RLO vs. ELFX vs. Vanilla

Deathwing514

RLO is my favorite, of couse .. I prefer more realistic approach instead of cinematics/fantasy, the colors of ELFX imagespace are too contrasted, strong for my taste.

In addtion, ELFX has some noticeable performance hit, which makes it not so suitable for users with HTPC form-factor PCs, integrated graphics (APU) and etc.

Both lighting overhauls have their merits. ELFX is more complete currently' date=' however, but there is some good movement coming out of RLO development, and I'm keeping my eyes on that project. I didn't realize ELFX didn't work nicely with COT? Smile44 has them in a Pack together: https://wiki.step-project.com/Pack:Weather_and_Lighting[/quote']

Interesting, I have read of people using the two but it involves making some changes that I'm not 100% sure about. Maybe there have been updates that have allowed them to work together. I'll have to test that out and report back.

Well, for me it's neither and I wouldn't like a lighting solution to be part of STEP:Extended. There are just too many options that are strong on one side while they do have downsides on the other. I'm currently with Opethfeldt ENB which is incompatible with imagespace changing lighting mods so far. But what it does to the exterior lighting, especially weathers is just amazing, for me it's unchallanged amongst ENBs and truly shows off what can be done with ENB (full version 7 is probably released in the next few weeks). I'm sincerely hoping it will have ELE imagespaces support one day.

If ELE gets finished one day it will probably be the biggest contender for STEP inclusion.

I use RLO for a general darker feeling and less "light from nowhere" style of thing.

It's a tossup for me, in some instances I prefer ELFX, in others I prefer RLO, but at the end of the day, certain areas I was seeing a significant performance loss with ELFX and so I decided to stick with RLO.

ELFX just covers a LOT more areas than RLO. I think it is the most complete of all the lighting overhauls. 

Also with ELFX, if you find some corners to dark you can either use an ENB catered to ELFX specifically (e.g. RealVision Performance B or C versions, which cost about 15fps on my system) or you can use a tool like IMAGINATOR to manually adjust quite a few image settings in the game.