How do I ddsopt the Automatic Variants?

zodden

Question

Ok the legendary edition says:

For DDSOpt to properly process these textures the contents of the mod folder should be moved into a temporary textures folder prior to processing. After processing is complete, the folders must be moved back to the root folder in both the mod folder and the optimized texture folder.

I guess I did this wrong. Mod Organizer moved all the files from their mod folders to overwrite after the patch completed. I moved them back to their mod folders and then optimized them. So I had two folders. But since the path is not standard it was not like other Optimized folders in MO. I had no optimized folder that I could select and place under (for priority overwrite) the regular mod folder. Since its not data/textures its data/Skyroc patcher/xxx

I wound up just overwriting the textures directly but that leaves no backup.

Can somebody give me better instructions on how to do this step by step? Yes I am slow sometimes! lol

Always keep backups ... at least until you have verified that you have no bad textures.

So annoying to have to run the entire process again!

Especially if you have to start all the way from extracting bsa. archives etc. depending on which type of texture pack you are doing this on.

Speaking of backups. At the completion of SR and all looks/plays well (at the start at least) will making a copy of the steam dir (which includes everything including MO) cover my bacon if something goes wrong and I need to pull that old steam dir back ? Assuming I never tweak the program going forward.

Will the saved games play to a pulled copy of the steam dir ?

I always make a copy of the skyrim directory and put it on a disc or separate (usually portable) HDD whenever I update or install something new like the DLC's so I don't have to download them again if I FUBAR it since they aren't included on the legendary edition disc (seriously wtf it's just the same as my 11/11/11 copy of the skyrim disc but with a fancier silkscreen image on top). Granted you shouldn't really have anything in the Skyrim directory but the files for your ENB if you're using Mod Organizer.

Well I just used the following process.

- Installed AV packages and then ran SUM.

- Then I went into mod organizer/overwrite directory.

- Copied the /textures folder to a temporary location for backup. This folder includes all the AV package textures.

- Then I DDSOpt them all together using 2k textures and 1k normals.

- After that I copied the new DDSopted textures to the /overwrite folder and let it replace all the files

Job done :)

Only drawback is it doesn't give you Mod Organizer control to enable/disable the DDSOpt textures. However you can simply use your backup of the original textures to restore.