Can't use Mouse 4 and Mouse 5, isolating cause is impossible

DJJ

Question

UPDATE: Finally solved!

I finally got my newly-intalled Skyrim fully STEP 2.1 updated. Everything looks amazing, but I've been struggling with the most frustrating input issue and I'm ready to ask for ideas.

The problem is that when I get into Skyrim, Mouse 4 and Mouse 5 do not respond in any way, shape, or form. I can't perform actions already mapped to those buttons, and if I go into the controls menu I can't map them to anything else; it's as if they don't exist.

I went in and started messing with some mod files, specifically things within the Interface folder, to see if I could isolate the cause. At first, moving those files into another, disabled folder appeared to solve the problem and I was able to map and use M4 and M5 normally, so I went about trying to isolate the file(s) responsible. But the game is behaving in a completely nonsensical way; I'll think I have the issue isolated to the PC controls map from Interface Hard Coded Key Tweaks, or a particular swf file from SkyUI or Categorized Favorites Menu, etc. But I'll get the buttons working in a particular configuration, and then when I come back to the exact same configuration later it won't work.

To demonstrate the lunacy of the issue, I can get it working with nothing in my Interface folder except the English strings, then move everything from the above mentioned mods into the Interface folder and have it not work, and then move everything (except strings) out of the Interface folder again and have it still not work. It seemingly decides to work at random but I am not sure whether it's even connected to any of the changes I'm making.

Any thoughts or suggestions? This was never a problem with me before; I stopped playing in February and was using STEP back then, too. My setup is basically STEP 2.1 on the nose, with the following additional mods on top:

Conjuration and Summoning Fixes (All in 1 spell fixes wasn't available)

Convertible Azura's Star Standalone

Disable Auto-Aim

Dragon Souls to Perks

Faster Arrows

Mining More and Faster

No Crit UI SFX

Any help would be greatly appreciated; I've already spent nearly 200 hours playing with M5 as activate and M4 as sprint so it's really hard to break those habits.

Update: I had one other five-button mouse sitting around, both of them are Logitechs. I unplugged the newer Performance Mouse MX and put in the older (a very dirty and disgusting MX510), waited for the drivers to install, and have run the game three times so far with all mods installed and the issue has not occurred. I think it has something to do with the Logitech drivers doing something funny with the buttons on my other mouse, since they can be assigned to perform different functions in the driver software (and I am using Simple Borderless Window so that may affect how input gets processed through Windows before it reaches the game).

8 answers to this question

I had some similar problem with my Performance MX, sometimes button 4 & 5 would work and sometimes it wouldn't cooperate at all. And I couldn't see any logic in when it would work and not.

I did write a small AutoHotkey script to rebind my mouse button 4 & 5 to keyboard buttons and it seems to work. Have done too little testing to say if it completely removed the issue but so far it responds correctly.

Ok, good to know it's not just me. You can enable or disable game detection and game-specific settings in the Logitech drivers; I'll probably tinker around with it later but I've spent so much time setting up, I'm ready to PLAY THIS GAME again! I'll post any results if I can find a driver solution.

I'm still having an issue with both mice. Although they sort of work, I have to spam the activate button to search corpses and look at books, so I end up taking stuff I don't mean to take and it's really annoying. I played around with the driver settings and couldn't find a setting for either mouse that worked consistently. So much for that.

I created an AutoHotkey script that maps Mouse 4 and 5 to M and N, and mapped those controls in-game. Take now works great, but the problem with sprint is that either my mouse drivers or AutoHotkey appear to just deliver one "pulse" instance of the key rather than keep it pressed as long as I'm holding M4, so I only sprint for a split-second at a time. I'm going to dig into the Logitech and AutoHotkey options now to see if I can fix that.

Played the game for three months on the same mouse when it was released; why is this all of a sudden a problem? :wallbash:

Update: I HAVE CONQUERED ALL! You can directly map keystrokes in the Logitech drivers so I changed M4 and M5 from forward and back to M and N and cut out the AutoHotkey middleman. I jumped out of my seat when this worked. In addition, I used the application-specific settings so that the remapping is only valid in Skyrim and the mouse continues to behave normally otherwise. Not very happy with Logitech, the "gaming mouse" company, but at least their drivers were flexible enough to offer a workaround.

It may be driver related, or mouse hardware related. I have a Logitech G500 and I can map M4 and M5 with no problem.

I too could map the keys but sometimes while playing there where no response. I have never encountered this issue anywhere else so problem seems to be something with between Skyrim and drivers. But I dunno, the AHK solution works fine for me so I'm not investigating the problem.

Update: I HAVE CONQUERED ALL! You can directly map keystrokes in the Logitech drivers so I changed M4 and M5 from forward and back to M and N and cut out the AutoHotkey middleman. I jumped out of my seat when this worked. In addition I used the application-specific settings so that the remapping is only valid in Skyrim and the mouse continues to behave normally otherwise. Not very happy with Logitech, the "gaming mouse" company, but at least their drivers were flexible enough to offer a workaround.

Ohh, :) I never checked those settings, I know I checked some time way back and was quite disappointed at what was possible to do with the application-specific settings for the Perfomance MX

I have my M4 set to Use, so I've noticed on some doors I have to hit it twice for some reason before I enter/exit. Is this something you experience as well?

Yes, I would try mapping them to keyboard keys for TESV.exe and see if it's any better. If it works it could turn out to be a general tip for Logitech (or maybe even all) users?

Also, when you're remapping the controls in the game, use your keyboard to set the new keys; I was getting erratic behavior trying to use the newly-mapped mouse buttons to set the controls in the game UI.