Better Shaped Weapons - BSW (by masterofshadows and LeanWolf)

WilliamImm

I believe that Neo has a working solution for this in SR:LE but we could test other variations as well.

I see Dual Sheath Redux in SR:LE but I don't see BSW, Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux, or Skyrim Weapon De-Larpification. If given higher priority BSW has replacement meshes that would overwrite most of the meshes from Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux, Skyrim Weapon De-Larpification, and Dual Sheath Redux. I don't know of any comparative testing with BSW except for some comparisons with Skyrim Weapon De-Larpification (which produces some rather thin swords).

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't noticed any really thin swords in DeLARP maybe I just haven't seen the ones you're talking about. It really depends on the type of sword. I've practiced with some really thin bladed swords (authentic ones that you could use to chop someones arm off with) it really depends on what they were designed for.

On a side note, if anyone practices fencing (or looking to take it up), and you're a guy; try not to spar with a girl. I've had some bad experiences, even wearing a cup. I've sparred with like 20 girls and they're really vindictive with a foil or epee in their hands (never had an opportunity to spar with a Sabre.

• 4 weeks later...

These obviously need some good compare shots, but from the author's page they look much more believable than the vanilla swords. There is at least one stylistic change that isn't vanilla friendly but is a tiny thing and makes more sense to me when you think about how a sword is used. There is also at least one texture that isn't vanilla friendly and likely more. But we're more interested in the meshes, right? ::):

As is the case with Skyrim Weapon DePARPification project, Dual Sheath Redux, and Greatsword Sheath and Scabbards Redux (all of which have conflicts with BSW and often each other), there are no textures in BSW, only meshes.

I assumed there were some textures because of the screens on his page. My mistake. DSR shouldn't be an issue. The author has created compatible meshes for DSR. It is also my understanding that the author has included scabbards for the great swords so GSSR would most like be dropped if this is added as well as SWDP or at least overwritten. Only way to really know is to try them out in game.

After testing out in-game for a while, I see no reason to not include this in STEP. The weapons (i tested around 10) feel far more believable and realistic over the vanilla paddles. I had the mod overwriting everything and installed the entire mod. This overwrites much of Closer Quivers and Longer Arrows which is undesirable so if accepted those options should not be installed. The DSR patch (meshes) are included as an option and I found no issues when dual welding and dual sheathes. There are also options for refraction version of a few of the swords which look nice.

Suggested load order will be after Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux as not all of this mod nor Skyrim Weapon DeLARPification Project is covered by BSW.

Suggested load order will be after Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux as not all of this mod nor Skyrim Weapon DeLARPification Project is covered by BSW.

Since this mod apparently only contains meshes, did you rather mean installation order?

I am still not sure where to place it, because even if it has some DSR compatible meshes, DSR would still overwrite it, no? And then there is DSR patch itself, which comes even after DSR.(that's just an ESP)

Edited by Octopuss

I have been using this mod for a long time, and I agree it should be included in STEP.

Since this mod apparently only contains meshes, did you rather mean installation order?

I am still not sure where to place it, because even if it has some DSR compatible meshes, DSR would still overwrite it, no? And then there is DSR patch itself, which comes even after DSR.

Yes, it should say 'installation order' rather than 'load order'. As for DSR, I have DSR towards the end of my installation order, and I had to separate DSR meshes from this mod and re-install them as a separate 'mod'. 

After testing out in-game for a while, I see no reason to not include this in STEP. The weapons (i tested around 10) feel far more believable and realistic over the vanilla paddles. I had the mod overwriting everything and installed the entire mod. This overwrites much of Closer Quivers and Longer Arrows which is undesirable so if accepted those options should not be installed. The DSR patch (meshes) are included as an option and I found no issues when dual welding and dual sheathes. There are also options for refraction version of a few of the swords which look nice.

I was under the impression that refraction versions required the relevant mods to be installed first. If this is indeed the case, then we should not install those options. Need confirmation