before I realized I could make albums for the screenshots like I did for my aMB Caves screenshots.

TIA

I'd have to agree and yet disagree. I agree with the pond fish. They are fine in vanilla, albeit, a bit low res. However, I disagree in saying they are fine for Extended as the replacers do not have to stick to what vanilla pond fish look like. Hence how Pond Fish mod ever made it into STEP in the first place.

As for salmon, it appears to me that the authors are simply using different species for their inspiration. Vanilla and this mod look like Steelhead and STEP's current mod (Food & Ingredients, i think) looks like Pink Salmon, but all still salmon. I still think this mod is closer to vanilla than what STEP is currently using as seen in the OP and wouldn't be a bad replacement for the current mod, Pond Fish.

All MTs should be using Imgur to host there shots. This is the best service for STEP's purposes. If another service is used, please do not use the gallery/image function here on the forums. Instead, provide a link to the gallery hosted on your service.

Please feel free to use the gallery on these forums only if posting JPG format. Other formats are just too large and cause tremendous thread lag. Use whatever service you want, but make sure that the images are labeled and that compares can be done using fast switching with the arrow keys. I have been using DropBox, and it seems to work well for our purposes.

Thanks

The salmon retex from this mod are rainbow trout ... NOT salmon.  I like the pond fish for Extended, but not the *salmon*.

I just don't see it, to be honest. From what I'm looking at the salmon retex looks closer to vanilla that our current one besides the spots.

EDIT:

I had to literally go google and read the differences between salmon and trout. Simply put, get rid of the spots on the retex and it'll be a HD Vanilla retex. However, the addition of the spots makes it more "trouty". Reduce the spots to be smaller and only on the upper 1/3 of the body or get rid of them altogether and you'd have 100% salmon. After reading about it there aren't many differences between a salmon and a trout. :geek:

At any rate, Pond Fish mod needs to go and this one isn't a bad replacer. We can instruct users to delete the salmon textures or use a BCF for Wrye Bash users as we do for other mods.

I just don't see it, to be honest. From what I'm looking at the salmon retex looks closer to vanilla that our current one besides the spots.

EDIT:

I had to literally go google and read the differences between salmon and trout. Simply put, get rid of the spots on the retex and it'll be a HD Vanilla retex. However, the addition of the spots makes it more "trouty". Reduce the spots to be smaller and only on the upper 1/3 of the body or get rid of them altogether and you'd have 100% salmon. After reading about it there aren't many differences between a salmon and a trout. :geek:

At any rate, Pond Fish mod needs to go and this one isn't a bad replacer. We can instruct users to delete the salmon textures or use a BCF for Wrye Bash users as we do for other mods.

Correct. Evolutionarily, all trout are likely relics of salmon populations in ages past ... they just never returned to the ocean after hatching.

Agree that if you remove the spots, the trout would be better salmon. I actually dislike the Food & Ingredients salmon retex and prefer Tobes (or vanilla). In fact, I prefer Tobes in most cases over F&I (I'll go dig up the compares for these two and post back).

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly this mod will be approved. Only for Extended though. I will take care of the maintenance in the morning. Too...indisposed (wine...White Zinfandel & Pink Moscato) at the moment. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

If we like the salmon better from the other mod, then we can add in detailed instructions to remove certain textures from this mod as we do with other mods.