Building packs on the WIKI

Smile44

Question

Notice from Admin

July 11th, 2017

The Pack structure was never finished on the wiki and will be discontinued with the release of STEP 3.0. Packs will be moving to Mod Picker at that time and the Pack structure on the wiki will be stripped away. It is currently unknown what will happen to the current pack pages. This information can not be known until develop starts in that area.

Community member are, therefore, highly discouraged from using the Pack system on the wiki. The links on the wiki have been hidden, though the Pack form remains in place for current packs authors.

For those of you wanting to build a guide that isn't an official Pack, please use your personal user space on the wiki.

This user space is found at: wiki.step-project.com/User:Username

For example: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:TechAngel85

Getting Started

To begin creating a Pack and testing out the alpha implementation of the Pack-Guide-Creation-Engine (powered by Semantic Mediawiki), navigate to:
LINK REMOVED by Admin

Simply enter the name of your Pack (make it short and sweet for easier reference ... and please do not prefix with "STEP") and begin using the tool. Note that any mods to be included within any Pack must also be on the wiki. Many are already, but if not, please use the mod Form to create the mod page of interest:
https://wiki.step-project.com/Form:Mod

We aren't providing much instruction at this point, because we'd like people to mess around and learn how the wiki works in general.

Post in this forum for help if you get stuck!

OP:

This doesn't seem to be working for me, I'm having the issue where the popup window is really small.  Did that fix not get ported over from the Devwiki?

I'm making my queries here in lieu of a specific thread section being formed to address "Pack" support as suggested by Z.

!) I would like to change the Page title in line with the other Pack headings, more specifically from "STEP Weather Pack WIP" to Pack: Weather - this may not be final as there is a lighting element to this but there must be an easy way to edit that short of deleting the page and starting again.

2) I'm not sure how to add the mod lists. I can see the button but then nothing useful happens. This maybe because the facility to do this isn't active on these pages as yet but the tables do appear in the test pages for packs.

Any help were would be splendid.

:)

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Damn jsut finished the mod list. Changed its name and... it's gone! lol :P

Fixed it again though.

I am still working on a solution to aid in changing the modlist name. It breaks because the feferences to the original name don't get updated and nither does the page that the modlist sits on.

The last 2 mods that I add do not show up when I go to the main pack page (https://wiki.step-project.com/Pack:VEGA_Extended)

They do show up in the 'edit modlist' window, so they are actually added. 

When I added a 2nd modtable, the missing last 2 mods form the first modtable suddenly showed up in the first table.

EDIT: In fact, no mods show up anymore... No matter which one I add to the mod list table, it won't actually appear in the table.

EDIT2: The issue is resolved when a new mod table is added... All the missing entries will appear in the other mod tables.

Would it be possible to have a specific pack related mod page for certain mods? It would really help if we could store Requiem related installation and compatibility information for some mods on a separate page.

Another thing that might be desirable would be a pack development sub forum. If more packs pop up, are WIP or people collaborate, it could clean things up a little.

Would it be possible to have a specific pack related mod page for certain mods? It would really help if we could store Requiem related installation and compatibility information for some mods on a separate page.

Another thing that might be desirable would be a pack development sub forum. If more packs pop up, are WIP or people collaborate, it could clean things up a little.

Mod pages are not tied to Packs, nor do we want them to be in the current paradigm, as this would cause a lot of redundancy. We may look at a potential solution in the future ... a possible solution would be to add a Pack reference section to existing mod pages that would house links to pack-specific mod info. We could also use mod subpages, but that is an arbitrary hierarchical org structure with only one single 'branch'. We could use sub-properties or sub-categories, but it all requires more dev, which is not something we can do at the moment.

We already have a Pack dev subforum (it is more than just that though):

https://forum.step-project.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=85

Why can't we add something to the mod pages, like a separate tab on the form that allows regular wiki editing below the section STEP requires for the guide.

The only tab that would require permission is the Recommendations tab, which is how it is now. I looked at the data dictionary and not sure how all that works, but I imagine it would be another Template under section 4.

Is there a difficulty and in adding to the data dictionary if the section added is isolated to mod pages and not going to be called on by the guide, kinda like the Gallery tab of the form?

Mod pages are not tied to Packs, nor do we want them to be in the current paradigm, as this would cause a lot of redundancy. We may look at a potential solution in the future ... a possible solution would be to add a Pack reference section to existing mod pages that would house links to pack-specific mod info. We could also use mod subpages, but that is an arbitrary hierarchical org structure with only one single 'branch'. We could use sub-properties or sub-categories, but it all requires more dev, which is not something we can do at the moment.

I'm just saying that would really be helpful because some mods require quite some installation instruction if used with Requiem, especially if you want everything to be modular. If we put all that on the guide it can get really cluttered (essentially the same reason the STEP guide outsources that information).

We already have a Pack dev subforum (it is more than just that though):

https://forum.step-project.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=85

If someone joins Smile and me in development of our new Requiem pack there might be quite some development talk coming up that cannot be handled by PM alone. It might clutter up the thread. But like I said I'm not sure this is needed at all, it was just a thought.

The way most packs are structured: One man project with input from other users, the current structure is probably better.

Why can't we add something to the mod pages, like a separate tab on the form that allows regular wiki editing below the section STEP requires for the guide.

The only tab that would require permission is the Recommendations tab, which is how it is now. I looked at the data dictionary and not sure how all that works, but I imagine it would be another Template under section 4.

Is there a difficulty and in adding to the data dictionary if the section added is isolated to mod pages and not going to be called on by the guide, kinda like the Gallery tab of the form?

Problem is that mod pages are associated with the main guide and we don't want to have any information on them that is not maintained by us. If pack authors begin adding their own specific notes to this, then it gets very cluttered and confusing ... and potentially will not be maintained by pack authors (and we don't want to have the added burden of maintaining and servicing Pack-specific questions)

The best solution is to have ancillary mod pages that are associated with specific Packs. Definitely worth developing and implementing, but not as a hack to current mod-page format as a short-term solution. As I said, it might be best to devise a form linked to mod pages that creates the associated Pack-specific mod pages that produces a link to that page on a special Pack section of each mod page. The list of links (probably using Pack PAGENAME would be updated automatically via SMW). The form could be invoked from the mod tables dev form.

Would need to ask s4n how best to design though. I will add it to the Packs 'wish' list on the Data Dictionary project talk page.

EDIT: dev note added to the Dictionary page (scroll down on the Mods tab). Anyone fel free to add any additional wanted features to the notes on this wiki page under the appropriate tab.