Weather and Lighting (by Smile44)

THIS PACK IS NOW FULLY FUNCTIONAL BUT IN A BETA STAGE I SUPPOSE - IF YOU TRY IT OUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO THAT I CAN IRON OUT ANY KINKS - PARTICULARLY IN THE DESCRIPTIONS IT SHOULD ALL WORK FINE AND LOOK GREAT. - LINK IS BELOW. :)

Hi I came across this collection of mods while putting my game together many of which I have only just started using. They seem to work really well together and make the weather look really spectacular in Skyrim - you actually want to get inside not just because Frostfall tells you to. Give them a whirl and see what you think. There are no special instructions for install other than the obvious and BOSS sorts the load order out.

Climates Of Tamriel - 3.1 include Dawnguard and Dragonborn Patches (Falskaar patch if you have that). LINK
Climates Of Tamriel - Weather Patch - Fog Rain Overcast - 2.72 include Supreme Storms Patch. LINK
Climates Of Tamriel - Weather Patch - Snow - 2.1 LINK Use the main plugin unless you have HQ Snow Textures in which case use that one (recommended)
Expanded Snow Systems - Climates of Tamriel Version - 3.15 LINK
Lightning during Thunder Storms - 23.0 LINK
Lightning during Thunder Storms - Climates of Tamriel - Patch - 3.1 LINK
Morning Fogs V1.2 LINK
Quality SnowFlakes HD V2 LINK
Realistic Sun for Climates of Tamriel and Vanilla - 2.0 LINK
Splash of Rain - 1.04 LINK
Supreme Storms For CoT - 3.1 LINK

:)

EDIT 1: Removed Real Rain and Fog mods - as not needed with Climates Of Tamriel - Weather Patch - Fog Rain Overcast - my bad I though the mod was proposing to these things rather than actually doing them all that happened was that the removed mods were overwriting the other but weather seems to look just as good without and as always less is more.

Thanks Aiyen for drawing my attention to this.

EDIT 1a. Due to recent contribution from prod80 I have put Morning Fogs mod back as it is fully compatible and looks great.
EDIT 2: Some lighting suggestions that go really well with this weather pack suggestion.
EDIT 3: Added in Climates Of Tamriel - Weather Patch - Snow, I use this and it is worth having.
EDIT 4: Added Unreal Cinema ENB as an option.
EDIT 5: Updated instructions and added Realistic Nights to the list.
EDIT 6: Replaced Morning Fogs with Morning Fogs Refined and added Dramatic Clouds as an option. Updated instructions in Weather Patch with respect to using Realistic Nights.

Climates of Tamriel: As stated above.
install with all on default without extra modules and also Dawnguard and Dragonborn Patch if you have this DLCs active

Realistic Lighting Overhaul: 4.07c LINK
install Realistic Lighting Overhaul 4_0_7c NMM-BAINWizard Installer and activate all modules except Adaptive Interiors Vanilla Weathers

Enhanced Lights and FX: 0.32 LINK
install core + enhancer interior but without exterior module and if you have Dawnguard DLC active also install Enhanced Lights and FX 0.31 Dawnguard.

In this instance I am using RealVision ENB as it makes the surroundings come alive but still keeping it real. You can use either the Full Version of the performance version. If you plan on adding gameplay mods that include lots of scripts and or add extra spawns then I would go with the performance version - pesky skyrim game engine.

Download the latest ENB LINK and install d3d9.dll file and enbhost.exe into skyrim folder and the all the files from Realvision you need Option A for RLO and Option B for ELFX. Do not install the Data folder here install it as a separate mod in MO. You do not need the texture files as they will be overwritten by Real Sun.

You will need to install the Skyrim particle patch but this does depend on which Water mod you use, not needed with RW2. If using this then install it before the weather mods except for the water patch which of course should be after WATER.

I have the weather mods installed before ELFX and the RealVision Data file after ELFX with Real Sun following that.

This is working really well for me but I dare say it could be improved in different ways lots of good knowledge and experience on this forum.

I recoomend ELFX for now - lighting looks great, weather looks amazing (I'd say feels amazing, but well just seems wrong for a video game), dungeons are dark but not impossibly so, nights vary depending on weather etc.. but can be very dark (sometimes) which is at it should be, sometimes it is not a good night for exploring - more dangerous.

I set Minty's lightning mod to hostile in the settings as this seems realistic - I have been killed or seriously wounded by this (not often but it can happen) which is at it should be if I'm stupid enough to go exploring in the open dring a thunder storm wearing los of metal and waving a big metal sword - asking for it really.

I have shameleesly pinched some of SkyrimTuner's (RealVision) advice from his mod page for this - it works for me and , well we've all got to learn stuff from somewhere.

WIKI LINK   PLease give me some feedback on this so I can improve on it.

The weather patch that does the fog is still in BETA and so the mod version I suggest is not that one, of course it may well mean that Supreme fog and morning fog would no longer be needed which is all to the good.

Edit: It seems that Real Rain is not recommended with the Climates Of Tamriel - Weather Patch but it does do the rain better. When the mod comes out of BETA I will look at it again but for now I like what these give me.

Edit 2: I'm going to have a look in game to see if I can get away without Manny's fog mods and real rain, if the effect is as good then I will change my suggestions.

Edit 3: Changes made.

If you like the effect from Real Rain you can just copy in the texture you wish to use, and use the CoT version.

All it does is link the texture to the CoT rain so its used. It does not actively alter any of the weathers. You would have to use some of the extended versions of the mod... as I recall anyways.

I agree although there are several ways to go in this and none of the specific lighting packs ELFX, RLO etc are fully complete as yet, but I will add the ones I am using along with the ENB as a suggestion. for this pack but and perhaps alternative suggestions, I'll do one for ELFX and RLO but stick with the same ENB.

Edit: OK I have updated the OP with lighting suggestions. I'm sure with a little input we could could put this pack (or version thereof) to bed quite easily but with a variety of different ENB / lighting variations to choose from.

I agree although there are several ways to go in this and none of the specific lighting packs ELFX, RLO etc are fully complete as yet, but I will add the ones I am using along with the ENB as a suggestion. for this pack but and perhaps alternative suggestions, I'll do one for ELFX and RLO but stick with the same ENB.

Edit: OK I have updated the OP with lighting suggestions. I'm sure with a little input we could could put this pack (or version thereof) to bed quite easily but with a variety of different ENB / lighting variations to choose from.

Feel free to begin experimenting with our Pack-creation tools if you would like to build a guide for this ... you would be the author ;)

Feel free to drop me a PM on Nexus (I'm not much on these forums) in case you wanna combine 2 things together which have no patch and cant co-exist, I'd be happy to assist for better and more dynamic weathers. Btw, morning fogs is fully compatible with my CoT weather patch ;)

Now I go back to troubleshooting my nif files for the volumetric fog... headaches, headaches. Anyone know a nif effect expert willing to give a hand? :P

Thanks for showing interest in my mods :)

Cheers,

prod80

Hi Z' date=' I have sent you a PM but my sent messages folder says that it and many other PMs are N/A Not Sent? Not sure what is going on there but if you have received it then please let me know so that I know the system is working.

This is a DB issue that popped up after the last server move. It will be fixed after we move over to the new server.

Feel free to drop me a PM on Nexus (I'm not much on these forums) in case you wanna combine 2 things together which have no patch and cant co-exist, I'd be happy to assist for better and more dynamic weathers. Btw, morning fogs is fully compatible with my CoT weather patch ;)

Now I go back to troubleshooting my nif files for the volumetric fog... headaches, headaches. Anyone know a nif effect expert willing to give a hand? :P

Thanks for showing interest in my mods :)

Cheers,

prod80

Heya prod. Thanks for joining. You may be interested in where we are going with STEP, and your mod will likely be a significant contribution to one of our Packs. your contribution is also very welcome, so thanks.

OM me on the Nexus and we can affiliate you with the Mod Author group on these forums ;)

Nice to hear :) just have to work out some rather annoying (at least for me, but nothing game breaking) issues at this point with the volumetric fog before I'll even considder taking it out of beta... start to understand why such effects are not in the game in the first place.

If you use Volumetric Fog by MannyGT, then my Fog patch (which adds Volumetric fog based on particle system - which is very different than what Manny's mod is doing) you will loose some of my weathers.

To get it clear these are all the fog weathers in CoT, I marked the ones in Manny and some edits in what is left:

*1 - Thunder (_T weathers) from CoT removed because it's too bright in Fog (I guess that's also why MannyGT's mod doesnt add fog to thunder). Minty's Lighting during Thunderstorms CoT version can be used to add thunder again, this is fine as you can tweak the brightness of the flashes: Set Fork lightning in MCM menu to Animation time 0.03 and Bloom intensity 0.7 and lighting will look fine during fog weathers.

045868 - CoTFog_1 //In Supreme and Volumetric Fog

045869 - CoTFog_1_T //*1

04586A - CoTFog_2 //In Supreme and Volumetric Fog

04586B - CoTFog_2_T //*1

04586C - CoTFog_3 //In Supreme and Volumetric Fog

04586D - CoTFog_3_T //*1

04586E - CoTFog_4 //In Supreme and Volumetric Fog

04586F - CoTFog_4_T //*1

045870 - CoTFog_5 //In Supreme and Volumetric Fog

045871 - CoTFog_5_T //*1

045872 - CoTFog_6 //In Supreme and Volumetric Fog

045873 - CoTFog_6_T //*1

047E2E - CoTFogWind

053567 - CoTFogRIFTEN_1

053568 - CoTFogRIFTEN_1_T //*1

053569 - CoTFogRIFTEN_2

05356A - CoTFogRIFTEN_2_T //*1

05356B - CoTFogRIFTEN_3

05356C - CoTFogRIFTEN_4

05356D - CoTFogRIFTEN_3_T //*1

05356E - CoTFogRIFTEN_4_T //*1

05356F - CoTFogRIFTEN_5

053570 - CoTFogRIFTEN_5_T //*1

053571 - CoTFogRIFTEN_6

053572 - CoTFogRIFTEN_6_T //*1

053573 - CoTFogRIFTENWind

@z; PM sent

Yours is superior to his, since his had clipping issues with ENB. Mainly at mountains and the far LOD. Yours does not. Hence why I changed to your version!

In general I am very happy with your work, and it reflects many things that I was almost about to do since many of the weathers in CoT just does not make sense. However now I have made my own ENB preset from the ground up which addresses most of these issues, making sure that just about all weathers, with your patches included, looks great!

Still need to go over it all in tes5edit... but overall it works nicely ingame when testing using fw.

I think it is better all round if I leave out Supreme and Volumetric as I can't see a lot of difference between the two with regards to seams etc.. I will happily defer to Aiyen in this and trust his judgement.

By the way prod80 I really like what your mod does and cannot imagine having CoT installed without your patches - great job.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.