I give up

Copywrite85

Question

Hey guys.  I've been a member of this site for months now and a number of you have been extremely helpful.  I am sure you can click my name and see my past posts to get a sense of the issues I have been struggling with.  Ultimately I cannot get my game stable, something always ruins it in the end; I have tried for a quarter of a year now.  Anyways I clearly am incapable of achieving the great stable game a number of you guys are enjoying.  Right now I think the only course of action I have left is to state desired mods and request load order examples from you guys that I can try to copy; this will be the guideline for my last attempt (serious this time) at modding Skyrim.  

-Skyre 

-Asis

-Immersive Patrols

-Skytest (light or full whatever works)

-Cloaks

-Winter is coming

-Wet and cold

-automatic variants

-Immersive weapons and armour

-High level enemies

-Immersive creatures

-Dragon combat overhaul

Yes I have read Irohas Asis and Skyre guide; while I did achieve stable combat at one point I would randomly freeze in the environment anyway (more freezes/ctds than 1 can be comfortable with).    I have a VERY powerful PC, I have achieved script latecy of under 50, my system memory and video memory remain at very safe levels, this past week I have gone on a massive mod purging (currently under 160 with half of my esps being patches); doesn't matter Skyrim crashes and freezes consistenly.  If any of you have builds accommodating a number of my favorite mods It would be a great help if you would just post your mod list and maybe give a little explanation.

Thanks guys

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Default shadow settings are a problem so far. As a result I'm trying some .ini tweaks for just that to try and reduce the last baseline graphical problem I have: flickering med. distance shadows.

Are you using an enb?  They come with a number of shadow options that might rectify your in game issues.  I use realvision, give it a try if you havent yet.

Hey man, I know that feel. In my case it's baseline graphics problems that finally killed me. I don't know whether it's drivers, Skyrim, or what but I can't even get vanilla to run satisfactorily (AA problems, shimmering objects, etc). If I try the usual solutions I just end up with more problems. Radeonpro supposedly changes registry files (not sure if this is true) so now I feel like trying to fix Skyrim has hooped my rig. Wouldn't you know it but I have the same graphical issues, to one extent or another, in every game I have now.

Nothing was wrong with my card or settings BEFORE I got into the deep modding. Makes me miss when I whistled a jaunty tune, clicked through the "this save is reliant on mods no longer installed" warning, added and dropped broken, dirty edited, and snipped mods in Nexus Mod Manager with nary a hiccup in actual gameplay, and so on.

STEP is such a great community when they've seen an issue before or there's an established familiarity with a feature, tool, or mod. Everybody tries to be helpful. There's just black holes in the knowledge about the mechanics of these machines, I guess. Who knows.

Even Bethesda told me to run the game in administrator, close background programs, and update my video drivers. So nobody knows nothing, I feel like. Too bad learning that wrecked my machine.

It sucks doesn't it.  I have invested so much time and I have tasted little bits of the ULTIMATE game; that I keep saying I gotta fix it.  Weeks and weeks go by and then months.

High Level Enemies

Hmmm, what's wrong with HLE?

Phazer is the conservative type, he probably came across a few ppl claiming hle was an issue.  The asis and skyre guide say its safe so I feel the need to get it working.  I know that if you keep skyre enemy scaling and hle its bad news, but I got rid of enemy scaling a LONG time ago.  Im pretty sure its safe.  I have a feeling my issue may be with all those custom patches neovalen instructed us to make...I have updated some mods since then (I usually remove the dated patches by the time I install the new iteration of the mod).  Ofcourse this is just brainstorming; I feel like a significant portion of my daily routine is brainstorming solutions to my Skyrim **** storm.

I apologize for my earlier post. When I made that post, I did not see posts 4,5, and 6(and I made sure to look for any before making a post)  so all I saw was the above post. I still do not think you have trimmed your mod list down enough. Nix ASIS, HLE and DCO and use only Skyrim Revisited plu Iroha's SkyRe guide minus the ASIS. I know this works very well using only the SkyRe plugins and the magic mods as well as the patchers and I personally use this setup. I found it insulting and logically speaking if your setup was safe then you wouldn't be posting here and you wouldn't need us to tell you. I'm going to tell you one more time it is the mods you've added that are not in either Skyrim Revisited or Iroha's guide that are causing your CTD's. Try removing either AV or SkyTest. Pick the mods you can live without and then remove them and see how much better our experience is.

Hey man, I know that feel. In my case it's baseline graphics problems that finally killed me. I don't know whether it's drivers, Skyrim, or what but I can't even get vanilla to run satisfactorily (AA problems, shimmering objects, etc). If I try the usual solutions I just end up with more problems. Radeonpro supposedly changes registry files (not sure if this is true) so now I feel like trying to fix Skyrim has hooped my rig. Wouldn't you know it but I have the same graphical issues, to one extent or another, in every game I have now.

Nothing was wrong with my card or settings BEFORE I got into the deep modding. Makes me miss when I whistled a jaunty tune, clicked through the "this save is reliant on mods no longer installed" warning, added and dropped broken, dirty edited, and snipped mods in Nexus Mod Manager with nary a hiccup in actual gameplay, and so on.

STEP is such a great community when they've seen an issue before or there's an established familiarity with a feature, tool, or mod. Everybody tries to be helpful. There's just black holes in the knowledge about the mechanics of these machines, I guess. Who knows.

Even Bethesda told me to run the game in administrator, close background programs, and update my video drivers. So nobody knows nothing, I feel like. Too bad learning that wrecked my machine.

It sucks doesn't it.  I have invested so much time and I have tasted little bits of the ULTIMATE game; that I keep saying I gotta fix it.  Weeks and weeks go by and then months.

High Level Enemies

Hmmm, what's wrong with HLE?

Phazer is the conservative type, he probably came across a few ppl claiming hle was an issue.  The asis and skyre guide say its safe so I feel the need to get it working.  I know that if you keep skyre enemy scaling and hle its bad news, but I got rid of enemy scaling a LONG time ago.  Im pretty sure its safe.  I have a feeling my issue may be with all those custom patches neovalen instructed us to make...I have updated some mods since then (I usually remove the dated patches by the time I install the new iteration of the mod).  Ofcourse this is just brainstorming; I feel like a significant portion of my daily routine is brainstorming solutions to my Skyrim **** storm.
I apologize for my earlier post. When I made that post, I did not see posts 4,5, and 6(and I made sure to look for any before making a post)  so all I saw was the above post. I still do not think you have trimmed your mod list down enough. Nix ASIS, HLE and DCO and use only Skyrim Revisited plu Iroha's SkyRe guide minus the ASIS. I know this works very well using only the SkyRe plugins and the magic mods as well as the patchers and I personally use this setup. I found it insulting and logically speaking if your setup was safe then you wouldn't be posting here and you wouldn't need us to tell you. I'm going to tell you one more time it is the mods you've added that are not in either Skyrim Revisited or Iroha's guide that are causing your CTD's. Try removing either AV or SkyTest. Pick the mods you can live without and then remove them and see how much better our experience is.
No apologies necessary, would u mind posting ur mod list?

@OP: if you will keep messing with an existing save, i.e. keep removing mods, you will screw your game for good. NEVER remove scripted mods from an existing save unless you have an earlier clean save. You say that you removed ASIS for couple of weeks... then added it again? This is no good. Always make a modlist to play with, and once you know which mods you want to use start a new game and don't mess with your mod load. You can add mods, no problem, but always keep a clean save from before adding a mod, then test that mod for some time so you can always remove it and then reload the clean save.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

@OP: if you will keep messing with an existing save, i.e. keep removing mods, you will screw your game for good. NEVER remove scripted mods from an existing save unless you have an earlier clean save. You say that you removed ASIS for couple of weeks... then added it again? This is no good. Always make a modlist to play with, and once you know which mods you want to use start a new game and don't mess with your mod load. You can add mods, no problem, but always keep a clean save from before adding a mod, then test that mod for some time so you can always remove it and then reload the clean save.

Hey rootsrat.  Yeh I start a new game every time I change mods.  I actually run a cool stability test every mod shuffle that was taught to me by Aiyen.  I'd be willing to share if anyones interested; the procedure tests allot of spawn points across the world in about 15 min or so.

Default shadow settings are a problem so far. As a result I'm trying some .ini tweaks for just that to try and reduce the last baseline graphical problem I have: flickering med. distance shadows.

I only know the Nvidia equivalents but do you have 'negative lod bias' set to allow, and 'antialiasing - gamma correction' set to off?

Hey rootsrat.  Yeh I start a new game every time I change mods.  I actually run a cool stability test every mod shuffle that was taught to me by Aiyen.  I'd be willing to share if anyones interested; the procedure tests allot of spawn points across the world in about 15 min or so.
Please do share the procedure :)

Please do share the procedure :)
1. on main menu type 'coc riverwood'

2. once in game type 'player.setav speedmult 500'

3. then type 'tgm'

4. run from riverwood to falkreath to malkarath to solitude to dawnstar to winterhold to windhelm to riften (trying to stick to the roads)

5. hopefully you made it 75% of the way before you crashed.

I once made it to just outside of Riften.  I let out a war cry essentially because I thought I was finally stable.  Crashed before first major quest starting a new game.  My problem is erratic but IMO this is a sound trial before committing to a  new game.  There's also a cliff notes version I try out.

1. on main menu type 'coc falkreath' or 'coc riverwood'

2. once in game type 'tgm'

3. run around and fight ^&*$ 

4. hopefully you didn't crash

Thanks for sharing copywrite85. It sounds like a good method to me. However, multiplying the speed should logically also multiply the stress thrown at the game. While this is great indeed for testing purposes, being less than 100% stable in this sort of test does not necessarily mean that a game is unstable under normal conditions. I take it that you already test under this assumption, seeing as you say "hopefully you made it 75% of the way before you crashed".

I'll surely be using this for a couple of days though to see how it works out :)

Thanks for sharing copywrite85. It sounds like a good method to me. However, multiplying the speed should logically also multiply the stress thrown at the game. While this is great indeed for testing purposes, being less than 100% stable in this sort of test does not necessarily mean that a game is unstable under normal conditions. I take it that you already test under this assumption, seeing as you say "hopefully you made it 75% of the way before you crashed".

I'll surely be using this for a couple of days though to see how it works out :)

The cliff notes test I don't edit speed so it should give you a good idea of both max stress/normal.

Hmmm, I did a test run from riverwood all the way to riften fighting every single enemy on the way just now.  Major changes for this run:

-removed all custom tes5edit patches from Revisted/asis+skyre guide and opted to use a merged patch instead

-got rid of alternate start live another life

-got rid of bellyaches new dragon species (I thought it was just a retexture mod but I encountered MUCH less dragons; this is actually a win win because I thought I was fighting way too many dragons with my build.  I honestly think I've had this mod active since the beginning...who knows maybe it was a long standing issue I just discovered)

-Got rid of a bunch of mods altering the map and other small things

Ill be starting a new game later today *fingers crossed