Building packs on the WIKI

Smile44

Question

Notice from Admin

July 11th, 2017

The Pack structure was never finished on the wiki and will be discontinued with the release of STEP 3.0. Packs will be moving to Mod Picker at that time and the Pack structure on the wiki will be stripped away. It is currently unknown what will happen to the current pack pages. This information can not be known until develop starts in that area.

Community member are, therefore, highly discouraged from using the Pack system on the wiki. The links on the wiki have been hidden, though the Pack form remains in place for current packs authors.

For those of you wanting to build a guide that isn't an official Pack, please use your personal user space on the wiki.

This user space is found at: wiki.step-project.com/User:Username

For example: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:TechAngel85

Getting Started

To begin creating a Pack and testing out the alpha implementation of the Pack-Guide-Creation-Engine (powered by Semantic Mediawiki), navigate to:
LINK REMOVED by Admin

Simply enter the name of your Pack (make it short and sweet for easier reference ... and please do not prefix with "STEP") and begin using the tool. Note that any mods to be included within any Pack must also be on the wiki. Many are already, but if not, please use the mod Form to create the mod page of interest:
https://wiki.step-project.com/Form:Mod

We aren't providing much instruction at this point, because we'd like people to mess around and learn how the wiki works in general.

Post in this forum for help if you get stuck!

OP:

This doesn't seem to be working for me, I'm having the issue where the popup window is really small.  Did that fix not get ported over from the Devwiki?

I'm making my queries here in lieu of a specific thread section being formed to address "Pack" support as suggested by Z.

!) I would like to change the Page title in line with the other Pack headings, more specifically from "STEP Weather Pack WIP" to Pack: Weather - this may not be final as there is a lighting element to this but there must be an easy way to edit that short of deleting the page and starting again.

2) I'm not sure how to add the mod lists. I can see the button but then nothing useful happens. This maybe because the facility to do this isn't active on these pages as yet but the tables do appear in the test pages for packs.

Any help were would be splendid.

:)

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

@Smile44

Are you using Firefox? I have noticed some inconsistent behavior with the popup form in Firefox. This is the form used for editing the already-created pack page (when you click the button to "Edit Modlist"). Other browsers seem to work fine. FF still works, but it is not consistent. I think it is the js.

Changing the Pack name is the same as changing the page name, which is the same as moving the page. Moving any page in the wiki is as simple as using Page Tools > Move.

Yes I've done that it just seems inefficient to have to move it. I have changed things now as it stands. The form works propeerly now and appears differently than it used to so clearly something has changed. I use Opera by the way - by far the smoothest WB I have used - Firefox is snail pace by comparison.

Tried to Set up a Pack Main purpose to see what's involved with ultimate goal of automatically creating an profile in Mod Organizer using core and pack system

I am not looking at auto downloading as am aware of issues Nexus has but am looking at using Mod Organizers ability to open correct Nexus Mod Pages in consecutive tabs to enable a speedy download and whether other Data could be automatically imported much like Nexus page info is already

All just Ideas and speculation for now need permission to edit packs to start assessing feasability of ideas

Also Old STEP was restricted to Nexus Mods with the odd special case like SkSE will this be the same for packs and I don't mean Steam Workshop but sites without silly restrictions ModDB for instance certain authors don't use Nexus

Tried to Set up a Pack Main purpose to see what's involved with ultimate goal of automatically creating an profile in Mod Organizer using core and pack system

I am not looking at auto downloading as am aware of issues Nexus has but am looking at using Mod Organizers ability to open correct Nexus Mod Pages in consecutive tabs to enable a speedy download and whether other Data could be automatically imported much like Nexus page info is already

All just Ideas and speculation for now need permission to edit packs to start assessing feasability of ideas

Also Old STEP was restricted to Nexus Mods with the odd special case like SkSE will this be the same for packs and I don't mean Steam Workshop but sites without silly restrictions ModDB for instance certain authors don't use Nexus

You have access to edit Packs now ;)

You can point to any mod viua any link outside of Nexus. Just create the mod page and add the custom external link using the form. Be sure to name the mod according to its official name (unless it is long or wordy, then use something shorter to keep nice URLs)

Just posting some back-&-forth I had with tehherb over PM. Thought it might be more useful out here:

On the wiki where my user name was it is now displaying my ip however on the forums it shows my account correctly

you need to log onto the wiki.
cool, thanks. everything seems to be working and I've been playing around with page but i've moved it to rename it twice and have since realised I've left redirects. Just so you're aware if you want to remove them (i think you should) Immersive Survival is the current name, previously Immersive Hunter Surivival and originally Realistic Survival.
You should be able to delete redirect pages by clicking on the redirect link on the final page and using Page Tools > Delete after you get to the redirect page.
I've realised that what's causing the issue is that if you edit the mod list like you would on wikipedia any text i put there is global. Is there any way to make this private because with some basic table structure it looks quite good I feel. I tried to sort of keep the same style as the main STEP guide to make it more easily understood after installing STEP.

Posted Image

Please do not play with any of the templates on the wiki. Many are hooked into Semantic Mediawiki, so if you are not familiar with this coding, then leave it to us (or better yet, learn how to code SMW, we could use the help! ... Google Semantic Mediawiki.). We also define styles using CSS classes, and we are not at all concerned with look at this time... only functionality. If you use the built-in mod table tools and allow the structure to work as intended, it should do just fine. We can improve the interface once we get the needed feedback.

Valiant effort out there, but you are circumventing the purpose and all of the mechanics. Please save all of your relevant text and I will remove the current table so that it can be rebuilt using the intended mechanics. We can work on the styling later ... this is in alpha remember ;)

I'll check back after you have finished copying all of the relevant content you need (i.e. notes in the table and the mod list and order).

TIA

You mentioned css classes, is it possible to use the classes you've set up on pack pages? if so would it be possible to see them? Yeah, I noticed just now after figuring out how to add mods that I didn't utilise any of the set up really and did an unecessary amount of copy-pasting table code lol.

I have a bit of feedback if you're interested.

how to add mods wasn't really clear, to me at least. it says add modlist on the page itself (after creating a modlist in the Pack Form settings) which made me think it was going to give me the same options rather than giving me options for text before and after as well as the add mod button.

I'm not sure if there's another way to do this but the only way i can get to the settings is loading the page through the form for creating pack pages. am I missing something or is this the only way intended to reach these settings.

perhaps adding a third column to the mod template or even better a user defined amount could be very useful? it makes it a lot easier to visually link certain bits of info to certain mods. just a thought.

I know it's all in alpha but the menus and options are just a little clunky and less than user friendly.

i'd also like to just thank you guys for step in general, I've used it for a while now and love how easy and straightforward (albeit time consuming) you make it to mod skyrim to hell. made an account specifically to mess with the pack thing as it felt like a good way to try and give something back :) keep up the good work.

We will make it pretty once we have the mechanics working correctly.

To create a Pack:

• Navigate to Form:Pack
  • Enter in a logical name for the pack and click [Create or Edit] (please do not include the work "Pack" or "STEP" in the name)
  • The Pack Form is presented - Please carefully read the instructions on the form!
  • Save the Pack when finished editing (edit the Pack at any time by repeating these steps)
  • All Packs are added to Category:Packs once created
If at least one Mod Table was created using the Pack Form, then the resulting Pack page will have a button --> [Add Modlist] or [Edit Modlist] ... for each table placeholder. These buttons call up another form for adding mods and mod notes to the list. This form allows for addition of text before and after each table. Wiki markup and template calls are allowed. It is a little clunky, but the functionality is there to allow construction of simple Packs to much more complex mod guides like STEP:Core or Skyrim Revisited.

Table forms are still buggy. Save button rarely does anything - sometimes it works and then not. I am planning a Survival pack to include Frostfall, needs, cloaks etc and a Requiem on Steroids pack to include mods that add spawns and new lands that are compatible with Requiem. I know that there is another survival pack in the works but I do not know to what extent it is in development and how compatible it will be with my packs so my version of this will be aimed at fitting in with Requiem as well as being standalone.

But I am hesitant as my new Base Requiem pack is up without a modlist due to buggy table issues. Refreshing the page does nothing at all. Although tomorrow is another day and the table forms may work then.

Ok I just edited the wrong template and then it said 'test test test' on every pack page's pre-installation setup section... Ugh I have some things to learn about editing wiki stuff :P

(I removed the 'test test test' again)

NEVER edit templates... that affects every single Pack page. Use only the Forms to make your edits (Page Tools > Edit With form). I will take a look.

EDIT: Please tell me how you arrived at the template page ... I want to prevent users from easily arriving at these pages.

How do I add mods to the Mod List table that are not in the list?

I'm trying to add Skyrim Redone but every time I leave the field where I type the name, the field automatically becomes empty. Tried looking for T3nd0s and SkyRe but to no avail.

As a test I added in a random known one (Skyrim Redesigned) and that works...

EDIT: Okay I just read: "These blocks will (new Packs) or already (existing Packs) contain a mod list that is not configurable until this Pack page is created." What does it mean, pack page created? Until it is created by you (some kind of feature I guess) or is it a page that needs to be created by me?

EDIT2: I did a temporary workaround using multiple mod tables and using only introduction and outtroduction but that doesn't look nice either

EDIT3: Ok I think I understand now. The pack page means the individual mod page on the wiki, right? 

How do I add mods to the Mod List table that are not in the list?

I'm trying to add Skyrim Redone but every time I leave the field where I type the name, the field automatically becomes empty. Tried looking for T3nd0s and SkyRe but to no avail.

As a test I added in a random known one (Skyrim Redesigned) and that works...

EDIT: Okay I just read: "These blocks will (new Packs) or already (existing Packs) contain a mod list that is not configurable until this Pack page is created." What does it mean, pack page created? Until it is created by you (some kind of feature I guess) or is it a page that needs to be created by me?

First, you create the pack page using the Form. At this time, you will define one or more mod list tables defined by the Pack. Each table can contain one or more mods; however, you cannot edit the mods within each table until the tables have been created, and this in turn depends on the Pack itself being created. Once this is done, the Pack page will have one or more buttons corresponding to each mod table defined during pack creation. these will say "Add Modlist" or "Edit Modlist" if it is new or being edited, respectively. Mods cannot be added in this way unless the corresponding mod pages have been created on the wiki (see Form:Mod to do that). you know if a mod page exists already if you see the mod available in the dropdown as you begin typing the mod name.

If a mod does not seem to exist, it still may exist under a slight name variation, so do a search of the wiki (lower right) to be certain before creating the mod page.

HTH